Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
two words.

Cooled seats. This is our pyrometer on the leather on my Miata. 4pm today.

Miata Temp.jpg

And why I feel like heated seats are a joke down here. :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Move up here to Michigan and you'll worship them!
I bet I would! But that's the problem. The first mainline manufacturer to pay attention to warm climates with options like cooled seats will see an up in option percentage sales. I promise. I would've definitely sprung for them had they been offered. It is insufferable here in the summer, no matter how good your A/C is. You will likely have a sweat stained shirt when you get home from work in nearly any car with leather and without shaded parking at work.

·
Registered
166 Posts
194 is freaking hot! I wonder if they could at least develop some sort of passive heat-exchanger system when a car is parked between the interior and the air around and under the car. I would hope you could at least cut that 100-degree temp difference in half!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Limited Explorer has AC cooled seats.

On the go via Tapatalk

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Elantra is heated and cooled front. Heated rear.

- Drew
I knew that some of the upper end makes, including Caddy and MB had cooled seats, but didn't realize Hyundai was doing it. Very good news. Take note, Ford!! Time to bring it down to the masses!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
194 is freaking hot! I wonder if they could at least develop some sort of passive heat-exchanger system when a car is parked between the interior and the air around and under the car. I would hope you could at least cut that 100-degree temp difference in half!
Now THAT would be cool. Ha ha.

What was telling was that the coolant piping in the car we used the pyrometer on to begin with today for an initial diagnosis was only 188F. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't know why cooled seats are being so slowly adopted. The Lexus IS250/350 had them back in 2006 (rest of the Lexus lineup eventually got them), Cadillac added it to the CTS in 2008, and Kia included it in the Optima in 2011 (or whenever the redesign was). The 3 series, A4/A5, and G37 don't have them, which is disappointing. I'd rather have cooled seats make their way down to more standard vehicles (like the Focus/Focus ST!) than stuff like lane departure warning systems.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I would kill for some cooled seats. Borrowing my moms mustang with black leather seats in 109* heat with no shade anywhere at work...I swear my butt is going to cook one of these days. Hopefully they smell like ham or bacon so at least it smells appetizing.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Fwiw, there is a ventation diffuser directly underneath the focus' front seats. You could easily modify it to route some air up into the seats. With the cloth recaros this might actually work pretty well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know why cooled seats are being so slowly adopted. The Lexus IS250/350 had them back in 2006 (rest of the Lexus lineup eventually got them), Cadillac added it to the CTS in 2008, and Kia included it in the Optima in 2011 (or whenever the redesign was). The 3 series, A4/A5, and G37 don't have them, which is disappointing. I'd rather have cooled seats make their way down to more standard vehicles (like the Focus/Focus ST!) than stuff like lane departure warning systems.
I'm guessing cost is part of the factor, but hopefully soon it'll be small enough to start adding (at least as an option) to lesser segment cars.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm guessing cost is part of the factor, but hopefully soon it'll be small enough to start adding (at least as an option) to lesser segment cars.
If they can put it in a Kia Optima, it can't be that expensive.

With black leather (BMW and Infiniti both had light grey leather), if I get the ST I'll probably have to purchase one of those sun shades for the windshield. Even in Wisconsin we had some 100+ degree days this summer.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If they can put it in a Kia Optima, it can't be that expensive.

With black leather (BMW and Infiniti both had light grey leather), if I get the ST I'll probably have to purchase one of those sun shades for the windshield. Even in Wisconsin we had some 100+ degree days this summer.
I'm guessing that it *must* be more expensive than heated seats. Otherwise, why would manufacturers make one a standard nowadays and the other an exception?

Either that or someone in marketing hasn't been talking with engineering about where the people all live in the U.S. Last I read we were at WELL over 50% (closer to 60%) of folks living in the South and West vs. Midwest and NE. The market is there. I can think of no reason to ignore it except cost.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts