Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Big upgrade. It is complete, however the templates got a little messy. You will notice these issues, if you can please report them to me.

You now have a Cell Phone template.

Server Performance is pending a member load. If things keep up like this with the data base errors then we will have no choice but to move to better hosting. We have out grown out current hosting.

Chad

·
Registered
693 Posts
The mobile templet might be a little sloppy for me. I think with time though one may get used to it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Might be easier to add Tapatalk support. That way you'll know it will work on a variety of devices. I actually use Tapatalk on my iPad for most forums that have it, rather than the full page. I just like the layout they use for forums better than the typical forum layout. But it's especially useful for mobile.
I've never gone through the process myself, but adding support for Tapatalk is free. Read up on it here: Tapatalk Forum App - Empowering Forum Junkies on-the-go

·
Registered
148 Posts
Chad - you created a monster. Numerous sites have quoted ST Nation as a source for information; and as I mentioned yesterday the readership has increased exponentially. You should take pride in having "birthed" a website that in a short period of time has become THE SOURCE for information concerning Ford's ST products. Congratulations - and keep the servers working! :thumb:

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might be easier to add Tapatalk support. That way you'll know it will work on a variety of devices. I actually use Tapatalk on my iPad for most forums that have it, rather than the full page. I just like the layout they use for forums better than the typical forum layout. But it's especially useful for mobile.
I've never gone through the process myself, but adding support for Tapatalk is free. Read up on it here: Tapatalk Forum App - Empowering Forum Junkies on-the-go

TapaTalk is a licensed product that is about $1000 per year to maintain. :D

This mobile stuff came free with my upgrade, I am not complaining. :yay:

Chad - you created a monster. Numerous sites have quoted ST Nation as a source for information; and as I mentioned yesterday the readership has increased exponentially. You should take pride in having "birthed" a website that in a short period of time has become THE SOURCE for information concerning Ford's ST products. Congratulations - and keep the servers working! :thumb:
Thank you! I do take pride in that, but the "ST" title fight is not over. There two sleeping giants to worry about still. And I am working very hard to keep this place up.

The site is loading a lot faster today, but only a 100 guest member load will let me know what we got.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just make sure that whatever mobile template you're using keeps up with updates. In some cases they offer security vulnerabilities because they don't enforce the same rules that the normal pages do. Frinstance, on NASIOC, there was a period where banned people could browse the site using the mobile interface even though they couldn't use the regular site...

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I will watch for those. Thanks

I have been investigating some things, and it seems mostly when querying for album information (pictures) is when the slow down comes. What happens is this, when there is an excessive amount of traffic the server throttles us. That in turn slows down the connection to the mySQL database. So when users are accessing larger database items and the server is throttling us it keeps that connection to the data base open longer than needs to be.

We only 15 open slots per data base user. When one job is done, that slot can now be moved for another request. Well what is happening is there are no slots for new requests. BAM... Data base error.

The only way to fix this issue is

A) they give me more slots
B) they stop throttling us
C) We pack our bags to another server with dedicated hosting (expensive) *Did research, we need a minimum of $100 a month for dedicated hosting.

We are stuck with this for a while. Sorry folks.

*** No Database errors in over an hour. Once I tweaked some settings with attachments for guests.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Nice work Chad!

If people are interested in tapatalk, maybe start a donation for it or something.
I have not considered this yet. However, I would prefer to have the site pay for itself in advertising dollars.

http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php

Two app licensing $1,598.00...its a wash at the moment.

Although it does say free signup.

----

I'll work on getting it installed later, it is free.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah, it's free to make your site accessible through the TapATalk app. Payments are for when you want a dedicated app.
The mobile site doesn't display correctly on my iPhone. All the sections are squished into the left side in portrait orientation. Works fine in landscape, but TapATalk would be optimal

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

Currently I am working on a new template that should address all of the problems. When I am done you will be able to choose any 6 different color themes.

I will need to borrow an iphone to work out the issues with the mobile template. On my android phone it works fine. It did have a problem, but I corrected it.

Tapatalka will be installed later tonight.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tapa Talk is installed.

I should have a new and improved style to push out to everyone by tomorrow.

Update on the server performance
Regrettably, Shaun made it clear we allow 15 concurrent connections per MySQL user. This is a fixed limitation. All MySQL queries should be performed in milliseconds, not longer than a second. Because this is a shared hosting, we cannot allow one customer to have more concurrent connections than others. If we raised it equally for all, MySQL server performance will suffer because of the abuse from multiple users who aren't optmizing their connections.
No help.

I need a $1,400 dollars for a yearly hosting budget. Most dedicated hosting company's require full pay for their services.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
New Template Done

Let me know if you have any issues.

Each additional color will follow the same layout, with different colors and header.

Next in line to be fixed or added.

• New and Improved Tangerine Scream, with current car color
  • New and Improved Race red with 5-Door car
  • Ingot Silver
  • Oxford White
  • Tuxedo Black

Reactions: STephan

·
Registered
252 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts