Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since its new motor for ford, but a pretty common size engine for other companies. How do you think the engine will compair to a evo x or hyundia 2.0t engine?

I read that the car will have 10.1:1 CR and also it will have 9.3:1 CR. Any one know if these are forged internals or cast?

Also what size and brand turbo is on the car stock?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know what size but is a Borg Warner turbo

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Turbo is a borg warner k03. Not sure about the internals yet, hope to know more by the official launch date on the 15th.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those k03s are one the 1.8t VWs aren't they? Those make some good power don't they?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mehh k03 made like 240whp max in 1.8t jetta's and gti's. I had a speed6 and they had a k04. They topped out around 310-320 ish at like 26 psi. I would say since its running 16psi on the ST stock making 250, a K04 sounds about right.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Okay so is it a k03 or a k04 or does know one even know. Your guess sounds about right tho

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess i found something, that 300/320 max torque kinda worries me. Along with the cast pistons.

2.0 Ecoboost 203 PS/149 KW
Displacement 1999 cc
Bore 87.5 mm/Stroke 83.1 mm
Max torque 300 or 320 in overboost
Compression Ration: 10.0:1
Cylinders 4/Cylinder head DOHC gravity die cast aluminum alloy with sintered valve guides seats
Cylinder block - High pressure die cast aluminum alloy with bed plate
Crankshaft - Cast iron with 47 mm diameter crank pins, 8 counterweights, 5 52mm diameter main bearings & damped font pulley
Valve gear - single chain/Angle between valves 39 degrees
Valve sizes - Intake 32.5 mm/Exhaust 28.0 mm
Turbocharger - Borg Warner K03 low inertia integrated turbo system
Camshaft drive - Single chain
Pistons - Die cast
Connecting Rods - Drop forged & fractured
Engine management - Bosch MED17 with Can-Bus & individual knock control
Fuel injection - High pressure gas direct injection with 7 hole injectors
Ignition coil on plug, Distributor less electronic
Emission controls - Close coupled 3 way catalyst system with heated oxygen sensors & catalyst monitor, sensors post catalyst
Emission level - Euro Stage V

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah the cast iorn I don't like, or the k03 almost maxed out now

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That data is for a 2.0L EB 203 PS/149 KW power rating. The ST will have the 2.0L EB with a 250 PS/184 KW power rating. There are likely changes done to the internals from the standard 2.0L EB to achieve that power rating. But we can't say for sure I guess until its specs are released.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
In my experience, if your bearings are good quality and the conrods arent crap, main webs usually dont break until you double power output.
USUALLY the first thing that lets go is the fasteners that hold the main caps or the rod caps on.
I figure that if you pony up for a good stud kid like an ARP for the bottom end, you are gonna be alright up to +50% power or so.
Aint saying anything about the topside or the pistons or the oiling.. just about the block an mains barfin out on ya.

·
Registered
338 Posts
You can usually figure that you can increase your stock hp number by about 50% before stuff starts to let go (powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons). On a stock ST rated at 250 hp, you could take it as high as 375 flywheel hp (330 at the tire). My car has been 57% over stock hp on the stock rotating assy for 80,000 miles (523 hp vs 300 stock)...I haven't been nice to it in any sense of the word. I'm guessing the block itself will hold over 500 with forged rods and pistons. The trick will be tuners figuring out how to make that kind of power reliably with direct injection. It's all in the tune when you get close to that 150% mark. I'm certain that the turbo will have to be bigger than a K03 just based on the compressor map...it chokes out way too soon to support a 2.0L. A K04 is much broader as far as higher flow rates and pressures. I guess it really depends on how many CFM the engine can move, and how much boost Ford wants to throw at it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is def not a k03. I would say atleast a K04. I heard rumours Ford has plasma blasted the piston's, cylinder walls. Same technology they lended to Nissan for the GTR. Does anyone know understand this twin scroll technology?

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is def not a k03. I would say atleast a K04. I heard rumours Ford has plasma blasted the piston's, cylinder walls. Same technology they lended to Nissan for the GTR. Does anyone know understand this twin scroll technology?
From what I understand of my quick googling, plasma coating the pistons and cylinder walls just reduces friction it doesn't make anything stronger.

·
Registered
549 Posts
There is a post somewhere on the forum showing a graphic of which turbo it is and the power spectrum it can produce. Its second from bottom of borg warners turbos.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There is a post somewhere on the forum showing a graphic of which turbo it is and the power spectrum it can produce. Its second from bottom of borg warners turbos.
EFR-6258 thats the 1!

http://www.full-race.com/store/images/full/borgwarner-efr-6258-turbo-content-14.jpg

http://www.full-race.com/articles/efrturbotechbrief.pdf

If anyone wants to know about the NEW and exciting Turbo on our car read the above link in PDF form. Yes it is long but really interesting and informative. Did you know Indy cars use a BW EFR turbo!! :thumb:

·
Registered
57 Posts
The thing I am waiting to see is if the fuel system can keep up with mods. On my speed3 its a crap shoot if the cam driven fuel pump can maintain pressure. No fuel and you get a case of the zoom zoom BOOM.

I would think Ford would have learned a lot with the speed6 and 3 engines. So hopefully they wont have an fuel pump problems.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 241 Posts