Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Thought about setting up a bank of passive high pass crossovers (300 uF non-polarized capacitors) wired in-line with the amp's positive speaker outputs. While not a perfect solution, it should help reduce the muddiness significantly by rolling off those pesky 100Hz and below frequencies that the speaker cannot play very well anyway.

Another odd thing is the sub seems to be playing frequencies well above 160Hz...maybe an in line 4mH inductor might help cut this down.

Would like to get an input and output connector to the Amp module to experiment a bit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
just remember caps in parallel you add the values. caps in series will act like parallel resistors when calculating the values. your idea wont work unless you do some hard math with total reactance. your best bet is you can make RC and RL circuits and make a real crossover.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
just remember caps in parallel you add the values. caps in series will act like parallel resistors when calculating the values. your idea wont work unless you do some hard math with total reactance. your best bet is you can make RC and RL circuits and make a real crossover.
Ah, good point, but I doubt all the speaker outputs on the Sony amp are tied internally to the same point. Don't most power amplifier ICs independently drive each channel?

Also, most non component speakers I've seen employ the use of a passive high pass and low pass crossover network already -- an inductor to block high frequencies from the woofer and a capacitor to block the low frequencies from the tweeter. Wouldn't these components affect the other speakers if this wasn't the case?

Might just do a bit of testing when I get some time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ah, good point, but I doubt all the speaker outputs on the Sony amp are tied internally to the same point. Don't most power amplifier ICs independently drive each channel?

Also, most non component speakers I've seen employ the use of a passive high pass and low pass crossover network already -- an inductor to block high frequencies from the woofer and a capacitor to block the low frequencies from the tweeter. Wouldn't these components affect the other speakers if this wasn't the case?

Might just do a bit of testing when I get some time.
just do RC and LC circuits and it will work better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Can anyone speak to whether the improvements seen in audio quality are found in mp3-type audio and SiriusXM, or are you guys just listening to audiophile lossless-type stuff?

I'm very interested in a "stage 1", speaker only upgrade if it'll help with this kind of audio playback. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did a speaker-only upgrade in my ST3, using the same speakers skizzo81 recommended, and using his excellent videos (thanks again skizzo81, that was a huge help). The audio quality is very much improved across the board, altho the old maxim of 'garbage in-garbage out' still holds true. CD sound is excellent now, MP3 quality is ok (good enough), but I find Sirius audio quality just AWFUL. Seriously, does Sirius run all their broadcasting thru a flanger or phaser before sending it out? I've never heard treble sound so 'swishy'. Even tho I like their programming, the sound gets pretty annoying, and I won't be renewing the service once the freeo runs out next week.

But in answer to your question, yes do the speaker swap. However, if you're going thru the trouble of doing it (it's not a quick and easy job, really), put in better speakers than the Infinity Primus. Yes, those are good, but there are better, esp better tweeters. If you choose other speakers, make sure the tweeters fit first before buying! The real good thing about the Infinity speakers is they are very efficient, so the stock amp is powerful enough to drive them. I'm an audiophile-type guy, and the stock speakers were unacceptable. The Infinity speakers are what I call 'good enough,' but not great. Hope that all helps!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I did a speaker-only upgrade in my ST3, using the same speakers skizzo81 recommended, and using his excellent videos (thanks again skizzo81, that was a huge help). The audio quality is very much improved across the board, altho the old maxim of 'garbage in-garbage out' still holds true. CD sound is excellent now, MP3 quality is ok (good enough), but I find Sirius audio quality just AWFUL. Seriously, does Sirius run all their broadcasting thru a flanger or phaser before sending it out? I've never heard treble sound so 'swishy'. Even tho I like their programming, the sound gets pretty annoying, and I won't be renewing the service once the freeo runs out next week.

But in answer to your question, yes do the speaker swap. However, if you're going thru the trouble of doing it (it's not a quick and easy job, really), put in better speakers than the Infinity Primus. Yes, those are good, but there are better, esp better tweeters. If you choose other speakers, make sure the tweeters fit first before buying! The real good thing about the Infinity speakers is they are very efficient, so the stock amp is powerful enough to drive them. I'm an audiophile-type guy, and the stock speakers were unacceptable. The Infinity speakers are what I call 'good enough,' but not great. Hope that all helps!
^^^ everything he said

·
Registered
252 Posts

Thank you gentlemen (you too, Jason). Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
47 Posts
AS of now I have done videos on the removal of the front and the rear door panels (diff videos).

Also I am doing another install for a different ST owner. Same set up as me except for He is going to be running the alpine 5ch amp. I will be making a step by step install_guide.pdf.
Did you ever install the Alpine 5-channel, I have a MRX-V70 just sitting in a box, I was thinking....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Will do thanks again. Oh. Will I need any extra speaker wire for this install?
yes a little bit. if you have an amp in the rear you will just run the front woofer signal into the crossover... then you will put the other end of the woofer wire on the output. Then you cut the tweeter wire from the amp. cap the amp side with a crimp cap. then plug the tweeter into the crossover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes a little bit. if you have an amp in the rear you will just run the front woofer signal into the crossover... then you will put the other end of the woofer wire on the output. Then you cut the tweeter wire from the amp. cap the amp side with a crimp cap. then plug the tweeter into the crossover.
I thought the rear doors needed to be wired like this but not the fronts like in the video the crossovers for the front are placed by the amp and the factory speakers are then just swapped out for the new ones.

·
Registered
46 Posts

FOLLOWUP

So I've had my ST3 for 4 years, and love it. BUT the stock Sony "premium" stereo sucks. I first did the speaker upgrade as recommended by skizzo81 a while back, and that was a big improvement. But it didn't solve the harsh, nasty digital shrillness that is in the stock amp and head unit. Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that you cannot replace those components, so the best you can do is work around them. I'm not interested in blowing my ears out or rattling the neighborhood with 150db of sound, just interested in clean, reasonably loud, accurate sound. Game on.

So I bit the bullet finally and installed a JL Audio Stealthbox sub (OMG, VAST IMPROVEMENT), an Audio Control LCQ-1 line out converter/equalizer, a very compact Carion XC2510 5 channel amp, and a NVX XAPK4 4ga amp wiring kit. All this equipment fit neatly under the trunk floor panel with minimal cutting of the hard foam flooring. The sub, of course, requires some modification to the luggage area, but it's not too invasive.

After much time and close to $1500 invested in purchasing, installing and adjusting the various components and adjusting the control interfaces (there are many), my conclusions are these:

The stock sub is a joke, you're better off without one. The JL Stealthbox is awesome, I'm very impressed.

The Carion XC2510 is a kickass little amp, and more than handles what I was looking for in an amp. And it's so small you can put it pretty much anywhere.

The Audio Control LCQ-1 is quiet as a LOC, but pretty useless as an EQ. There is barely any adjustment in any of the eq controls, and the harsh shrillness that I was trying to eliminate was still present no matter what I did. I was a bit disappointed in this unit, but it's still in my car as a LOC.

After way too much time spent trying to remove the harsh 'digital' sound that was still prevalent in the system, I decided I needed a better equalizer. I kept everything I'd already installed, and then found the Precision Power PPI E.7. It's installed in the signal chain between the Audio Control LCQ-1 and the Carion XC2510. It is exactly what I needed.

Lots of eqs might get the job done, but this Precision Power PPI E.7 has 7 eq settings WITH sweep settings for each frequency range, which translates into this: you can absolutely pinpoint the frequencies that need adjusting in your car! My digital harshness is gone. The shrillness is gone. What I do have is absolutely great sound, bass that kicks without being muddy, highs that tinkle as they should, and mids that are full and rich without getting in the way of the other frequencies.

I'm finally there, and done with messing with the stereo.

One word to anyone looking to do a stereo upgrade: be prepared to spend a LOT of time on this project. Every step of it is labor intensive, and adjusting for premium sound takes a long time. Just sayin...

21 - 37 of 37 Posts