Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the tread wear rating on these Bridgestones is 140, I'm not expecting them to last all that long. What is everyone seeing? 15,000 miles? At $208 a piece on tirerack.com they are not exactly cheap.

Not to mention 205 40 17 seems to be a size that is less popular now-a-days.

There are tons of tires in the 205 45 17 size, including the tires I loved on my last car, Continental Extreme Contact DW (and they are $100!!). I'm assuming they will fit, is anyone close yet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think it is because of the size.
Whats interesting is that during the Import Revolution, 205 40 17 was the most common tire size and tires were super cheap. Fast forward 10 years and 205 45 17 is more common.
gotta wonder ...

·
Registered
433 Posts
It looks like all the other tires they list in your size are quite a bit cheaper than that Bridgestone, even the RE760 is almost $100 less per tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like all the other tires they list in your size are quite a bit cheaper than that Bridgestone, even the RE760 is almost $100 less per tire.
Yeah, I'm no fan of Bridgestones. Had them on three previous cars and several different models, don't care for them. I'd like to run the Conti's again, fantastic tire. When the time comes I may step up to the 205 45 17 even though it is .8" taller all around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since the tread wear rating on these Bridgestones is 140, I'm not expecting them to last all that long. What is everyone seeing? 15,000 miles? At $208 a piece on tirerack.com they are not exactly cheap.

Not to mention 205 40 17 seems to be a size that is less popular now-a-days.

There are tons of tires in the 205 45 17 size, including the tires I loved on my last car, Continental Extreme Contact DW (and they are $100!!). I'm assuming they will fit, is anyone close yet?
Might be awhile until anyone has 15,000 miles on their Fiesta ST. heh ;) Have you checked out the wear rating of the other tires? Most have double or more the rating than the OEM fitted Bridgestones. A 140 rating is quite soft, so going to say.. a 300 WR could possibly effect the way the car handles. This is especially significant *IF* the sidewall is softer as well. Just something to think about. For me, I plan on getting a set of black 17x7 O.Z. Ulteggeras, have them widened 1/2 an inch and using 215/40-17 tire. Since I am leasing my FiST, I will keep my stock wheels and tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My '11 Mazdaspeed 3 came with RE050As and when they worked they were the best out of all the subsequent sets I tried. But those were 225/40-18s on 18x8 wheels (I went with Konig Deceptions).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might be awhile until anyone has 15,000 miles on their Fiesta ST. heh ;) Have you checked out the wear rating of the other tires? Most have double or more the rating than the OEM fitted Bridgestones. A 140 rating is quite soft, so going to say.. a 300 WR could possibly effect the way the car handles. This is especially significant *IF* the sidewall is softer as well. Just something to think about. For me, I plan on getting a set of black 17x7 O.Z. Ulteggeras, have them widened 1/2 an inch and using 215/40-17 tire. Since I am leasing my FiST, I will keep my stock wheels and tires.
I have had plenty of OEM tires rated at 140 over the years that gripped far worse than the 300 UTQ+ performance ones I put back on. In fact I have never had an OEM supplied 140 rated tire perform better than its 300+ counter parts. The Bridgestone RE92's that shipped on the WRX were garbage with a 140 rating. I'm not impressed with these Bridgestones either, and I know for a fact the Conti DW will handle better.

As for the Ultraleggeras, I loved my Superleggeras in 17 x 7, I ran a 225 45 17 for over 100k no issues. I'd save your money and not bother with the widening over 3/8" section width.

Hell if you go to Bridgestones site and select the RE50A in 205 40 17 or type in 2014 Ford Fiesta, it says "Sorry no tires for that vehicle." Even the tire rack has "limited stock"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Jeremy! I'm not use to reading "205" tire size. lol I'm running 225/45/17 DWS's on my winter wheels now on the WRX and for summer I run 235/45/17 lol

What's the widest tire you can put on a FiST FoST? Just curious. (If I ever plan on replacing the WRX) ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the FiST seems to be around a 215 on the stock wheel. The wheel wells are small and close, part of what makes it look good. I'd bet you could squeeze 225's in there with the right aftermarket wheel.

With 205's though the FiST feels great.

The FoST comes with 235's, not sure if want to go wider than that.

I ran 225 45 17's on my Rex.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts