Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think this is the first non-beaming ST review I've come across... It's a shame because I really respect Jalopnik quite a bit.

Ford Focus ST: The Jalopnik Review
Their scoring system is still weird for me. Plus they did their math wrong...should be a 70.

If you ignore the numbers, the content says good car:

"it's just a really good car. And certainly way better than I expected from a four-door, front-wheel drive hatch"

"you get a pretty amazing car for $25k"

·
Registered
373 Posts
Actually this is how reviews SHOULD be written. Honest. Well written. Direct. He doesn't sugar coat everything and wax on with pathetic metaphors. He just says what he thinks of the different aspects of the car and rates accordingly. Overall, it was actually quite a glowing review. You can't get much better than "This is the only front wheel drive car I would purchase today" and "the only thing better than this and more practical than a RWD sports coupe is much more expensive luxury cars". You honestly can't get much better than that.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
LOL, they mentioned the hood gap!

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I guess I didn't read into it too much... I'm still getting used to their new system. Apparently it's compared with every car on the market, not just in its class. So, in the respect it did pretty well... However, it was only 5 points ahead of the Veloster Turbo...

·
Registered
685 Posts
Jalopnik is one of the reviews I've been waiting for. They. Do. Not. Like. FWD. At. All.

Read their reviews and the run up to the release of the BRZ/FRS. So for one of their regular writers to say this:
The handling is unbelievable. I drove the car harder and harder and never really got close to the car's limit. Sure, I hammered some roundabouts and jumped a curb or two putting a wheel in the air while I was at full throttle but that's sort of cheating...

...As much as it's not cool to like driver aids these days, I really enjoyed it. It felt natural.
...is an endorsement of the highest level they can give a FWD car.

They give the car almost the same rating as the BRZ, which is almost impossible to believe given Jalopnik's prejudices against FWD.

I notice Jalopnik took the audio ranking down from 7 to 6, rather than fix their math and give it the 70/100 it would have originally had if they had done their math right.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's your beef with Gawker? Besides their horrible website layouts and intrusive advertising...

·
Registered
908 Posts
What's your beef with Gawker? Besides their horrible website layouts and intrusive advertising...
Well:
The new Layout is one of the worst layouts I have ever seen (and a car website without any galleries, and only small photos, really?)
The don't really like any of their writers for any of the blogs that I have read (low quality)
The ads are incredibly annoying
Their handling of the iPhone story was absolutely terrible
and some other random personal reason.

But lets not get into that :p

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't see a problem with the review, lots of positives. I like where he says "...The only thing you need to know here is the ST has the best car seats I've ever sat in..."
Now that sounds pretty impressive, I put on a lot of miles and that is good to hear. I'm sure that guy has sat in a lot more car seats than I ever have.

·
Registered
778 Posts
It sounded like a great review to me. He stated he woulduse his own money to buy the ST...how much better than that is there?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Good review. I like honest opinions and not just repeated PR. Sounds to me like he was kinda jaded at onset of drive but actually learned to like the features.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok... I'll be honest, I didn't read it before posting the review here :thumbd: All I saw was the 68 and just assumed it was a D+... but then I remembered about the new rating system and it was actually pretty positive...

·
Registered
132 Posts
It seemed to me that they wanted to rank it higher but didn't want to risk appearing too enthusiastic. Nearly every category has glowing descriptions that aren't really reflected as such in the numerical rankings.

·
Registered
869 Posts
A couple of things of note on this review:

1. I found it to be *extremely* positive. The score is relative to other cars that would vomit out the ST and flush it without thinking about it (the MP4-12C has already been reviewed as a case in point).

2. Bill Caswell sucks at writing. But he knows what he's talking about.

3. Google Bill Caswell. If you re-read the review after reading about him, I suspect it'll be epiphinous given the extent of time he's spent behind the wheel of racecars, even if not the "fancy" type. A 9/10 on handling is HIGH praise, and honestly, why I chose the ST over two other vehicles.

·
Registered
685 Posts
A couple of things of note on this review:
3. Google Bill Caswell. If you re-read the review after reading about him, I suspect it'll be epiphinous given the extent of time he's spent behind the wheel of racecars, even if not the "fancy" type. A 9/10 on handling is HIGH praise, and honestly, why I chose the ST over two other vehicles.
He only gave it 8/10 on handling. Which is still pretty good as you'd expect it would take a supercar to get 10/10. Or a Lotus. Probably loses a point for not really being able to do a proper rear wheel drift over the BRZ.

Kind of dumb that Jalopnik ranks audio and toys equal to power, handling and braking.

It is a good review in that it lets you pick the stuff that's important to you (but no ranking on "practical").

Oh, and the Jalopnik peeps say the system is biased at 5/10, meaning that 5 is average, 6 above average. An average car would get 50/100.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I definitely think this was a very honest and unbiased review. If the ST can make a rear wheel drive sports car lover seriously consider a front-wheel drive hot hatch then it must be pretty good.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The numbering system isn't like grades. 50 is average, 69 is actually very good.
Yes, 69 is very good ;)
But anyway, the system IS flawed. After all, they don't take usability into account. Cargo space. It's what allows the BRZ to get a higher score, despite the fact that it's really only good to use for two people.
They also had someone review it who doesn't like hot hatches all that much.

Still, it was a good review, and it does seem to be quite positive.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts