Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

My name is Gary; and obviously I've just joined the Forum. I live in Atlanta and I am the original owner of a 2002 SVT Focus (silver w/ red interior, vehicle # 2076 of a build of 4788 assembled on 5/14/02 - note: it's a low mileage car as I've just turned the odometer over to 59,000 this weekend).

I've thoroughly enjoyed the SVT Focus over the last 10 years, but have been seriously considering selling the SVT and getting into the new ST. Clearly the ST is the spiritual successor to the SVT; and all the preliminary data/articles/"ride-a-longs" indicate the ST to be a special vehicle. One thing that really excites those of us who have owned an SVT is the ST's 250 lb.-ft. of torque verses the SVT's 145 lb.-ft. - thus the days of 3000 rpm launches may be behind us!!!

I attended the Atlanta Auto Show a couple of weeks ago with the expressed purpose of viewing the ST. Unfortunately the car was on a turntable with no public access. Additionally the Ford reps had no information regarding availability or pricing (no surprise there).

I look forward to having the Forum provide the latest information regarding the ST, and likewise look forward to reading various comments from members as we move closer (hopefully) to the official launch of the Focus ST.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Hello there.

Although I have never owned a focus, I can imagine how fun the are to drive. One of the first cars that I ever looked at seriously buying was a Focus. Because of its great MPG in the early 2000's. But I had a Pontiac Grand Am...ect...

I own a Fiesta now, and love it. I wish I had a more powerful motor in the Fiesta because that would be a dream for me. But I will take what I can get. I plan on purchasing a Focus ST next year. I have 16 payments left on my current Fiesta. I've been making double payments since December. So I should be able to save $5000 as a down payment for a new car.

Anyways a lot of members will own the car before I do. :) I may be able to wait for the 2014 Build since I do not want to buy out of my lease sooner. Or get a '13 at a reduced price, but I doubt the car will be in that great of supply to do that.

Well thanks for joining.

Chacd

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the greeting, Chad.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have every expectation that the new ST is in fact the spiritual successor to the SVT. When Ford introduced the Focus SVT in 2002, it was a novelty idea for Ford's US operations. Taking their econo-box car and turning it into one of the best handling vehicles at the time was a significant departure for Ford. For years they had been producing small performance cars in Europe, but not in the United States. That task was left to VW and the GTI.

So when the SVT Group announced they were working on a Focus (previously their involvement was with Mustangs, pick-up trucks, and a very limited Contour run), it was exciting news. The Focus SVT did not disappoint. It's trademark was its absolute go kart-like handling. I never mod'ed my SVT so it is completely stock. If there was a shortcoming with the car, it really has to do with its power. Even though Cosworth worked on the motor (actually getting Ford's anemic 2 liter Zetec engine up to 170 hp - without forced induction), it clearly could have easily withstood an additional 50 hp.

Thus my interest in the ST. If they get the handing to mimic that of the SVT (as an aside, Car & Driver had the 2002 SVT out-braking a Porsche Boxster from 80 mph), 247 hp should correct the SVT's deficiencies. Like you, I can't wait to see the final product. It appears as though they are clearly following in the "old SVT's operations" footsteps. Reading about the final product developments that are taking place at Ford's European performance headquarters further adds to this commitment to performance.

I'm searching for new information on an almost daily basis; looking forward to when the car officially goes on sale. My only concern is that Ford prices the vehicle competitively. I believe that mid 20's (high 20's for an optioned car) is the sweet spot for Ford. if the car breaks 30, I personally believe that Ford is making a mistake. We'' have to wait and see.

Reactions: Johnny ST

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jdub - are you the original owner of your SVT; or did you pick it up second hand? If second hand, how long have you owned it?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Jdub - are you the original owner of your SVT; or did you pick it up second hand? If second hand, how long have you owned it?
No, second owner and I've had it for almost 5 years now. It's a fun car and I wish I could squeeze a few more ponies out of it but I'm sure that you already know there really isn't any bolt-ons that add much power.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm with you Java; now if we can only get Ford moving forward with a production version!!!! :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts