Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm going to check more into that JL unit, but it looks like the enclosure isn't much larger than the stock one. I see the area above the sub as kinda dead space since you can't really put stuff on top of it, so I'd rather get more airspace for a higher power handling sub. If I don't like the JL unit, I'd pay you $450 to make one if you're serious!
Was there a particular sub you wanted?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I had a Kicker L7 in my SVT and loved it, so no reason to change - but I haven't done a ton of research yet.
That's a large sub, it'll need at least 1 cubic feet of airspace, which is twice the size of my box. This would be a much larger project then mine and I really don't think I have time to build one. But I'm more then willing to help you if you want to tackle it yourself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
This is an awesome thread. I will be doing the exact same thing to fit one of my SI BM mkIII subs into my ST.
I hear those Stereo Integrity subs are awesome. I wanted one for the Focus but they're not selling them anymore since they're busy making the mkIV model. I plan to buy one when they're released later this year and replace the Alpine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I hear those Stereo Integrity subs are awesome. I wanted one for the Focus but they're not selling them anymore since they're busy making the mkIV model. I plan to buy one when they're released later this year and replace the Alpine.
They are incredible, I was rocking 2 in my previous vehicle with Scanspeak fronts. I heard a very similar install with a pair of the Alpines and honestly they are comparable. Both use good motor technology (BM=XBL, Alpine=underhung) and have good soft parts. Output wise they are very close, SQ the BM wins by a touch. Also requires a tad less space (had mine in ~.46 each with polyfill and played flat down to 20Hz).

I'll probably sell my extra mkIII since I'm only putting 1 in the ST. The other needs a re-cone, gonna try to convince Nick to put some mkIV soft parts in it :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Awesome Sub Box! I am thinking about doing mine the same way. Are you using the stock speaker wires in the doors? Will they be able to handle the wattage of the aftermarket amps? Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks nice. I did something very similar in mine but for a 12". My problem was not using enough fiberglass so the box ended up resonating the bass. You really have to make it thick so the box doesn't flex.

·
Registered
1 Posts
looks like just what I was thinking!

Here's the box with the center cut out and after some rough sanding:

View attachment 7222 View attachment 7223

Test fitting the sub into the box:

View attachment 7224 View attachment 7225

Making sure the box fit into it's corner:

View attachment 7226 View attachment 7227 View attachment 7228

It's a tight fit, but I'll make it fit. I'll just need to file away some of the foam inserts.

I then applied some Bondo and then sand it down with 40 grit sandpaper to even it out as much as I can:

View attachment 7229

I bought some black car carpet from Autozone and used Loctite spray on adhesive to glue the carpet to the box.

View attachment 7331

I'm not very good at carpeting, there's some seams that I'd rather not be present but this is the best I could do:

View attachment 7332 View attachment 7333

And with the top cover on, it's hidden from prying eyes:

View attachment 7334
The finished product looks amazing and is exactly what I am thinking of doing for my Focus ST. I am planning on pretty much following your instructions to the "T" as I have never done fiberglass fabrication before. I imagine the project is complete now so how do you like your custom sub? would you have done anything differently if you were going to do this project over again? What did you do to get the wires into the enclosure and maintain a tight seal? how did you mount it to the car?

I am really impressed with your end result! I plan on doing this project within the next couple of weeks or maybe in November so I would really appreciate any suggestions you have!

Also, did you encounter any issues with My Ford Touch afterwords or any issues with steering wheel or dash electronics?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sorry for the late response but I sold my car and don't visit this site anymore. To answer a few questions, the sub is not bolted down, it's wedge in pretty deep into the corner so it's not moving anywhere. I was involved in a minor accident last year and the sub didn't move one inch after the crash. It sounded great with deep, nice bass which is what was missing in the stock sub. I wired the speaker ouput to an Audison Bit One Processor and that handled the sound EQ. My Ford Touch worked perfectly with the Bit One. I have an Accord now and plan to fiberglass another box for this car.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts