Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess I never did introduce myself properly here, so here goes. My name is Wyatt, I'm married, have a couple awesome kiddos (4 and 7), and am a composer/researcher/educator/artist. I'm currently unemployed officially, but am in dissertation for my doctorate in music composition, and I spend a lot of my time doing the stay-at-home-dad/housekeeper thing.

I'm also a bit of gearhead and do some autocross, track days, and rallycross stuff. You can my cars in my sig, but I started a thread about my other Fords here: http://fordstnation.com/your-other-ride/633-my-other-fords-70-mach-1-89-xr4rs.html.

My interest and involvement with the Focus ST has been a long time running, even since before I could drive really, because I've always had a thing for performance Fords, especially from Europe. The first generation Ford Sierra RS Cosworths (and Sierra RS500) were still pretty new car when I was reaching driving age and I wanted one bad. Instead I ended up with my Mustang, which I still own 24 years later. I did finally get my "Cosworth" when I bought an '89 XR4TI and started modifying it with a combination of Cosworth bits and aftermarket stuff, and I now call it an "XR4RS" appropriately.

I was also one of the lucky few fans that Ford invited to Key West as guests for the commercial shoot, and my fat head appears in the commercial actually (00:29 of the one minute version of the commercial). Subsequently I was asked to write an article about my experience at the shoot for Ford Social, which you can read here: Ford Social: Inside the Filming of the Focus ST Commercial . It's been a damn good time being involved in all of it.

And if it matters, yes, I've ordered an Oxford White ST3 (with no add-ons).

Cheers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome. It's cool that you were invited to Key West for that, especially given your apparent love for Fords. I do have to question your color choice on the ST though! haha

Good luck with the doctorate, hopefully that leads to the career you want and will make you happy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol... music is a passion and an art, making it a terrible thing to pursue as a "career". And at this level, the air is so rarified that it can't support that many folks residing here, so competition for the jobs and positions for what I do are rare and highly competitive. A lot of people end up floating around from place to place, from job to job, sometimes all over the planet, until the find a permanent position and start a career properly. I prefer to look at it as hoping it leads me to a way of life that makes me happy, and in that sense I'm both optimistic and satisfied.

BTW, my choice of white for the ST was well considered... I chose it very carefully. As much as I like the ST in black, living in Florida, dark colored (black and blue) cars aren't good choices unless you like stepping into an oven every time you get in your car (even if it is tinted). Red is one of the colors that the sun effects most quickly, and besides, I'm not a big fan of red cars generally (though Race Red on the ST could change my mind). I find the silver on the ST a bit dull for my tastes, not that it's unattractive. So that leaves Tangerine Scream and Oxford White. I love TS and wouldn't complain if there was a mistake and my ST showed up that color, but it's a cost premium. But the white... it's got lots going for it... cooler in the sun, easier to keep clean (sorta), I like the high contrast between the white and the black trim/accents (which kinda matches my XR's color scheme), and it adapts well to different stylistic looks (i.e. euro, VIP, tuner, etc.). Plus white sorta says "race car" to me, as in "body in white". Just add stickers, striping, or even just a number panel, and instant race car. And if I get serious with the car later (much much later), the chassis and engine bay will already be white. And finally, I really got it so I can do this with it when I get it:

Make sense now?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I suppose so. Car color shouldn't impact the interior temperature of the car too much - the black interior is going to do that (assuming I get a ST, this would be my first car with a black interior). If that picture is your ultimate goal for what the car will look like down the road, then I definitely understand the white. I suppose my color preferences are more to have the car stand out, and typically that means avoiding white, black, and silver (some shades of grey are great though)... so it's more a personal bias than anything. Well that and black is impossible to keep clean (although white shows its fair share of dirt as well).

I know how tough the music field can be, I have friends with graduate degrees in the field (one is even Ivy League), and approximately none of them have a full time job or career utilizing their degrees. Sounds like you have the right mindset about things though, which is good to see.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience, paint color does make a difference here in Florida. My wife's black minivan with a tan interior gets much hotter much quicker than my grandma gold Impala with a tan interior, and the minivan is tinted while the Impala is not. But that kinda makes sense, doesn't it? Black as a color is the presence of all colors and reflects less of the sun's light energy (which is why it appears black), while white is the absence of color and therefor reflects more of the sun's energy (which is why it appears white). It's all the non-reflected light energy that is converted to heat when it is absorbed by the car, which is why dark colors get hotter quicker.

BTW, this logic applies to other colors as well... the reason a car appears red is because it in fact reflects the light spectrum that is red, which means the actual color on the car has all the pigments except the ones that create that particular shade of red. That's an exaggeration to a degree (since other shades are also reflected to a much lesser degree than the red), but is essentially correct.

Make sense?

·
Registered
373 Posts
As an engineer, believe me, I understand how colors work with light and heat. If white paint keeps the car cooler in Florida, then it makes sense to go that route for sure.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I got it bad too. Before the ST was announced I was a huge fan of the Volvo C30. Followed that car from the time it was a rumor to production. Being enthusiastic about the C30 led to me chatting with the designer, traveling to Chicago, Detroit, and New York to attend the press days of those auto shows.

I was a major contributor on a couple Volvo specific websites and still moderate on one of those sites.

I've always been a fan of Volvos but even more so of Ford. When Ford owned Volvo, it was a fanboy dream come true.

I never bought a C30 as the timing was off in my car buying cycle and I had negative experience with the C30 community that left ( as silly as it sounds) any potential ownership tainted for me.

Hearing that Ford would FINNALLY bring the ST to our shores was All I needed to hear. being more of a Blue Oval kind of guy, and knowing tha the ST would be more of a drivers car than the C30 made the choice obvious.

I have been an active member over at Focaljet under the screen name Bluebyutoo since 2001 when I bought my 2001 ZX3 S2

Reactions: DarkBuddha

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JMHO, but... Shomare/Bluebyutoo, you should think about putting your other screen names in your sig if they're gonna be different, so we can more readily identify each other on the different forums. I'm trying to unite all of my stuff under my DarkBuddha name for this reason. Even started a new account on FJ for this exact reason.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
People tend to figure these things out. Lots of folks that are members on FJ are members of ST Nation too. I put it out there for any of the new to the Focus community members that might be curious. I enjoy a little anonymity and choose to share what I want to with who I want to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
lol... music is a passion and an art, making it a terrible thing to pursue as a "career". And at this level, the air is so rarified that it can't support that many folks residing here, so competition for the jobs and positions for what I do are rare and highly competitive. A lot of people end up floating around from place to place, from job to job, sometimes all over the planet, until the find a permanent position and start a career properly. I prefer to look at it as hoping it leads me to a way of life that makes me happy, and in that sense I'm both optimistic and satisfied.

BTW, my choice of white for the ST was well considered... I chose it very carefully. As much as I like the ST in black, living in Florida, dark colored (black and blue) cars aren't good choices unless you like stepping into an oven every time you get in your car (even if it is tinted). Red is one of the colors that the sun effects most quickly, and besides, I'm not a big fan of red cars generally (though Race Red on the ST could change my mind). I find the silver on the ST a bit dull for my tastes, not that it's unattractive. So that leaves Tangerine Scream and Oxford White. I love TS and wouldn't complain if there was a mistake and my ST showed up that color, but it's a cost premium. But the white... it's got lots going for it... cooler in the sun, easier to keep clean (sorta), I like the high contrast between the white and the black trim/accents (which kinda matches my XR's color scheme), and it adapts well to different stylistic looks (i.e. euro, VIP, tuner, etc.). Plus white sorta says "race car" to me, as in "body in white". Just add stickers, striping, or even just a number panel, and instant race car. And if I get serious with the car later (much much later), the chassis and engine bay will already be white. And finally, I really got it so I can do this with it when I get it:

Make sense now?
LOVE that color/stripe scheme!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts