Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Everyone seems to be coming up with lots of good reasons to buy an ST1. Presumably the 1's electronics are less susceptible to jump starting, and less expensive to replace if something gets zapped.

The more I read about MFT, the more I want a car to be just a car -- not a web server, not geography teacher, not a place to get a suntan or a haircut. Too much frail technology in cars these days to pamper and worry over. I want to be able to have a life outside of my car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've been driving over 30 years, had two flats and many dead batteries, sometimes accompanied by dead alternators or broken belts. Eighteen years is a long time for one person's luck to hold out.

So I ask myself: How much do I really need those Recaros? Are they worth the MFT headaches? What about after-market race seats in an ST1 and skip the troublesome gadgets?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Presumably the 1's electronics are less susceptible to jump starting
On what evidence do you base the presumption?

People have expressed an unfounded concern that electronics are susceptible to jump starting. While that's not impossible to imagine, the power supplies for automotive electronics are designed for those conditions. And the electronics in Sync aren't going to be any more rugged than the ones in MFT. They'll both be 3.3v industrial-grade ICs, or whatever Ford specs. The power supply filtering is going to be the same. And the big freaky surge that kills one will kill the other. Electricity isn't smart enough to know Sync from MFT and selectively kill one over the other because it read a bunch of Internet posts about how bad MFT is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, maybe the 1's electronics are not less susceptible. It's certainly less of a financial loss to replace Sync versus Sync + MFT + Nav, or to ditch all of it for aftermarket toys. I zapped an aftermarket audio head a couple years ago changing a battery on my Prizm. $400 to replace the head was a lot less painful than replacing Ford Sync + MFT + Nav would be.

FlySaab, your .pdf link didn't work for me but I'll take your word jump-starting is pretty normal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's certainly less of a financial loss to replace Sync versus Sync + MFT + Nav,
Yes. This would argue to the Ford accountants considering the warranty terms that MFT should be better protected than Sync. You can spend more money protecting the more expensive target against the same threat.

ditch all of it for aftermarket toys.
If you're planning to replace the stuff anyway, then certainly, it'd be crazy to pay for the factory upgrades.

My cars have always been sufficiently poor audio environments to start with that I never saw the point in putting in really high-end equipment. Road noise, wind noise, bizarre acoustics; it's only going to get so good, not like a listening room in your house. But factory audio can sometimes be really bad, especially on the low end.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you're not supposed to jump start the vehicle, why are there 3 pages (pages 225 - 227) in the manual that explain how to safely jump start the vehicle?

The Focus (non-ST supplement) manual does state: Note: Do not disconnect the battery of the disabled vehicle as this could
damage the vehicle’s electrical system.
however.

The above does beg the question - how are you supposed to replace a battery when you need to in a few years. lol
They are saying not to jump the car with the battery disconnected.

·
Registered
122 Posts
But factory audio can sometimes be really bad, especially on the low end.
We're looking at you, Mazda! Atrocious audio, not merely bad audio. Think 1973 Dodge Swinger AM radio!

ST2's 10 speaker Sony audio is perfectly adequate for my needs. The sub is a little wimpy but I don't mind that too much. I'm mostly concerned about the replacement cost if something stops working since I don't like buying dealer's aftermarket tech insurance. On the other hand, factory audio is supposedly less likely to attract burglars. I'll never forget my 1980's Buick Skyhawk that got broken into. They looked at the stereo then took my old scratched sunglasses instead. Aah, the joys' of factory audio!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I must be lucky because I've been driving for 18 years and I've never had a flat or a dead battery...
I too, must be pretty lucky. Been driving over 30 years and have never broke down on side of the road. Never had a flat...I mean..never, knock on wood, and I've only had one dead battery with the car in my garage and one burnt fuel pump in parking lot at work. So I consider that pretty lucky over the last 34 years.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts