Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they going to see it as a regular compact and treat it the same as your run of the mill focus? or are they going to see it as a "sports car" because of the turbo and the amount of horsepower?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
They will input the VIN into their system and what comes out of it is how they rate it. Traveler's knew it was a 2013 Ford Focus ST and I got a quote. For me, male, 24, great driving record, with $1000 deductible on comprehensive/collision is about $900 for the year. My current 2000 Mercury Mystique is $460 a year without collision.

Doesn't seem too bad to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will input the VIN into their system and what comes out of it is how they rate it. Traveler's knew it was a 2013 Ford Focus ST and I got a quote. For me, male, 24, great driving record, with $1000 deductible on comprehensive/collision is about $900 for the year. My current 2000 Mercury Mystique is $460 a year without collision.

Doesn't seem too bad to me.
My quotes have been real high actually, what company do you go through? everyone that i have tried hasnt been able to pull what the vehicle is...i have a vin, i work at my local ford dealer

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Traveler's Insurance.

Oh, I forgot to add that I went through a broker. That may be the difference between an online quote not showing an ST.

I got the quote about a month ago and at this point I am waiting on the VIN. My broker told me it should go down because the safety features were not all in the system.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I just tried with Geico and the ST isn't listed yet. Sent them an email requesting a quote.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm insured through Travelers with my F-150. They told me last week that the "symbols", which is they way Travelers rates cars, were not available yet. Your broker probably gave you a quote based on a 2012 regular Focus. I went through the same thing when I took delivery of my 2012 Focus in April of 2011. Even with a VIN, they still needed the symbols.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I'm insured through Travelers with my F-150. They told me last week that the "symbols", which is they way Travelers rates cars, were not available yet. Your broker probably gave you a quote based on a 2012 regular Focus. I went through the same thing when I took delivery of my 2012 Focus in April of 2011. Even with a VIN, they still needed the symbols.
That could be the case and if so, I may be in for a rude awakening once the system is updated...hold on to your hats everyone.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'm hoping it won't be far off of what you said though, as my premium was little over 850. And I'm 22 with great driving record and $1k deductible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
American Family quoted me $600.00 a year. Told agent it was sports car and was told they base most of the rate by the price of the car and driving record.

·
Registered
246 Posts
i currently have travelers for a 2011 ford fusion and it is 1080 a year. im 31 with clean record, cdl, homeowners discount, and married so im kinda scared to see the insurance rate. hopefully it will be less than 12 or 1300 per year.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll get dinged heavily because where I live is inexplicably considered "high risk" for comprehensive and collision. I'm expecting about $2K a year with a $1,000 deductible. But maybe not. I'm an AARP member after all, and we're supposed to be low risk :)

You guys might want to check out 21st Century. Their prices were way lower* than Geico, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, Farmers and AAA. No I don't work for them.

*IF you have a clean driving record. Otherwise, I think Progressive might be cheaper.

·
4,009 Posts
I'll get dinged heavily because where I live is inexplicably considered "high risk" for comprehensive and collision. I'm expecting about $2K a year with a $1,000 deductible. But maybe not. I'm an AARP member after all, and we're supposed to be low risk :)

You guys might want to check out 21st Century. Their prices were way lower* than Geico, Progressive, State Farm, Allstate, Farmers and AAA. No I don't work for them.

*IF you have a clean driving record. Otherwise, I think Progressive might be cheaper.
I am paying 579 a year on a 2012 Focus Titanium with a 500 dollar deductible I'd expect the ST to be more if HP is a factor in the rate.

I know our rate went down when we went from an Ecoboost Flex to a Explorer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Believe it or not, talking with my insurance agent a few times, Your actual premium nowadays has less to do with the car's power, and more to do with your age and location, and the cars safety and security features. Only time will truly tell though

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
685 Posts
By car standards, 250hp isn't that high. But if it's branded a "Performance Car", it's not the car that makes it so expensive so much as the person attracted to that car. It becomes about how you might use it.

·
4,009 Posts
One of those times when being older has its advantages.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Believe it or not, talking with my insurance agent a few times, Your actual premium nowadays has less to do with the car's power, and more to do with your age and location, and the cars safety and security features. Only time will truly tell though

I used to work in the insurance industry and you are SO right!!

They are looking PRIMARILY at :
GARAGED and USE location of vehicle (usually by zip code)
DRIVING RECORD
COST of VEHICLE
UNDERWRITING SYMBOLS
CREDIT RATING
Underaged drivers in household

·
4,009 Posts
Got my quote back. Went from a current premium of 579 for a 2012 Titanium Focus to 602 for the ST.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just tried to get an online quote from usaa. They don't have the 2013 focus st in their system yet. I did get a quote on a 2013 focus titanium just for kicks to see the premium and it was $670 per year. That's with a $500 deductible, 20,000 miles per year, in CT, and possibly includes some level of multi-product discount.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Don't even get me STARTED. The AARP (and free time to vote) is the reason that the second most dangerous group of drivers on the road doesn't get even a small percentage of the scrutiny and punitive sentencing that the most dangerous group does. At 65, you ain't a problem. At 85, there damn well better be a prison cell waiting for you if you kill someone with reckless driving like there would be if you're 19 or 20. But it doesn't go down that way since the AARP keeps the scum-sucking ticks in office.

Ah...I feel better now.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey that's ageism. A person with terrible vision, arthritis, mild dementia, and slow reaction speeds is a great driver, but only if they're over 65. Under 65 we'd have to treat them like anyone else and ban them from the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts