Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Im excited to be here! I am a current Focus owner. I absolutely adore my Focus (black 2006 zx3 SES)...however its missing a little in the power department.

A few years ago I heard a rumor that the euro focus was finally making its way over and I'm glad it's finally becoming a reality!

Recently I have been feeling the need for that extra power that my little gokart can't offer. So, I test drove a GTI a couple weekends ago and loved it (the sales guy even did donuts to show off it's turning radius) but I couldn't bring myself to own anything other than a Ford (my Focus is my 3rd). So, I guess it was perfect timing for the ST.

However, I am terrified of driving a stick. I know, it sounds stupid...and I did learn back when I first started driving (a craptastic '86 Toyota pickup) and absolutely hated it.
I swore then I would never own a manual, even though I LOVE driving and of course only real driving enthusiast own manual vehicles. So needless to say I am a bit anxious about purchasing an ST without much practice.

Anyway, I'd say that's enough adbout me...hopefully an ST is in my future. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I wouldn't worry about the manual transmission in the ST. About 8 years ago I bought my first MT car (2003 Honda Civic EX) having never driven a manual before and I've loved every minute of it since. Automatics now just annoy me, they are generally rather boring to drive and just feel generally sluggish to me even if they have decent power.

After a few months driving a MT car you'll get so used to it you might even start trying to push in the clutch when you jump into your friend's auto car. At least, I always do!

·
Registered
176 Posts
So far, I've only owned manual transmission cars, I feel funny driving an automatic. Once you get the hang of it, it's quite fun when you have more control over when you shift. I had a friend teach me before I bought my first car. Where in So Cal are you? I'm in the Antelope Valley, I could let you practice in my Saab. It's probably close to what the Focus ST will be, a 2.0L 4 cylinder, eco turbo. Only 185HP though, I couldn't afford the top 235HP model at the time. :(

I plan on buying the Focus ST2, still vacillating on pre-order or not. I'm sort of hoping they might play around with the available options a bit after they actually start production.

David

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I plan on buying the Focus ST2, still vacillating on pre-order or not. I'm sort of hoping they might play around with the available options a bit after they actually start production.

David

I don't think that there will be any chances until next model year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome :welcome: - and don't be overly concerned about driving a manual. The two cars I own are a 2002 SVT Focus and a 2008 Infiniti G35 Sedan Sport. The Infiniti has paddle shifters - admittedly not as sophisticated as the DSG unit (or whatever the designation is) in the GTI you drove. The SVT Focus is a 6 speed - and even though the car has considerable less horsepower (and more importantly less torque) than the Infiniti, the SVT is infinitely (pun intended) more fun to drive. And the reason is the manual transmission. You'll find yourself much more engaged with your driving when you drive a manual.

And with the ST having monstrous torque numbers, you get the hang of driving a manual quickly. :yay:

·
Registered
252 Posts
One more SoCali in the house. The stick thing is usually enjoyable, though I have to do more L.A. stop-and-slow freeway driving than I'd prefer, and a manual can be tedious then. If I were using a car for that kind of driving regularly, I would opt for an automatic. Fortunately, my regular "commute" is 10 miles each way on the Angeles Crest Hwy. I live and work on the mountain, and take my son to school in town, shop, post office, etc., so I'm often up and down a couple of times a day. Very excited to jazz up that drive!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow. I hadn't realized there were so many SoCal folks on here. A meet up will have to happen once everyone has their shiny new STs.

David, that is so incredibly nice of you! I live about an hour and a half South East of there (Ontario). I may have to take you up in that offer.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I may have to make a Southern California Forum. lol

:Welcome: from Mid-Michigan. Still blazing cold and its may!!!

However, I am terrified of driving a stick. I know, it sounds stupid...and I did learn back when I first started driving (a craptastic '86 Toyota pickup) and absolutely hated it.
The owner of this site doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Chad: are you serious?? You don't know how to drive a manual!!! :confused:

Once you get your ST, you'll have to share with us the story of your first stop on a steep hill. I can't wait to hear how many times the car stalls!!! :LOL:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts