Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can answer this basic question for me: how should I connect my iPhone to MFT?

I know you can either connect via bluetooth or the dock connector, but I also know that they work different. So if you're connected via BT you get handsfree calling but lose cover art when streaming music. When connected via the dock connector you get the cover art, but can you still make calls? I've read somewhere that connecting via the dock doesn't activate the MFT mic.

Bottom line is I want to be able to receive and place calls using MFT but also stream music via the most reliable connection (which seems to be the dock).

Also, streaming music via BT was working last week but the past two days hasn't worked at all. It sees my iPhone but when I try to play anything via BT it does nothing. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Good question.

When on short trips, I use bluetooth, only. On longer trips, I plug into the USB.

You can still make calls while connected via USB, plus as you noted, you have more features you can control and see while using USB.

There are glitches with the system. Sometimes it doesn't sync, most times it does. I don't know why bluetooth behaves this way.

I have a theory that if there is any app up and running on the iphone, it gets in the way of the sync. Best to just have the home screen active, no apps running as it just works better that way.

Though trial and error I noticed that if I was reading email just before getting in my car and forgot to close the app, it would not sync. Closing mail, shut off car and restart would do the trick.

This is my fourth car with sync and it has always behaved this way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Historically, the iPhones / iOS had issues with multitasking, though I thought they took care of that with the 3GS / iOS 4. But maybe not. Worth the experiment to see if it helps.

My phone's Android, so i'll no doubt have a whole different set of quirks to investigate. It's worth keeping in mind that not all MFT / phone compatibility problems are necessarily Ford's fault. The phones have their own complicated and quirky software, too.

Of course, "my iPhone doesn't work with Ford Sync" may sound like a bigger problem to Ford than "my iPhone doesn't work with Ford Sync" does to Apple. Complaining to Ford might still be more likely to get something changed than complaining to Apple, who might not think they have anything to gain.

·
4,009 Posts
Usually, Apple updates address compatibility with Sync issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Along these same lines, when the iPhone is plugged in to MFT through USB, is there any way to select music and stuff on the actual device instead of going through MFT? I've just been unplugging and selecting songs and then plugging back in.

·
4,009 Posts
No. Once plugged in you can't access the controls of the ipod / iphone.

Use voice commands to select play lists, artist, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. Once plugged in you can't access the controls of the ipod / iphone.

Use voice commands to select play lists, artist, etc.
So if it's plugged in will the phone work properly? Will it utilize the MFT mic for calls?

Today I got the BT music streaming, stopped the car, went to the store and came back and as soon as I started the car up, music started blasting from my iPhone but it wouldn't stream to the MFT. Goofy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So if it's plugged in will the phone work properly? Will it utilize the MFT mic for calls?

Today I got the BT music streaming, stopped the car, went to the store and came back and as soon as I started the car up, music started blasting from my iPhone but it wouldn't stream to the MFT. Goofy.
Plugged in, my phone works fine using the MFT mic/speakers. Having said that, I'm not sure if it's utilizing the BT connection or the USB connection when the call is active. (I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1)

I also get some of the funkiness as it relates to playing music. Sometimes, everything looks like it's playing via the USB - the MFT display shows the track advancing . . . yet, no sound is playing. Disconnect and Reconnect the USB cable and it starts to work again. I like the suggestion to make sure you're on the home screen when you get into the car. I doubt I'll remember though :))

·
4,009 Posts
Plugged in, my phone works fine using the MFT mic/speakers. Having said that, I'm not sure if it's utilizing the BT connection or the USB connection when the call is active. (I have an iPhone 4S on iOS 5.1.1)

I also get some of the funkiness as it relates to playing music. Sometimes, everything looks like it's playing via the USB - the MFT display shows the track advancing . . . yet, no sound is playing. Disconnect and Reconnect the USB cable and it starts to work again. I like the suggestion to make sure you're on the home screen when you get into the car. I doubt I'll remember though :))
Yup unplug and re plug is the fix. Don't know why it happens but this fix usually does it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yup unplug and re plug is the fix. Don't know why it happens but this fix usually does it.
I don't think that is only a MFT issue. I have a Pioneer Avic-F90 nav headunit in my Mustang connected via USB to my 5-year old iPod Classic and BT to my iPhone. Occasionally the iPod stops working and I have to unplug and plug it back in...maybe this happens 1 out of every 50 times I start the car. Very rarely, I also have to reboot the iPod because it freezes - a hard reset is necessary to get it working again. I never have problems the phone pairing via BT however.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts