Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
The cost for adding them on new, this is NEW purchase dealership parts is gonna be PAINFUL! estimates are 1-2K.
The other idea is to wait for some poor doof to crack thiers up and grab the parts used. I would estimate that they will be REALLY close to that price, too.
Cheaper to get it while you can, NOW.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If the current materials hold on the ST3 is due to the HIDs, just remember...

High demand + Low supply = $$$

I can see a complete HID kit for the ST being two grand.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I agree with everyone else on this one. If you want factory style HIDs, you're looking at a couple thousand. But if you would like just Fake HIDs, you can get kits for around $200, but those are no projectors, no proper HID reflectors, and no LED running lights.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here's a different point of view. It looks like the ST3 HIDs have "cornering functionality" according to Ford's website. If correct, generally this means the light turns when the steering wheel turns. Also, generally, cornering headlights are not available if not factory installed. Even if you buy all the parts from the dealer parts dept, and install aftermarket, your lights still will not turn when the steering wheel turns. Many people think this, by itself, is enough of a reason to buy the factory option.

Also, FWIW, generally dealer HID parts run $800 - $1200, not counting installation. Depending on your dealer, even if you could get and actually install the parts from the dealer, you might still need the dealer to install if you don't want to worry about your warranty. If HIDs are almost manadatory to you (and they are to most people who have driven with them), then the add'l price from ST2 to ST3 seems worthwhile.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The additional price would have been worth it for me to go from ST2 to ST3 except I DON'T want full leather seats or nav.

I also asked Lisa on the Ford ST FB page about the cornering ability and I vaguely remember her mentioning lights that light up on the side of the headlight when you are turning, not the actual headlight beam turning when you turn.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The more and more I debate trim the more I lean towards ST2. I can afford the price difference from ST2 to ST3 but going from a couple Audi to a Honda Civic Si I felt seats that are not 100% leather felt sportier to me and that's what I want. With that said I will check out both trims at the Performance Academy on the 21st and go from there.

The additional price would have been worth it for me to go from ST2 to ST3 except I DON'T want full leather seats or nav.

I also asked Lisa on the Ford ST FB page about the cornering ability and I vaguely remember her mentioning lights that light up on the side of the headlight when you are turning, not the actual headlight beam turning when you turn.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I'm with you on the cloth seat centers and no nav. It sounds like the HID headlight unit will be different if it includes these side cornering lights, which won't be part of the non-HID lights. That may make retro-fitting the Factory HID lights that much more difficult, especially if the wiring harness is not set up for these side cornering lights. Which leaves the question of whether Ford will offer a HID kit for the ST1 and ST2 trim levels.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

I like those too, but I was thinking that that turning driving lights was a bit hi-lux for this model.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'm in on this thread. HIDs are the only thing that even made me ponder an ST3 car, but the upcharge wasn't worth it to me for the rest of the accoutrements. I would love to do some post-purchase upgrades to the lighting, but am happy to wait for aftermarket solutions that are of high-quality as well.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm in on this thread. HIDs are the only thing that even made me ponder an ST3 car, but the upcharge wasn't worth it to me for the rest of the accoutrements. I would love to do some post-purchase upgrades to the lighting, but am happy to wait for aftermarket solutions that are of high-quality as well.
:thumb: I'm gonna be waiting for someone to bring out some LED DRLs to mount down by the fogs, similar to what's available for the current 2012 Focus models: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) : Automotive Safety & Convenience, Parking Sensors / Rear Cameras & Monitors

Not at all a fan of the 'eyebrow' LED placement on the ST3.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
looks kind of Audi-ish....
Yeah exactly what I was thinking, I don't want my car looking like a knockoff Audi (who pretty much have the LEDs-in-the-headlight-assembly market cornered). Especially when it seems like the lux brands are moving to the LED light pipe for a nice smooth & sharp line. I've been seeing a couple new Cadillac ATS' around and their DRLs w/ the light pipe are sick.
http://caddyinfo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/CadillacATSatlanta00295.jpg

Bums me out that they werent used on the ST because Ford uses light pipes on both the Fiesta and Edge (but the application leaves something to be desired on both models).

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
It is my understanding that all ST3 retail / customer orders are good to go re the HID's. Only dealer / stock orders will be delayed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It is my understanding that all ST3 retail / customer orders are good to go re the HID's. Only dealer / stock orders will be delayed.
This is incorrect. ST3 retail orders will be affected, Ford just doesn't know how they will be affected. HIDs will be "late availability", so ST3 will either be delayed or maybe they will make HIDs a standalone option(I doubt this will happen).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Placing my order for an ST2 for the reasons mentioned. I don't want nave and certainly don't want full leather seats. Hope to find HID options in the future. Even if I have to pay the same amount for HID as for the ST3, I would still rather go that rout, thats how much I don't want full leather seats.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Placing my order for an ST2 for the reasons mentioned. I don't want nave and certainly don't want full leather seats. Hope to find HID options in the future. Even if I have to pay the same amount for HID as for the ST3, I would still rather go that rout, thats how much I don't want full leather seats.
That's too bad! The leather seats blow away the two-ways! lol Way better quality seat!

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I'm hoping tomorrow will get the delay figure settled.;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts