Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

If these have been answered elsewhere, I apologize.

1. What is the point of the trunk button on the remote? It releases the trunk mechanism but you still have to physically open the trunk, so is it really any different than unlocking the car?

2. What is the white funnel for, found under the floor of the hatch in the back right? If it's in the manual, I missed it.

3. What can we do with all of the wasted space under the hatch floor? All sorts of cubbies and areas to put stuff, but they're not conveniently accessible. Feels like a waste to not take advantage of them though.

(sorry for the terrible cell-phone pics)

·
Registered
40 Posts
the The only one I can answer is the funnel ... all the new cars with the cap less fuel filler come with a funnel to use if you run out of gas and have to use a can... if the spout of the can has a lip on it, you stand a chance of damaging the fuel neck when you remove it... hence the funnel.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
the The only one I can answer is the funnel ... all the new cars with the cap less fuel filler come with a funnel to use if you run out of gas and have to use a can... if the spout of the can has a lip on it, you stand a chance of damaging the fuel neck when you remove it... hence the funnel.
Yep. It is difficult (if not impossible) to fill capless fuel tanks without spilling all over if you don't have the proper mechanism to open the flap.

I am surprised at the amount of space and cubbyholes around that tire. Not sure what I will put there, but I'm sure I'll think of something. :!:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha! Brilliant, thanks Brian!

·
Registered
25 Posts
3. What can we do with all of the wasted space under the hatch floor? All sorts of cubbies and areas to put stuff, but they're not conveniently accessible. Feels like a waste to not take advantage of them though.
I was thinking about building a different floor support piece to get back some of the trunk space. I'm debating getting rid of the spare tire all together, or just getting a mini spare and build a riser that will cover that but still add a little cargo area.
(I know the mini won't fit the front brakes, so worst case I end up swapping a rear tire to front and put the mini spare on the back.)
Anyway,
I don't have my car yet, but those who do, can the amp that's back there be moved easily or is it bolted down?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks like a blanket and an MRE would fit nicely on the left side...and small weapons could be tucked in some of the other spaces.

We used the under-floor storage on her Rav quite a bit...mostly for her collection of frisbee golf disks (you never know when the urge to pull over and FROLF on the side of the road will strike).

·
Registered
176 Posts
1> My Saab hatch is the same way, I think it's for safety. A regular trunk lid can hurt a little if you are standing over it when someone hits the button. A hatch with a window has a lot of mass and would probably knock someone out if it hit them. Also, the hatch shocks would have to be a lot stronger and make it harder to close.

·
Registered
65 Posts
... What can we do with all of the wasted space under the hatch floor? All sorts of cubbies and areas to put stuff, but they're not conveniently accessible...
They are not convenient, so put things that you will seldom use, but must have.
1) Can of fix-a-flat
2) Jumper cables
3) Dead alien

·
Registered
375 Posts
That's where my jumper cables are

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk
ok I dont wanna sound like THAT guy, but just so everyone knows. Your not supposed to jump this car (or jump a car from this car). It will screw up the MFT and maybe the electronics. Newer cars have this weird thing about being jumped, not sure exactly how your supposed to get out of a dead battery situation then. But I know in the manual (or one of the many papers that come with the car) it mentions not too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ok I dont wanna sound like THAT guy, but just so everyone knows. Your not supposed to jump this car (or jump a car from this car). It will screw up the MFT and maybe the electronics. Newer cars have this weird thing about being jumped, not sure exactly how your supposed to get out of a dead battery situation then. But I know in the manual (or one of the many papers that come with the car) it mentions not too.
Really? That seems awfully dumb to me... as you said, what do you do in a dead battery situation? Wonder if you could pull a fuse for the MFT first before attempting a jump? I know a lot of people don't care for the MFT system anyway, maybe jumping your car is a way to get back on the road and disable MFT at the same time lol ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you're not supposed to jump start the vehicle, why are there 3 pages (pages 225 - 227) in the manual that explain how to safely jump start the vehicle?

The Focus (non-ST supplement) manual does state: Note: Do not disconnect the battery of the disabled vehicle as this could
damage the vehicle’s electrical system.
however.

The above does beg the question - how are you supposed to replace a battery when you need to in a few years. lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just went through the manual and supplement and didn't see anything to this effect...

·
Registered
361 Posts
Don't disconnect the battery when the car is running. You need the battery (even a dead one) to filter transients and noise from the alternator, as well as serve as a load for the current coming out of that alternator. Some people suggest turning on some other load (e.g., headlights, climate fan, defroster) for a jump start as well.

You jump start a car with the dead battery still connected to the rest of the system. Don't disconnect it to start the car and then try to reconnect it with the car running.

You swap the battery for a new one with the car off. It's safe to disconnect the battery when nothing is operating.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Will a push start work if there's no power to the ECU?

I've only tried or helped push starting a few times, but wasn't ever actually successful. Jumping is easy. And doesn't require a lot of room -- or leave you stuck at the bottom of the hill when you fail the first time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts