Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious why Ford didn't make the intercooler visibly prominent to the front of the car, like the EVO's and SRT Neon's....IMO it would add a very aggressive look to the front of the car, maybe just not painting it black would help.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Wait, are you confused as to why they didn't add a scoop to the hood?

Maybe because some people absolutely hate them, and the people who like them won't let the lack of one change their decision to order or not.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
First off, Jack, the IC isn't a top mount, meaning there is no need for a scoop on the hood.

Second, it is a FMIC, albeit a very low, narrow and long one. It is positioned behind the lower horizontal grill slats between the fog lights. Therefore, the license plate won't prevent airflow.

Could they have made it more prominent? Possibly. Maybe they didn't want to deal with it getting damaged. Idk, you'd have to ask the engineer/designers that put it there :p

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Wait, are you confused as to why they didn't add a scoop to the hood?
No reason for a hood scoop unless its a Top Mount. I guess they could put one there to force air into the intake system.

Yes, I know, but isn't the OP referencing the top mounted IC's of the Neon and WRX?
MS3 and WRX have a top mount. But, you are correct. He is referring to FMIC's.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Second, it is a FMIC, albeit a very low, narrow and long one. It is positioned behind the lower horizontal grill slats between the fog lights. Therefore, the license plate won't prevent airflow.

That would make sense, I didn't know it was mounted so low in the front grill!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Honestly I'm glad it's not. I'm in a professional job and don't want a boy racer car. One reason I also like the GTI and Golf R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like the idea of a blacked out intercooler. Looks cleaner and not as fast and the furious. If i upgrade the intercooler i will be spraying matte black.

I never understood why SRT and Mitsu made the intercoolers so " Bam " in your face.

Mind you i am also at a time of my life when BOV'S, Subwoofers, Intercoolers are not my cup of tea anymore.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The inter cooler on the Neon is behind the lower grill, yes you can see it behind the grill but it is hardly prominent. They typically leave them natural aluminum to maximize the efficiency.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The inter cooler on the Neon is behind the lower grill, yes you can see it behind the grill but it is hardly prominent. They typically leave them natural aluminum to maximize the efficiency.
And to stand out like the 1 white guy at a rap festival.

·
Registered
354 Posts
As I said before you can see it but by no means does it stand out like a white guy at a rap festival.

Folks have been known to remove the grill inserts and change the front facia which makes it more prominent and they will do the same with the ST.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Top mount intercooler, we need to cool the air, lets mount
the intercooler on top of the baking hot engine and then
add an aerodynamically inefficient scoop. Never
got that, but as a Subaru owner it seems to work, but
I always wonder how much better it would have been as
an FMIC.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it's the boxer engine. Those sit low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the understanding that TMIC serve two functions: 1. The compressed air has less distance to travel to the intake 2. It keeps the weight off the front of the car for better weight distribution. But it is sitting on top of a very hot engine

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I had the understanding that TMIC serve two functions: 1. The compressed air has less distance to travel to the intake 2. It keeps the weight off the front of the car for better weight distribution. But it is sitting on top of a very hot engine
You beat me to number 1

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yeah, I guess that's it, I'm no engineer, seems like if it's a sealed system it can't matter too much on the distance? I've taken my intercooler off and it's light as a feather so I think I'd rather have the FMIC. I've put my hand just above my intercooler on a hot day while idling and damn is it getting hot around there. Anyway, looking forward to losing the hood scoop, I'm past my hood scoop days now, lol.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts