1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just leased a '14 Silver ST.

Ah that new car smell.

A few impressions after 6 wks:

1st: The car has already spent half a month at the dealership for service. First it was the rattles in the gauge cluster and shifter, when hitting 1st/3rd,5th (the reverse lever rattles against the main shaft.

Then it was a check engine light (crimped wiring harness coming off the turbo?)

Then it was a "microscopic" coolant leak, causing the car to overheat (temp. needle pointing true north)

2nd: The power is exhilarating.. until it hits the last 3rd of the band. Then it plateaus. I suppose this is normal, especially for a turbo 4?

3rd: Holy lift off oversteer, Batman! I've come close to losing this car more than once just on spirited drives through canyons. Seriously, I've driven a few cars and this one inspires the least confidence. Everything's fine until you let off completely in a high speed turn. Is this expected behavior?! It's like the thing tripods on command, lifting the inside rear tire like a 64 Impala.

4th: LOL @ "torque vectoring." Jesus Christ. This thing needs an lsd like Ralph Stedman needed LSD.

Other than THAT, it's great, lol.

Any thoughts? Can anyone else empathize or am I just doing it wrong?

SJ

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome Essjay. Sounds like ST is just too much car to handle for you.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Hi SJ and welcome to the ST Nation! Handling the ST can be tricky at first, but you will get used to it and get more comfortable. I have a mechanical LSD installed in my ST and it does handle better now. I find TVC and the LSD work well together. If you would like more info, click "Belle" in my signature for my build page including install pictures and impressions. BTW, it is generally not a good idea to completely let off the accelerator in mid turn in any car. This is particularly true with the ST because TVC brakes the inside rear wheel to help rotate the rear end and prevent understeer.

Reactions: EssJay

·
Registered
700 Posts
Sounds like you need to work on throttle control. Some of us track the ST and have no issues with the rotation of the car.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Car handles great ...just give a little throttle in the turn and lift oversteer becomes almost impossible to induce. I will admit the torque correction needs more work as the car gets a little skittish at high rpms ...but this is part of what makes the FoST such a fun car ...you have to drive it cuz even with all the tech it still requires a ton of driver input and finesse.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome SJ.

Just curious, what did they say caused the rattles near the instrument cluster? Mine does that time to time. I almost think it is temperature driven? Did they fix it? I tested applying slight pressure forward on the dash and cluster bezels when it occurs, and it stops the sounds....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They fixed it but didn't go into the process. One of the mechanics mentioned putting in a "shim" or spacer when we test drove it before the work was done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to the Nation!

The ST is one of the best handling FWD cars ever made. It was designed to over-steer off throttle. This was unheard of in a FWD street car before the ST came out. You just can't use the throttle to steer most FWD cars. I should mention that this is pretty fun.

Consider booking some track time so you can play with it in relative safety. You might be surprised what you and the ST are capable of.

Best of luck with the new car.

Oh BTW, put the car in sport mode. The traction control messes me up when I'm giving it the beans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts