Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am an old guy currently driving a '95 Miata for fun and a '11 Element for utility. I lust for an ST so I can enjoy driving year round again. Storing the fun-mobile for the MN winter means I'm road bored half the year. Now if only Ford knows their market well enough to offer the 2013 ST with a dual clutch automatic in the USA. We ain't Europe! They mostly prefer a stick. We are the opposite. With modern automatics shifting faster and getting better mileage than the manuals, personal preference is the only reason to drive a stick. And no, I don't hate 'em. My Miata is a joy to run through the gears.

So wise up Ford and don't do what so many others have done in the past. Namely get the buyers excited with the hype and let them down with a de-tuned, stick only US release. Remember the anemic Fiero? Make it right the first time. Fixing the deficiencies 2-3 years down the road will not bring back the customer who test drove the initial model and was disappointed.

I'm hoping.

Phil

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Hi Phil,

Yes you are user 105. :) Welcome to Ford ST Nation. I will strive to provide the best UP TO DATE information on the Focus ST and Fiesta ST Concept.

Man, I am with you, I don't know how to drive a stick per say (I can drive manual on my G25 with Gran Turismo 5 game). But I will learn for this car! Another comment is a lot of people would like to see the Focus ST Wagon offered here in the states.

I would also like to see the Fiesta ST offered here. I currently drive one, the slow fuel efficient one. :)

Welcome again and I hope to see you around.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chad. My dad had one of the first original Fiestas - I think it was 1978. That was the first really fun small car I drove. You could chirp the tires going into third gear. Dad always had a small car with manual and a big boat with auto. Made all four of my sisters learn to manually shift too. I have a feeling that a bunch of hot performing, relatively economical small cars will be hitting the showroom in the next few years. If Ford doesn't get this one right someone else will snap up their customers. I prefer to reward Ford as they didn't go begging to the feds like GM and Chrysler.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I prefer to reward Ford as they didn't go begging to the feds like GM and Chrysler.
My exact thoughts. I really want a home run for Ford. But you are right, they must get this right. I think a Focus ST and Fiesta ST is going down the right path.

As for as small cars, Ford just started producing a 1.0L ecoboost engine for their Fiesta in Europe. So we will see. There is also the Ford Ka that they could bring here.

Oh well.. Time to start learning how to drive stick..!

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I too would like an auto available with the st. I'd much rather have paddle shifters than a clutch pedal. My current daily driver is an 04 Svt Focus. It's fun to drive, but sometimes I get tired of shifting when driving in the city.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello ST fans, I've just joined this forum and this is my first post.

My interest in the ST Focus is BECAUSE of the manual 6-speed. The last auto tranny I've owned was my '72 T-bird. Since then I've only owned German sticks, and I will not buy a car without a clutch. I find them so much more fun to drive. I've looked at the standard Focus hatch, yet all the dealers here in Arizona are mostly only stocking the automatic. So I'm awaiting with anticipation the showdown tests comparing the Focus ST, GTI, and the Mazda 3 speed.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I too would like an auto available with the st. I'd much rather have paddle shifters than a clutch pedal. My current daily driver is an 04 Svt Focus. It's fun to drive, but sometimes I get tired of shifting when driving in the city.
Welcome to the forums. Do you think we could have a after market retrofit? Paddle shifters?

Hello ST fans, I've just joined this forum and this is my first post.

My interest in the ST Focus is BECAUSE of the manual 6-speed. The last auto tranny I've owned was my '72 T-bird. Since then I've only owned German sticks, and I will not buy a car without a clutch. I find them so much more fun to drive. I've looked at the standard Focus hatch, yet all the dealers here in Arizona are mostly only stocking the automatic. So I'm awaiting with anticipation the showdown tests comparing the Focus ST, GTI, and the Mazda 3 speed.
Hello there, and welcome. There are many reason why I like the ST. I would also like to compare all 3 cars as well.

Did you ever think about ordering it with a 5 speed? I guess since the Focus ST is coming out, you won't need to order a regular focus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts