Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a report on Jalopnik about hackers duplicating key fobs to steal cars, mostly BMWs, without even setting off the alarm...

Watch Hackers Steal A BMW In Three Minutes

Hopefully Ford is paying attention and has designed a method that is harder to duplicate the key fobs (but without costing more if a legit copy is needed).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Bigger question is can those hackers drive stick? :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hate to break it to you but the vast majority of those keyfobs are manufactured and sold by the same supplier continental automotive (formerly Siemens VDO). I've been to their manufacturing facility in Regensburg, Germany a few times for design reviews of a sensor I am working on. You really don't want to know how much they really cost to produce ;?

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Steal a Focus or a BMW.....hmmm....this is one time I'm glad there's not much status attached to the car.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Hate to break it to you but the vast majority of those keyfobs are manufactured and sold by the same supplier continental automotive (formerly Siemens VDO). I've been to their manufacturing facility in Regensburg, Germany a few times for design reviews of a sensor I am working on. You really don't want to know how much they really cost to produce ;?
Actually I do...maybe like $2-4 each?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steal a Focus or a BMW.....hmmm....this is one time I'm glad there's not much status attached to the car.
This is actually one of the criteria I used when selecting the ST. The area I live in (Windermere, FL) is loaded with Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and other "status" cars, so I figure my humble Focus ST is far less likely to be targeted by professional thieves.

Reactions: oaxa

·
Registered
869 Posts
Bigger question is can those hackers drive stick? :)
Lol. Yeah, I heard a story on the radio not long ago about the second car thief authorities had caught in a week because they mistakenly stole MT cars that they couldn't drive.

You don't even have to get beaten in prison for that. You can just get shamed to death.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah, it's sad but if you live in the US the best anti-theft device can be owning a manual.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This article is two years old, but it states that in 2010, only 5.5% of cars for sale (on AOL Autos) had a manual...

Check The Manual (Transmission): Stick Shift Cars Going Away

That figure could be even lower now. A lot of my friends think I'm nuts when I tell them I PREFER a manual, not just that I know how to drive one. I never thought of it before, but maybe a manual is a good anti-theft feature (in America).

Reactions: sk8parker94

·
Registered
753 Posts
Some of my friends only drive manuals. When I bought my Mustang I had promised myself I would only buy one with a manual and I'd force myself to learn how to drive it. Now that I have I love driving it so much that I don't want to drive an automatic anymore, it's juts so boring.

Unfortuantely most American manufacturers only put manual transmissions in sport cars or very cheap economy vehicles. Everything else gets automatics now adays. But that's more due to the fact that people in America are lazy and don't want to bother driving a stick because if they did they wouldn't be able to text/put on make up/eat lunch while driving :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
lol, this is true, even if they could I'm worse than a paranoid parent when it comes to anyone else driving my cars. My wife is the only person who ever drives my car and only on rare occassions. Once it's replaced with the ST she won't be able to drive it cause she can't drive stick :)

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
lol, this is true, even if they could I'm worse than a paranoid parent when it comes to anyone else driving my cars. My wife is the only person who ever drives my car and only on rare occassions. Once it's replaced with the ST she won't be able to drive it cause she can't drive stick :)
So THATs why you're getting a car with manual only:p

·
Registered
685 Posts
Wouldn't work with my wife. She had a dealer get her PT Cruiser from 100 miles away because it was stick. She's the only one I know who hates auto transmissions more than I do.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Wouldn't work with my wife. She had a dealer get her PT Cruiser from 100 miles away because it was stick. She's the only one I know who hates auto transmissions more than I do.
You and me both, buddy. I bought a DSG A3 a few years back, and I never heard the end of it. My wife learned stick at 13, and took me to my first autoX when she was 19 or 20. She's the reason I was involved in motorsports at all. Did I mention that she's a badass?

Took me a couple years to even get close to being able to compete with her at track/autoX events.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You and me both, buddy. I bought a DSG A3 a few years back, and I never heard the end of it. My wife learned stick at 13, and took me to my first autoX when she was 19 or 20. She's the reason I was involved in motorsports at all. Did I mention that she's a badass?

Took me a couple years to even get close to being able to compete with her at track/autoX events.
Now that's a cool as wife!! Well played sir..;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts