Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to want a Ford Focus ST as your (what has been deemed by society) "midlife crisis" car? I'm 48 years old and am looking to buy a car in the spring of '13. I am at a point in my life that I can pretty much afford any car within reason and after looking at all manufacturers I would consider and types of cars (suv, sedans etc.) the Focus ST and Mazdaspeed3 are what I keep coming back to. Anyone else in the same age demographic and situation?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I already went though a "midlife crisis" after my second divorce. With that 6 years behind me, I'm ready for something very practical, yet fun. I think the ST is a better mix of performance and practicality than any other car on the market. I ordered a performance blue ST3, and also already ordered Pro Race 1.2 wheels in high power silver from our very own vendor garage.

Unreal Perfromance Blue ST HPS PR12 copy.jpg

·
Registered
786 Posts
Me...old as fock, kids almost all out of house ( I have 6), same two cars. Ordered White, ST2, Moonroof. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not quite as old as you (36) but I have debated whether I feel that way. I think I'm a tad young for it to be a midlife crisis car but I decided about 6 months ago that I wanted either a summer car or something sporty ... just fun to drive and got better gas mileage. I can well-afford the car, infact I've already pre-spent about $500 on it with maybe another $2000 to go with a 2nd set of rims and tires and tint. Maybe even more depending on whether I upgrade the radio.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
45 here and NOT a midlife crisis ,but I am a life long car fool. In life as we age our tastes change in many things. I used to be nothing but big lead sleds and now I am very much liking smaller and better handling cars...
So.. nah.. NOT wierd..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! Too bad the station wagon is not being sold here. I'd be all over that! I would love a manual performance station wagon. Unfortunately not many people in the U.S. feel that way.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm only 28 but I think the Focus is a practical yet fun to drive vehicle, I wouldn't consider it a mid-life crisis car at all. My Mustang on the other hand, that might be my quarter-life crisis car :)

Reactions: oaxa

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, you guys make me feel better. I'm 36 and thought I would be the oldest guy on these forums. I joke that this is my midlife crisis car, but perhaps not. I really feel like I deserve something quick and have never owned anything over 160HP, so I DESERVE this. Then again, they say 30 is the new 20 and 40 is the new 30.

Talk me into buying this guys!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
45 pr at least soo. To be and it's not a crisis just a perfect do everything car that is fun and practal. I've got four kids so the back seats are a must. No, when I think midlife crisis, I think Corvette

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nah, it's perfectly reasonable. You want something sporty and fun, but still practical... so you can't go with the Z4/MX5/TT group. The ST is a decent compromise, although you may want to look at the R32/GTI as well if you keep finding yourself falling back to hot hatches.

I've already been through a couple of cars now once I started having money of my own, after dealing with crap while I was in high school and college. At 23 I had a new 328xi, and 2 years ago I got my current Infiniti. I've been considering the ST (obviously need to test drive it), but also on the list are waiting for the next GTI and Audi A3 (and WRX if by some miracle Subaru figures out how to make a decent interior). Unfortunately the cars I really want (Audi A5/S5 and new 3 series) are more than I want to spend, so I'm trying to be a bit more practical.

·
Registered
2 Posts
41 here and if I can get one of these I don't care what you call it! Anything would beat looking at pictures and wishing and wanting and waiting and......lol! I know, like preaching to the choir!

·
Registered
549 Posts
43 here, definitely mid-life crisis. I can feel it, like something nipping at my heels saying, "It's half over buddy, better try to have some fun, so don't buy that Toyota Matrix."
The thought of turning into a highway onramp and stomping the pedal with 160hp basically going nowhere fast makes me cringe. If I could afford/justify a porsche I'd probably go that route, but family comes first, so a 4-door hatch with some fun and decent enough mileage is a mid-life crisis compromise I can live with.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
LOL not weird at all
The SVT was my midlife crisis car and that was 10 years ago
It just shows you got more grip on your life than a 'vette guy.
After all you still have trunk space and 2 extra doors
And so far I'm the oldest guy posting on this thread.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not a midlife crisis, Tom. I'm 10 years younger, but I wouldn't consider the ST in any way a 'midlife' car. I am sort of in the same boat. I can't afford ANY car I'd want, but am easily comfortable spending up to $45-50K if I really wanted to. I am selling 2 of our cars to make room for the ST. My fiance and I will still have an Escape after the other 2 go, so I didn't have to go with a 5 door for funtionality purposes. I just really always wanted a hatch and the only ones I considered before the ST were the STi and the MS3. Once I saw the ST concept I was hooked. I can't get over the smiley face of the MS3 front fascia and the current model has been out for years. The STi is really nice, but just didn't feel it was worth the extra $6-8K I am spending for my ST3. I was thinking of a 370Z since my cousin is a powertrain engineer for Nissan and I could get the equivalent of A-plan pricing, but 2 seats really don't make sense for me right now.

Now just get my ST3 into production already!!! :S

·
Registered
685 Posts
54 years, and my wife says I seamlessly went from extended adolescence to midlife crisis. Then again, we don't have kids, so there was never that period of extreme pragmatism you get when you're a parent.

But the ST isn't really a midlife crisis car anyway. Too practical. Midlife crisis cars are Porsches, Nissan 370zs, Corvettes, and Mazda MX5s and BRZs at the low price end. 2 seats, or two usable seats. They communicate "Hey, I'm available, wanna ride?" And they're not good for anything but driving. They can't buy any stretch of the imagination, become a family car.

The ST can. Sure you can get sports car driving pleasure out of it, but you can also fit four or five people in them in reasonable comfort, or you can fill it with crap from Home Depot. It's a practical econo car on a light steroid program. It's something you can have fun with, but it's a private kind of fun.

If you want to impress people with the sports aspect of an ST, you have to explain it to them. A Porsche or 370Z requires no explanation.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 59 and would say I am still in adolescence.

I started racing motorcycles off roads when I was in my teens had a savage accident when I was 27 got back on an blew out a knee. Got back on and would limp until Thursday, feel great by Saturday and do it all over again on Sunday. After a couple of months I figured out I wasn't having fun any more and switched to crotch rockets and turbo 4cyl cars for my fun.

I got run down from behind on my bike in 95 and broke T12 in my back. At that point my wife said no more motorcycles so I switched to muscle cars and have had a muscle car for fun and turbo 4cyl Mopars as daily drivers since 85.

The ST is just an up to date version of what I have been driving for 27 years.

·
Registered
189 Posts
No midlife crisis here.. I love to drive! What is the reasoning that once you hit mid 30s buick or something else that handles and drives like a microwave oven. People who feel that way will never get it. These hatchbacks are fun to drive,handle well,nimble,quick not fast and you can carry people or gear! Its the only segment that covers it all. I had a 03svt focus and even though it was way underpowered that little car won me over! I would drive around just to drive around. Speed3 the samething.

·
Registered
89 Posts
64 years young and going with an ST2 TS! I've had some incredible rides over the years and I refuse to grow up! I usually mod the hell outta them, but may just leave the ST stock given it's a fwd, which I said I'd never own again.....never say never. I have two other modded vehicles and the ST looks to be just fine as is for what I'll use it for....a DD.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts