Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ground clearance greater than 5.6 inches is important where I live because of the harsh winters. Does anyone know or can estiate what the ground clearance of the 2013 Focus ST will be? I am betting it will be very similar to the 2012 Focus Titanium if anyone knows what the ground clearance of the this model is.

Thank you,
John Smith Not 1882 :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am reviving this thread to see if any new official information has been published about ground clearance. Consumer Reports tested 3 new regular Focuses and found their ground clearance with a full tank of fuel and driver is about 4.5". This is equal to a GTI and is a little short for harsh winters.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Whatever the regular Focus is, you can expect the ST to be slightly lower. I'm kinda shocked to see only 4.5" for the regular Focus, even with a full tank and driver, because the ST seemed to have plenty of ground clearance in Key West. In fact, it had enough to allow them to do this, over and over and over, without issue:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Nice video, DarkBuddha. It looks like in most conditions the STs ground clearance will not be an issue at all if it can jump over dips like that.

This is a good read on the suspension components on the Focus Titanium, likely the components on the ST will be similar:

2012 Ford Focus Titanium: Suspension Walkaround

I found this data on another Forum where someone measured a stock Titanium without driver:
2012 Focus Titanium Ground Clearance --
front bumper: 185 mm (7.28in)
engine cover lowest point: 120 mm (4.72in)
exhaust system lowest point: 220 (8.66in)
exhaust pipe 250 mm (9.84in)
rear bumper 260 mm (10.23in)
sills 160 mm (6.30in)
rear suspension elements 150 mm (5.90in)

Not sure I like the engine cover being the lowest point by more than an inch...

I heard on various sites that the ST was "10mm lower", but I'm not sure where on the car or compared to what. My guess would be the body is 10mm lower than the Focus Titanium with the handling package.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Not to worry. I had a 2001 Focus ZX3 and had a two inch drop on it. Drove in the deepest of Upstate NY snows with no problems at all. Just don't try driving into a driveway full of snow or you'll be shoveling out no matter what you drive (don't ask me how I know).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not sure I like the engine cover being the lowest point by more than an inch...

I heard on various sites that the ST was "10mm lower", but I'm not sure where on the car or compared to what. My guess would be the body is 10mm lower than the Focus Titanium with the handling package.
Good question. Ford's web page still doesn't list ground clearance anywhere I could find. It's a question to ask my dealer when the inbound ST arrives. I need better than 4.72 inches to avoid scraping bottom when I drive into the hunting property. It's a 1/2 mile of tall grass on a minimally-rutted single lane dirt road to get in there. No problem with 5.7 inches Prizm clearance, though I pick up a lot of weeds. Everyone else drives a pickup. A low clearance hatchback seems pretty marginal for driving on dirt roads.

How much of a strike can an engine cover take without being ruined? The above video suggests it can take a pounding, but we don't get to see how far the ST goes before it dies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I need to know this to as I have a very steep driveway and I want to make sure I can get the focus into the garage. My neighbor does not park their mustang in the garage because of this but then again my other neighbor can make it up there with his 4 door lexus sedan.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I need to know this to as I have a very steep driveway and I want to make sure I can get the focus into the garage. My neighbor does not park their mustang in the garage because of this but then again my other neighbor can make it up there with his 4 door lexus sedan.
This is the bigger issue for me -- getting in and out of steep driveways without tearing up the front chin...

·
Registered
122 Posts
My dealer is not able to determine the ST's clearance. It's top secret.

Probably somebody with a measuring tape could tell, but they'd be terminated for breaking Ford's code of silence.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really really would love if someone would do this for us. Anyone have a measuring tape handy? The guy above me is a physician so if Ford shoots you they could hopefully save your life.

If not we need a mortician to post next. Regardless I would really like to know if i could get it up my driveway. I could get my 06 STI up there by coming up at an angle so i'm thinking i should be fine?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just went out and measured mine It has 6.5 inches from the ground too the lowest point of any painted surface in front and the tires are 2' back from this point my math is fail but is seems like a 30 degree angle of attack at best the lowest painted surface i could find was just behind the front tires and it measured 5.75inches

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just went out and measured mine It has 6.5 inches from the ground too the lowest point of any painted surface in front and the tires are 2' back from this point my math is fail but is seems like a 30 degree angle of attack at best the lowest painted surface i could find was just behind the front tires and it measured 5.75inches
Thanks for doing that! I'll post a picture of my driveway at some point. I think i will make it an angle, and if not i have no problem parking it down below although my wife hates this idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ground clearance for the ST is better than my wife's 2010 Focus. I was worried about tearing up the front chin as well. I would not place an order until I had taken an ST for a test drive and had the dealer watch as I crept into the driveway. He said that there was a good inch of clearance. My wife's car will scrape the black plastic chin strip in the same spot.

Once I new the clearance was ok, I ordered a TS ST3.

·
Registered
753 Posts
According to the Road and Track article the ground clearance of the ST is 4.5 inches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts