Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked into this? I went on my insurance's website, and they quoted me replacing my mustang gt with a '12 regular focus and my premium went up $100! Really!?!? Can't imagine what the ST will cost me!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Mustang parts are cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Has anyone checked into this? I went on my insurance's website, and they quoted me replacing my mustang gt with a '12 regular focus and my premium went up $100! Really!?!? Can't imagine what the ST will cost me!
I just checked it out 2... Here is the breakdown based on my flawless record. I am 27 years old and considered a 9 star driver.

current car: 02 SVT FOCUS Liability:27/Collision:27/Comprehensive:21 these are the rate groups the car falls in. Higher is worse. $1237 annually

weekend warrior: 03 Cobra Liability:36/Collision:37/Comprehensive:24 $1850 annually

2012 Focus Titanium Liability:33/Collision:34/Comprehensive:23 $1512 annually

I imagine the :ST: will fall in nicely between my Cobra and a Titanium.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
This is when it's good to be an old fart...

·
Registered
440 Posts
6 months. I just think its odd my 320hp gt costs less to insure. I'm 41 too! lol
Its a game of statistics my friend. You should look at rates for Chevy Cavaliers :S

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm sure the Focus is still considered a disposable car for a teenager/first time buyer to the insurance companies. Maybe once the demographic shifts a bit to an older, more responsible crowd, it will drop.

·
Registered
241 Posts
6 months. I just think its odd my 320hp gt costs less to insure. I'm 41 too! lol

hmm. Do insurance rates change whether you owe on a car or have it completely paid for? I'm 36 and my vehicle is paid for, as will be my ST. I'm paying 1300 a year for my Forester XT for good coverage and now clean record with Progressive, although it was close to 1800 a year with a ticket with State Farm before I switched providers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I asked my insurance provider and they didn't have the ST in their system. So I told them to add the GTI (since I'm assuming it'll be around the same on paper) and my insurance only went up about $10 a month.

·
Registered
354 Posts
They certainly do rule; I pay $1800 annually for a 12 Focus, 03 PT Cruiser, 99 Dakota and a 68 Barracuda. They are all full coverage.

Member in good standing of The Olde Farts Club

·
Registered
742 Posts
I checked to get an idea and used cars like the GTI and MS3 as a reference... it's gonna be $300 more anually for me, which kinda sucks. Of couse, we carry high limits and live in Florida (very high rates of uninsured and fraud here), so I'm not terribly surprised.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
OK.. I CANNOT say where I work. But I work in the world of insurance INFORMATION:
Let me illuminate a few matters. There are factors that affect your insurance rates out side of age, driving record, an cost of vehicle.
Such as:
Demographics for your age I.E. males under the age of 30 get keelhauled on rates for EVERYTHING.
Are you in college
male or female
You have kids
Are they driving age
How many a miles a day do you drive
What county or zip code do you drive in
Have you had formal driver training
Whats your credit rating ( Yes, believe it!)
Are you Married?
Do you own or rent
Do you have a lot bad weather in your area?
D you garage the car
Is it parked at your house
Is it parked on the street
How costly are replacement parts
The ratio of the cars that are like yours versus the number of claims that they are involved in
How often is the car that you own stolen or vandalized

These are the major categories of 'adjustment factors' that affect what you are going to pay for your insurance.
These '15 minute car insurance' companies are often a sucky deal.
Take it from me, go see your insurance agent face to face and sit down with them and go over the 'Personal Auto Policy' ' line of business' in your policy with a fine toothed comb. Tell them EXACTLY what you are about and tell them that you WANT ( and you REALLY do) a long term relationship with them but you REALLY need to get the best deal that you can. ASK ABOUT ANY DISCOUNTS.
When your policy comes up for renewal find out if there is a renewal discount or a new policy discount and take advantage of it.

Also there is a nifty little form, in the event of a crash, called a Diminished Value Statement.. but later on that... OR you guys think I ought to make a whole separate thread for all this insurance jazz?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I vote separate thread!

I was gonna start one asking what exactly people are paying for insurance now that the ST's are hitting the street. There's lots of speculation in the other "insurance" threads but no hard numbers as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I experienced the same thing. I'm not complaining about my insurance premium being high due to whatever factors exist about me and the car, BUT... with everything else being equal (I even lowered my daily commuting miles when switching), when I switched my plan from my '08 M3 coupe, my premium went up! It didn't go up much, but I was shocked to see it hadn't gone down dramatically. Lower costs is one of the main reasons I bought this car. The only thing I can think of is that it's a new car vs. old, but still I struggle to wrap my head around this.

·
Registered
134 Posts
And actually a new trend for many insurances ( car, life, etc ) is actually to pull your credit and assess your credit-worthiness. Now you're thinking "why does my credit have anything to do with anything". Well statistical actuaries will tell you that people with typically better credit have 1) fewer accidents 2) fewer total losses 3) take better care of themselves 4) are less likely to drive dangerously

Those are just a few.

I'm not saying that I agree with those assessments, or the fact that they should even be able to pull your credit - Just stating the facts. The statisticians actually look at hundreds of variables in determining these things - to minimize their losses and maximize their profits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
$99/month, male,26, clean driving record in CT. One of the first ST's out, I think maybe they didn't know it was a turbo. Not my problem to tell them this!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts