Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had a friend in Chicago Region SCCA back in the late 70's / early 80's who once owned around 20 of these (not all were running, or in one piece though). He even still had his green/orange one he had raced at Sebring back in the 60's. Heard some years ago, he sold everything to a Canadian collector for a huge profit. He had always talked about how amazing those cars were, and way ahead of their time.

I actually owned a 1967 Ford Cortina GT at one time. Was sort of a boxy style, like a larger Datsun 510. A buddy of mine who raced in Formula Ford back then, rebuilt the motor for me to FF specs, so it was a sleeper that screamed. What a sweet car it was too! A 4 door passenger car, yet had a nice suspension, full dash gauge pack, and a 4 speed trans so smooth, you could shift with just your pinkie finger.

In the early 90's, I found a 1989 Isuzu I Mark RS 4 door sedan - Handling by Lotus badged. Wish I could find the old newspaper article online that I once had a hardcopy of. They called it the modern Lotus Cortina, and it darn near was. Had the same 1.6L DOHC engine as the then current FWD Lotus Elan. And that tiny 1.6L had more hp than the current 1.8L in the current hot VW's (including their rare DOHC version), yet was also at least 800lbs lighter. Even came with Recaro seats (optional). Wish I still had it. Even got over 30mpg too, back then.

http://www.examiner.com/article/retro-car-review-1989-isuzu-i-mark-rs-a-wonderful-one-year-wonder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts