·
Registered
252 Posts
Read good. Drive better. Want car. :!:

Reactions: HellaFocalST

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Awesome articles. The embargo on publishing must have been lifted today. Hopefully the comparison tests start to pop up soon, although, Inside Line did note that they drove it at a Ford sponsored event.

Auto Express drove it on a back road somewhere...very nice video

·
Registered
778 Posts
It seems like this car just may be as awesome as all of us hope and expect it to be!!!

I never thought I would be so excited about owning a manual car. But after reading these few reviews, I CANNOT wait for it to be in my driveway.

The photos on the interior of the car in Autocar's article has red inserts on the seats. I wish those had been available.

I wonder how close to production the cars they were given actually are?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
They are stating the car has 247 HP.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Autocar piece gives combined mpg (in imperial gallons) of 39.2, which converts to 32.6 U.S. That would be the icing on the cake for me if we got #s like that (when driving with some restraint, I know).

·
Registered
778 Posts
AutoExpress has the following info:

0-62mph: 6.5 seconds
Top speed: 154mph
Economy: 39.2mpg
So the MPG for us in NA would roughly be 32 mpgish?

And Autocar's gave the 0-60 time of 6.2

Edit: Ron, you beat me to it! :)

·
Registered
742 Posts
Did anyone else catch this at the bottom of the Autocar review???
Autocar said:
Ford Focus ST 5dr

Price: £21,995;
0-60mph: 6.2sec;
Top speed: 154mph;
Economy: 39.2mpg (combined);
CO2: 169g/km;
Kerb weight: 1362kg;
Engine: 4 cyls in line, 2000cc, turbo, petrol;
Installation: Front, transverse, front-wheel drive;
Power: 247bhp at 5000rpm;
Torque: 250lb ft at 1750rpm;
Power to weight: 181bhp per tonne;
Specific output: 124bhp per litre;
Gearbox: 6-spd manual
These number have been around a while, but geez... 39.2mpg combined?!?!!! That's just wacky!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
The Autocar piece gives combined mpg (in imperial gallons) of 39.2, which converts to 32.6 U.S. That would be the icing on the cake for me if we got #s like that (when driving with some restraint, I know).
Like that is going to happen...

Reactions: Ron

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
They say 247 hp in the articles. I can't help but wonder if these articles were written a while ago, and not updated, or if there will be slightly different HP ratings for different regions.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
"But where the ST really gets different to the Golf, and the previous Focus ST, and the Focus RS and, well, just about any fast Ford before it, is that Ford really has ramped-up the steering response. It feels night-and-day different to the previous Focus ST, or Golf GTI. It's a quick rack, wanting only 1.8 turns from lock-to-lock, and as soon as you wind it away from its the straight ahead (to which it's highly willing to self centre), it weights up and quickens up very smartly.

The steering ratio increases the further you go from centre, so it quickens more once lock is applied, and that makes it feel terrifically agile. Chuck the ST into a corner and it very rapidly tucks in feeling, in its way, a bit like a Renaultsport Clio 200; which is not a bad benchmark. Feel? There is some, but it's subtle. Torque steer? The tiniest of tugs here and there; just enough to remind you the ST has 247bhp. It's an intuitive, albeit not totally natural feeling system."

I dont see anything all that alarming about the steering in this article....

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
He's referring to electronic assist vs hydraulic. There's less road feel.

And anyone else notice the video review mention an early summer release? Doubtful, but backs my theory that these reviews were done a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Am I the only one who noticed that the inside line article said that the ST would be out this summer?:) I pray that they are right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts