Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry I didn't take during photos, but this literally takes 30 seconds to do.

Tools needed: 1 long flat head screw driver or similar tool

First, I will tell you what not to do. Do not try to pop the mirror off like you can most cars. I tried and pulled the mirror motor apart. The mirror tabs are really on there and can be removed, but there is no need to remove the glass.
Second, do not pull or pry up from the bottom. This method will work, but I broke the small tab on the first cap I removed.

Okay, now that that is out of the way, you are going to power your accessories and move the mirror down with the adjuster as far as it will allow.

You will see 2 tabs along the top of the cap. These tabs secure the cap to the mirror housing.

Close up of each tab

All you have to do is hold the cap as you pry each tab down from behind the cap(easy to ID as the cap is painted on the inside as well.
Once each tab is free pull the top of the cap toward the front of the car while starting to rotate downward. the cap will pop free.
What the tabs look like from above.

Without the cap

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are the clips on the cap

Install is opposite of removal.
First install the bottom clips on to the housing.

Then start to rotate into place

And done!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Thank you for the write up. I've been wanting to pull them myself but had been reluctant to have at it.

Now, I need someone to be brave enough to do the same with a dash pull so I can mess with the center stack too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I plan on taking pics of most of my mods or maintenance for DIY write ups. I searched for a few hours on how to remove these and gave up. So, I figured it out luckily.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for posting! Does anyone know if the ST3 mirrors use a different cap?

Also, just out of curiosity, why did you decided to go with non-body matched mirror caps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a pretty popular mod in the euro community. I plan going with a black roof as well, so they will tie in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm trying to get mine off and they wont budge!!! i pushed both clips up but every time I hold up one clip the other goes down. I don't want to pull to hard it feels like they're going to break.... why is something so simple such a pain in my ass???

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm trying to get mine off and they wont budge!!! i pushed both clips up but every time I hold up one clip the other goes down. I don't want to pull to hard it feels like they're going to break.... why is something so simple such a pain in my ass???
Like 99% of car parts with clips, its designed to be easily put together, not taken apart. It sucks, I know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts