Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see any spec sheet for the car include any sort of hill assist feature in cars for the US. Has anyone seen any information posted that will clearly state one way or the other whether or not the US ST will have some sort of hill assist?

·
Registered
13 Posts
it's a standard equipment in focus, including ST
Are you sure? Because I was kind of wondering this myself, as I've yet to see it listed anywhere for the ST. I know it's standard for the Power Shift Auto-Manual transmission on the other Foci trims, but isn't on the 6 spd manual I do not believe.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure? Because I was kind of wondering this myself, as I've yet to see it listed anywhere for the ST. I know it's standard for the Power Shift Auto-Manual transmission on the other Foci trims, but isn't on the 6 spd manual I do not believe.
Same thing I've seen, which is why I asked.

If someone could post a link to some official site or document that states it, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
440 Posts
really? If you can't get your car moving forward off a hill without tapping the guy behind you dont have business driving a manual car.

hill assist? Park assist? sounds like extra weight and things to break.

·
Registered
148 Posts
really? If you can't get your car moving forward off a hill without tapping the guy behind you dont have business driving a manual car.

hill assist? Park assist? sounds like extra weight and things to break.
You know, I really "scoffed" at hill assist also - I've been driving manuals for years. But recently I was in Seattle; and had the chance to spend some seat time in my nephew's 2010 335 six-speed. How it works on BMW, as soon as you take your foot off the brake pedal and start to engage the clutch, it holds the car on a hill (or any surface I imagine) for 2 seconds. The first time the feature engaged, it felt kind of weird. But after spending some time with it on the hills of Seattle, I came to enjoy it. It was completely non-obtrusive, and on a really steep hill it mitigated the need for a 3000 RPM launch (remember, my manual is a 2002 SVT Focus with absolutely no torque :rolleyes:).

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Eh, I'm not against it. There are some awesomely steep hills in my area and while I'm proficient in the use of a manual on a hill, the a holes that don't realize some of us still drive manuals crawl up your bum and leave little room for error.

Plus, my wife will drive the car from time to time and she isn't as confident on hills. She put a dent in our rear bumper three days after buying our last manual because of the above scenario. Subaru has been offering this tech for years.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, it's something that'd be really nice to have, especially considering all of the ahole drivers out there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With that said... I hope it's in the ST. I couldn't find it listed anywhere on Ford's site. Sigh.

·
Registered
440 Posts
engage the parking brake a click or 2. problem solved if they decide to leave it out of the :ST:

Bill make sure you teach your Wife this trick :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
engage the parking brake a click or 2. problem solved if they decide to leave it out of the :ST:

It is a great trick when someone is riding your rear-end. Unless you happen to own a Boss 302 or the new GT500 which have launch control :D. Either one works.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm just glad to be getting back into a car with a center-mounted e-brake, as that's all you really need. Hill assist would be a cool addition though. Both my SHO and F-250 have pedal e-brakes, so getting started on really steep hills can be a royal pain.

I was driving my truck on some of the steeper hills in Seattle near Pike Place Market last Fall and had a car crawl within inches of my bumper. I don't know how I got going without bumping into them, but thankfully the truck has a short 1st gear and lots of torque! The friends of mine that were riding with me were quite impressed that I was able to launch it without rolling back at all. :)

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts

Yeah, I use this trick from time to time, but it requires a bit of coordination and planning to do it.

Car in gear, slip the clutch release the brake. Nothing once you have done it but telling someone who is nervous about hills about it, best to do it for the first time when not in traffic and not on a big hill!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've heard bad things about some hill-assist features.

Not incredibly bad things, mostly just that they are annoying. :p
Specifically on the WRX.
Read my earlier post concerning the 3 series hill hold.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had it on my wrx and I hated it. It would activate even when not on a hill sometimes. Also, when on a slight incline it would hold the brake and almost make me stall out. As long as there is a way to disable it I'm good though

Tapatalked

1 - 20 of 66 Posts