Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to negotiate with dealerships lately, exclusively through E-mail, and our communication is great until I give them a rough figure of what I want to spend. Then I usually do not receive a response from them. When I did receive a response from the last dealer they basically said no on the price and that we were finished negotiating, and they also lied to me at the same time. I'm looking at spending around 20,000-21,000 before taxes and with a trade in and x-plan. This is not a hard number to agree on, unless the dealer wants to sell the base ST above MSRP, which they said they would not. I guess the question I have is, Am I going about this wrong? I hate to do things over the phone, and going into the dealer is a nightmare for me, based on passed experiences. Every time I go into the dealership I am treated like a ignorant child and end up playing a passive aggressive game with the salesman over price, and their justification of an overpriced car.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Xplan sets the price if dealer participates with only about $100 worth of wiggle room for paperwork. Ask if dealer Xplans. If not, move on. Price should end up very close to invoice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been trying to negotiate with dealerships lately, exclusively through E-mail, and our communication is great until I give them a rough figure of what I want to spend. Then I usually do not receive a response from them. When I did receive a response from the last dealer they basically said no on the price and that we were finished negotiating, and they also lied to me at the same time. I'm looking at spending around 20,000-21,000 before taxes and with a trade in and x-plan. This is not a hard number to agree on, unless the dealer wants to sell the base ST above MSRP, which they said they would not. I guess the question I have is, Am I going about this wrong? I hate to do things over the phone, and going into the dealer is a nightmare for me, based on passed experiences. Every time I go into the dealership I am treated like a ignorant child and end up playing a passive aggressive game with the salesman over price, and their justification of an overpriced car.
I'm thinking if I was selling something and was taking something on trade I would want to see it before any price was talked about. I know when I have went to look at used cars in the past and was told it was cherry or real clean, well lets just say others standards are not the same as mine. Take your car and go see the man. They will take you more serious when you are there in person.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Straight up tell them that Dealer A is going to give you this price. And see if they will match or do better.

Not that we are at all qualified to determined the trade in value of your car, but what are you trading in?

What do you want to order? ST1 for sure? But one thing I don't understand is how you are going to use X-Plan and the dealer is going to charge MSRP? If they accept your X-Plan then they cannot do this. Unless they won't accept your X-Plan?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Straight up tell them that Dealer A is going to give you this price. And see if they will match or do better.

Not that we are at all qualified to determined the trade in value of your car, but what are you trading in?

What do you want to order? ST1 for sure? But one thing I don't understand is how you are going to use X-Plan and the dealer is going to charge MSRP? If they accept your X-Plan then they cannot do this. Unless they won't accept your X-Plan?
What I meant by charging MSRP was as a base price before the xplan. I was more concerned that they start at MSRP and not charge above because I have got that already too. My trade in is a 2002 Ford Taurus with around 100,000 miles. It has the usually dents and dings, but nothing serious and the power steering slowly leaks. Outside of that it is a normal Ford Taurus, and I have Kelly Blue booked it and even looked at every dealer, Ford or not, in the Indianapolis area and they are selling my same car for 6,000 roughly. I know I can at least get 2,000 for my car if not more. Actually I will not take any less than 2,000.

I for sure want the ST1. Unfortunately I have a limited budget and this vehicle is stretching it to the max. I love what I have seen about the car and the base model will do just fine for me. I want to pay cash for it as well, being a student does not leave much room for extra money and I have been working my a** off to save a much as I can to so I can be an owner of a Focus ST.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xplan sets the price if dealer participates with only about $100 worth of wiggle room for paperwork. Ask if dealer Xplans. If not, move on. Price should end up very close to invoice.
ok thanks that's what I thought

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I'm reading your numbers right you may have a hard time reaching a deal.

My best advice is to get your car appraised away from any negotiations with your prospective Ford dealer. That is, you need to know what your cars wholesale/cash value is.

Try carmax and the used car manager at a ford dealer where you have not expressed an interest in buying anything. Just ask what they'll give you for it.

Once you have this number, the rest is simple math give or take a few hundred as stated above.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
How about breaking it into 2 phases:
Find a dealer that gives X-plan, get them to stick to Xplan.

Then:
Show up with the trade in on the day you go to get it and tell them about it, since you gotta show up in person anyway.

The trade in value goes against the purchase price, yeah? Yo DO know your credit score and have a NON DEALER finance arrangement? Yes?

·
Registered
166 Posts
How about breaking it into 2 phases:
Find a dealer that gives X-plan, get them to stick to Xplan.

Then:
Show up with the trade in on the day you go to get it and tell them about it, since you gotta show up in person anyway.

The trade in value goes against the purchase price, yeah? Yo DO know your credit score and have a NON DEALER finance arrangement? Yes?
Taking it one step at a time is the way to go. The dealer's job is to take your money, the more confusing you make the situation, the more room he has work you over.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
So wait a little longer to buy, save another $1000, and that will help the situation a bit. With X-Plan and a ST1 plus your trade it is possible to reach what you want. But it won't be easy to make it perfect.

Step by step as others have said.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Couple of things...

1. You will never find a dealer with a brain that will price a trade-in over the phone or via e-mail. As was mentioned earlier, they need to see the car. And even then, they need to find a buyer for the car if they aren't going to keep it. Unless they are unusually small, your car is not a good unit for their lot, and therefore has to go to either auction or a wholesaler. Basically, best-case scenario, the dealer is going to MAYBE make a couple hundred bucks on your car.

2. Also good advice above is to go get an appraisal at CarMax or even another dealer. With so little tax incentive, you may be better off selling it on your own.

3. If I have time tomorrow, I'll try and find out what your car would be worth at auction, which will give you a very fair value on the low end of things. I have access to most, but not all of the tools that dealers do, so I might be able to help.

4. If you call the dealer and press the issue with the trade in, they aren't going to take you seriously. See #1.

I think you're VERY close, but on a razor-thin margin on what you can afford. You might also consider being slightly more flexible in regard to pricing (within hundreds, not thousands, of dollars), and you'll be okay.

If you're financing the car, even $1K may not make that big of a dent in your budget. And if you're that close to your financial tipping point, I hate to say it, but you may want to consider other options. You don't want to end up having someone haul the thing away later. :(

Good luck! And if I have time tomorrow to look it up at work, I will.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
SO true! Confusion is the BEST sales tool that MOST dealerships have!

I will tell you ANOTHER thing now that I think about it....

DO NOT TRADE YOUR CAR AT THE DEALER. The kind of car that you have is NOT a good lot mover. Take your car, clean it up REAL nice and sell it yourself. I guarantee you will get BETTER money than if you traded it in AND you will decomplicate matters immensely!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I second the Rev, and agree on Carmax if you want a local market wholesale value. Having the Carmax deal in your pocket will help too as you know that is your bottom dollar. Take a week or two and see if you can move it quickly. The $2k - $3k car market are cash buyers and the Taurus is a good safe car, so if yours is in sellable shape, price is to sell and you are set to get the deal you want.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It might also sell more quickly if the power steering wasn't leaking, but I can understand that you may not want to spend the extra money to get that fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts