Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this belongs in the Exterior section--feel free to move Mods. Is anyone else noticing a flicker in the stock HIDs (ST3) when hitting bumps, holes, sewer covers, etc? I don't think mind are auto-leveling--I really think they are flickering. It happens even on very slight bumps and such. Smooth pavement is rare out here and this possible flickering is starting to bug me. I couldn't find anything by searching here or on the web other than issues with aftermarket kits.

·
Registered
189 Posts
That was the first thing I noticed! To me it seems like its the bulb shaking from impacts??? It bugged the piss outta me then and still does!! Wonder if other ford HIDs do samething.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sorry if this belongs in the Exterior section--feel free to move Mods. Is anyone else noticing a flicker in the stock HIDs (ST3) when hitting bumps, holes, sewer covers, etc? I don't think mind are auto-leveling--I really think they are flickering. It happens even on very slight bumps and such. Smooth pavement is rare out here and this possible flickering is starting to bug me. I couldn't find anything by searching here or on the web other than issues with aftermarket kits.
Jason, I haven't noticed it with mine so far (and I know ours were built pretty close together) and our roads are pretty bumpy too, although not as bad as Mass with all the frost heaves and such. Didn't you say early on you had to adjust something else with the beam. Mine are perfectly aligned. Takes getting used to the xenon light because everyone is always giving you the "flash - turn down the hi-beams" nod.

·
Registered
726 Posts
HIDs do behave differently because of the way they work (arc of electricity vs. glowing filament), but not necessarily the way you describe. They're the bulb of choice for off-road racing. I have an HID headlamp for mountain biking, and it doesn't flicker, and I have HID bulbs in my motorcycle, and they don't. Are they actually flickering or is it just the dip of the car's nose? The beam from an HID looks different, maybe you are just noticing a different response from normal bulbs, rather than actual diminishing of light?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good questions. JT, I had to raise my passenger HID's aim b/c it was pointed at the ground from the factory. I eyeballed it on my garage door from about 15 to 20 feet away or so. Not perfect, but I brought it up to just below the driver side to be safe. I'll have to get the dealer to check it out.

As for what I see as a flicker, maybe it is normal and not really a flicker. I haven't been able to tell based on reflections in the backs of other vehicles so far. No one has high beamed me at least. My previous car's HIDs did 'it' too, so again maybe it is not a flicker really. I'll need to take the wife's truck for a spin one night and have her follow me so I can get a different perspective or meet up with some ST3 guys in the area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My driver side HID light will SHAKE slightly over bumpy road. The passenger side does not seem to do it. It's a little strange because it will do it, then I notice it, then immediately over more bumps it doesn't do it. After a short time, it does it again and later, again. I'm sure it is not a flicker as described here. I think something is moving WITHIN the assembly (auto level or that mechanism for changing the beam low/high). I wish I knew for sure what the quality control problem was with these headlamps. Perhaps mods to the originals were not made properly. Also, I've noticed this behavior since day 1 (build date 10/15/12). I just haven't taken it to the dealer to check out. Also, the shake or movement of the light is small but apparent to me.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
THIS>>> Are they actually flickering or is it just the dip of the car's nose?
The beam is narrow from top to bottom.
There is a noticeable cut off just above your visual horizon.
What you are seeing is the nose of the car go up and down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The beam is narrow from top to bottom.
There is a noticeable cut off just above your visual horizon.
What you are seeing is the nose of the car go up and down.
Thanks for the explanation but I really think something else is going on here. I only notice this on the driver side and a prior post is noticing it on the passenger side. Other's seem to have noticed this as well. To me, it really seems like the light is shaking within its housing. I don't notice it when I go over every bump in the road. There is some randomness to it but it is constant and always only on the driver side. If they ever send my gopro maybe I can capture it. I don't know how well that camera would work in the dark though.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
With the sharp cut-off of the HID projector any movement of the car's suspension, even minor can appear amplified further down the road (i.e. small movement of the car's headlamp can cause the light to move much further in the vertical plane the further it gets from the car). For flickering issues it wouldn't surprise me if the internal cut-off shield could be loose too and might cause what you're describing, especially if it goes away when you have the high beam on the and the shield is raised.

Reactions: Chad and Stu675

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That's kind of odd. If the shield was bouncing around I wouldn't expect it to be more noticeable closer the car. Is the entire light output doing it or is it just getting darker or brighter when it flickers in part of the light output? If the whole light output is flickering then maybe a bad igniter/ballast or ground. Is it more noticeable on one side (one headlamp) than the other?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would not use the word 'flicker' to describe the problem I'm having. To me, flicker implies changing light intensity. How can I describe this? Imagine if the light assembly were loose and how the beam of light projected on the road would rapidly move/shake when you hit bumps in the road but NOT on EVERY bump. As you are driving, you see the movement so you watch for more on the next bump in the road but it doesn't do it. Then 2-3 bumps later you see the shake again. The shake is small but noticeable and on my car it ONLY does it on the driver side.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
My driver side HID light will SHAKE slightly over bumpy road. The passenger side does not seem to do it. It's a little strange because it will do it, then I notice it, then immediately over more bumps it doesn't do it. After a short time, it does it again and later, again. I'm sure it is not a flicker as described here. I think something is moving WITHIN the assembly (auto level or that mechanism for changing the beam low/high). I wish I knew for sure what the quality control problem was with these headlamps. Perhaps mods to the originals were not made properly. Also, I've noticed this behavior since day 1 (build date 10/15/12). I just haven't taken it to the dealer to check out. Also, the shake or movement of the light is small but apparent to me.

Maybe check the bulb holder. Or compare the two projectors...as far as how loose they feel.

That's kind of odd. If the shield was bouncing around I wouldn't expect it to be more noticeable closer the car. Is the entire light output doing it or is it just getting darker or brighter when it flickers in part of the light output? If the whole light output is flickering then maybe a bad igniter/ballast or ground. Is it more noticeable on one side (one headlamp) than the other?

No way the shield is loose..the entire projector would be loose if that was the case. The projector is bolted on with springs, so it's possible the entire projector is loose...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.