·
Registered
100 Posts
Now I sure its faked but that would be awesome

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've used that pic before too. The tach is different than what the actual cars have.
I also just noticed that the display has PRNDS... It's from a car with an Automatic.
I'm pretty sure most of the pictures on Fords website are old, photoshopped, and/or auto-generated.

I don't think we can put much stock in this picture.
Though, I wouldn't be too surprised if highway mileage is really close to that though!

·
Registered
354 Posts
FWIW, my turbo PT Cruiser gets better hiway mileage than my brother NA PT.

Can't see why the ST won't be rated at least 35 on the hiway.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's possible that we'll see has high as 35.
The Edge gets 30mpg with the same engine and the ST is much lighter and more aerodynamic.

However, the gearing is such that at 70MPH, the engine is spinning at about 2,570 RPM. (80mph/3000RPM)
I have a feeling the Edge is spinning far fewer RPM. (Can't find it's gear ratios though)
I really think the ST will be rated at 32-34MPG. We may be able to do better though.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'll take 32-34 all day long. My Titanium is getting 28 average in daily driving. Its rated at 37 on highway, but I've never seen higher than 33 due to the 18 inch wheels/tires.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
My Titanium gets 28-29 combined driving which is comprised of mostly stop and go city driving and a single stretch of highway with speeds between 70-65.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I do...

http://fordstnation.com/top-stories/321-2013-escape-gets-30mpg-2-0-ecoboost-i-4-a.html

35 is a stretch. If it does happen to be 35 MPG, then you can say I told you so :p

I was expecting better with the Escape 2.0 Ecoboost numbers.
That is a torque convertor automatic, box of a tall suv.

Not the same.

As mentioned, the, big by comparison to the escape, Edge does nearly 30 highway.

The only thing holding this car back from a proper highway rating is a short 6th gear, which it does not have, and hooning.

Mid-high 30s will be cake.

- Drew

·
Registered
354 Posts
Shomare said:
My Titanium gets 28-29 combined driving which is comprised of mostly stop and go city driving and a single stretch of highway with speeds between 70-65.
Our 13 SEL has never averaged below 30 on a tank in around town suburban driving. We have just shy of 13k miles on it and for the most part it averages 33.5-34.5. Trip 2 hasn't been reset in 3k miles and it is showing 33.2. The display is consistently .8-1 mpg low so that is just over 34 average. In daily driving we do not try to maximize the mileage, the car sees regular runs to redline through the gears and in no way is it babied.

My wife was away a couple of weeks ago so I drove the Focus a couple of days to work. On a 50 mile round trip on back roads at 45-50 mph I got 41.5 trying to maximize the mileage. The next day driving normally it was a little over 38 mpg.

The car is pretty consistent turning in 38-39 average on a tank of steady 65-70 hiway driving.

For me the reason the ST has an edge over the Dart SRT-4 is the promise of great gas mileage, I hope it delivers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For me the reason the ST has an edge over the Dart SRT-4 is the promise of great gas mileage, I hope it delivers.
We don't have a single promise, don't count your chickens yet. The ST will have a completely different tune than the Edge. Also, as others have pointed out, the 18" wheels kill the gas mileage and the ST is getting the same spec wheel and tire combo.

The ST will probably be better on gas than other options in the performance hatch market, but the notion of "great" fuel economy needs to be put to rest - you will just be disappointed if you keep this notion afloat. My money is on 32 EPA highway 21 EPA city, I'm thinking my commute would net 29mpg on 93 with the ST, right now with a Ti I can get 32mpg.

·
Registered
549 Posts
With the new Escape weighing 3500lbs and the Edge weighing roughly 4000lbs, the EcoBoost 4 in both of them (same 270ft lbs torque) are rated 30hwy. I honestly don't understand that at all, 500lbs is very heavy difference. Trolling around the Edge forums, you will find nobody is getting 30mpg highway, which is not much of a surprise.
As such I keep lowering my expectations for the ST. At this point, I will be happy if I can squeeze 32mpg highway out of it. At one time I dreamed of 35mpg but I'm highly doubting that now.

·
Registered
353 Posts
500 lbs has a lot less affect on mileage then you think it does. I took a trip once with me and three other guys plus the trunk loaded with our gear and didn't really see much decline in mileage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
VS the Edge/Escape, the ST's smaller shape and resulting reduced drag coefficient due to that shape will have a much larger effect on highway mileage than the reduced tire rolling resistance resulting from decreased weight would have. Once a mass is moving, it doesn't take much more energy to maintain a heavier moving mass than a lighter mass. But it will take a heck of a lot more energy to push a larger object through the air than a smaller object. A larger tire's rolling and air resistance does come into play, and better mileage will likely be seen with a more "bicycle-sized" :D wheel.

Congested city driving can yield the opposite effect however. Drag differences between vehicles don't really come into play much, what matters more is the acceleration of vehicle mass to speed and then converting that kinetic energy to brake heat at the next stop again and again. The less you have to accelerate, the better the mileage will be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It is rare that a car will consistently get its advertised fuel mileage. Fuel mileage calculations are done under IDEAL conditions. and ,as we all know, conditions are rarely... ideal
Actually the EPA changed that, back in 2006 I believe. Nothing is calculated, its all based off a real world test of the vehicle. I think parts of the test even involve public roads. They weigh the car before and after to determine the exact fuel usage and over hundreds of test runs they then go into a dark room and publish their EPA estimates for a car. With the Focus Ti, they never tested with the fat tires of the handling package and thus the consistently underwhelming fuel economy of them. Over at focusfanatics their is a fuelly thread where the average handling package owner has about a 31mpg average where the going average for non-Ti handling package owner is 35. I actually had to run a full sized spare for a week and just as you would expect I got 1mpg better fuel economy over 2 tanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
VS the Edge/Escape, the ST's smaller shape and resulting reduced drag coefficient due to that shape will have a much larger effect on highway mileage than the reduced tire rolling resistance resulting from decreased weight would have. Once a mass is moving, it doesn't take much more energy to maintain a heavier moving mass than a lighter mass. But it will take a heck of a lot more energy to push a larger object through the air than a smaller object. A larger tire's rolling and air resistance does come into play, and better mileage will likely be seen with a more "bicycle-sized" :D wheel.

Congested city driving can yield the opposite effect however. Drag differences between vehicles don't really come into play much, what matters more is the acceleration of vehicle mass to speed and then converting that kinetic energy to brake heat at the next stop again and again. The less you have to accelerate, the better the mileage will be.
Without going into too much muttering, the main thing here is that the focus already has a very good aerodynamic design. It closes most of the profile surfaces to cut drag, and it's shape is actually one of the closer designs to the theoretical perfect "tear-drop" shape (I know its the Sears-Haack in a 3-D space, but when you need to poop 4 wheels out somewhere the best thing science has come up with as far as efficiency is the tear drop). So when we take this into consideration, the next big thing becomes the rolling resistance (internal resistance is constant here) and that is where time and time again the real-world results have shown us that it is these damn-sexy 18s that do it in for.

·
Registered
222 Posts
fwiw, if I dog it, I can easily get 40mpg w/ my ti w/ handling. However; I tend to like to have fun from time to time.
I have busted out 36.7mpg once going 64mph the whole way back from the dealership (35 miles), the trip computer needs almost 100 miles after a reset to get you close to actual (calculated) mileage, but on average it is almost 15% off. If your going off your trip computer, I'm sorry but thats like reading palms to tell the weather, if you calculated it then I applaud your hypermileing.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts