Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 2012 Focus Titanium w/ the handling package and I am woefully unsatisfied with the vehicle, but not with Ford. You can read my whole story here Decided, I'm going to trade my Titanium for an ST when it comes out - Focus Fanatics

I have a bit of a commute, about 50 miles each way. I have had my Titanium since September and I currently have 15,xxx miles on it. So lets just round that to 2500 miles a month. I am head over heels for the ST, but my main concern is that 2500 miles a month is too many to put on a performance car, even if each mile is a blast to drive. I think I can get my monthly driving to about 2100 miles by using the other half's Hybrid for longer trips together on the weekends.

So there it is, 25k miles a year too many miles to be putting on an ST?

·
Registered
358 Posts
It depends on how long you want to drive this car.

The old ST has no Problems with 120.000 miles. But we cannot compare these two machines.

In Germany everybody would say...guy..buy a Diesel!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Depends on what your plans are for the car. Are you planning to mod it or stay stock? If you stay somewhat stock it should be no problem. If you start to add boost it will put more pressure on the motor. Also depends on your driving habits. If you drive it like you stole it (like I will) then yeah, it will cut down on the engine life. Do all proper matinance and it will be fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am planning on keeping it stock. One of the things I hated about the regular Focus was the lack of power, so I got into a pipe dream about all the mods I want to do, and I essentially would end up trying to make an ST that would cost me more, not perform as well, and probably break after a couple thousand miles.

I like the notion of a system that was designed entirely from the ground up to work together, like the ST.

I know that Ford is know for its reliable engines, but its Automatic Transmissions, especially the DCT, have been known to be crap. So having a manual really helps my peace of mind when it comes to longevity since I plan on owning this car for about 5 years.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I know that Ford is know for its reliable engines, but its Automatic Transmissions, especially the DCT, have been known to be crap. So having a manual really helps my peace of mind when it comes to longevity since I plan on owning this car for about 5 years.
I can attest to that statement. I replaced the auto tranny in my car after 65,000 miles. However, it was a rental car for the first 22,000 miles...

On your first point. One of my coworkers bought a brand new 09 MS3 and has put 73,000 miles on it in 2.5 years. He drives about 45 minutes to work every day and also has extreme motion sickness, so he never is a passenger. His car is still running strong with only a minor brake issue that was a simple fix. Of course, it is a Mazda, different engine, different tranny, but my point is that he put a ton of miles on a turbo'd DD.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does it really matter how rapidly you put the miles on? It definitely matters how many miles, and how aggressively you're driving when you put them on, but if you maintain the engine well with quality fluids, etc, then you shouldn't have a problem with putting a total of 125,000 miles on any engine.

The tests Ford does on an engine are much more demanding since they try to cram the entire simulated lifetime of a vehicle into a few months. Short of driving on a track every day for hours, you probably aren't going to be as hard on it as they are.

I like the notion of a system that was designed entirely from the ground up to work together, like the ST.
Agreed. This is why I'm not going to turbocharge my current Focus and instead by an ST

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
My dad keeps telling me that Turbo engines do not last very long, or as long as naturally aspirated engines. I really don't know if that is true. I think as long as you don't "dog" your engine, and keep up on all services/maintenance intervals then a turbo engine should last over 100,000 miles before you have to start changing parts.

This is an issue I am concerned about as well, because I know I am going to be putting some mods on my car... Case in point, just sell the car before 100K miles. :O:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's good to hear that most all of you find it OK to drive as much as I do with an ST. Also since I am not planning on modifying the car, I am even more optimistic about long term usage.

Chad, in response to your father's remarks, I would like to mention the Powerstroke turbo-diesel line of engines. They routinely reach 300k miles with only scheduled maintenance. Granted, a diesel block is made of steel due to the immense compression forces, but in the end, its still forced induction. Now in the case of a gasoline power turbo vehicle, I think the perceived decrease in longevity is most likely the intensity at which some drivers drive them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, if my 2004 SVT is any indication, you won't be able to kill the ST. I'm at 257k miles on the SVT, the engine has never been apart and it still uses no oil. BTW, it sees red line everyday, too. It's the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. Let's hope its ST replacement is half as good.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, if my 2004 SVT is any indication, you won't be able to kill the ST. I'm at 257k miles on the SVT, the engine has never been apart and it still uses no oil. BTW, it sees red line everyday, too. It's the most trouble-free car I've ever owned. Let's hope its ST replacement is half as good.
Word up. I'm still loving mine and its ability to take my "loving abuse," too. But, mind you, we're not talking turbo'd cars here...

But, on that note, to the OP: I'd buy the car you're going to be happiest spending all that time in (i.e. the ST, presumably) and not worry about the miles you put on it.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think that the most important thing is how well you plan on maintaining the car?

I think that regular oil changes, air filter, tire rotations, timing belt, etc. As long as you stay on top of the little stuff, and keep it stock, I believe you'll have small issues at most.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just as another to show, we have a customer at work w/ a DD F-150 SVT Lightning(supercharged) that has almost 300k on it. He must drive it hard, too; we tires on it every few months. And besides regular maintenance, no major problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dad keeps telling me that Turbo engines do not last very long, or as long as naturally aspirated engines. I really don't know if that is true. I think as long as you don't "dog" your engine, and keep up on all services/maintenance intervals then a turbo engine should last over 100,000 miles before you have to start changing parts.

This is an issue I am concerned about as well, because I know I am going to be putting some mods on my car... Case in point, just sell the car before 100K miles. :O:
My Saab turbo went 253K before the engine had problems. I drove it pretty hard sometimes, up to 145 MPH and had lots of fun on twisty mountain roads. I put over 20K miles per year on it. It also has a 4 cyl, 2L engine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I made up my mind rather quickly and took the plunge and placed an order for an ST about a month ago but won't take delivery until late winter.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I didn't buy this car to sit in my driveway. So basically - how ever many miles a year I put on it - is how many miles it will go. Smile factor alone means I will get what I paid for.

I think the better question is how many miles a year is enough?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. This engine is being used across the board in most of Fords models. As a result I'm sure it's been designed for durability.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I plan to drive it into the ground. :yay:

My commute is 130 miles round trip 5 days a week. I plan to use the ST for daily driver status as well as a road trip car. It will be nice to 'retire' my Mustangs from the commute and weekly gas guzzling. :!!:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts