Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is an Oil Catch Can Kit so important? Because the 2.0L Ecoboost Motor found in the Focus ST is a Direct Injection Motor. In a nutshell, Direct Injection is when the fuel injector nozzles are located in each cylinder versus being located in the intake manifold, like most multi-port injected motors or throttle body injected motors. When the injectors are located in the intake manifold the fuel being sprayed passes over the intake valves cleaning them as the fuel enters the combustion chamber.

With Direct Injection, there is no fuel entering the system before the intake valves. Over time, the intakes valves will develop a crust that causes the loss of compression and a reduction of air smoothly entering each cylinder. This crust will eventually lead to reduced engine performance and costly repairs should they need to be cleaned.

The cause of the crust that forms on the intakes valves is from the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) System. While the engine is running, the internal rotating components get very hot, they splash around in oil and pressure is built up in the lower half of the motor that needs to be relieved. That air pressure contains trace amounts of finally atomized oil that’s got to go somewhere. Since we can’t allow it to just drip out on the ground, it’s routed back into the intake manifold to be burned off and while doing so, some of that oil adheres to the intake valves.

That’s where we can help. Available now, the JBR Oil Catch Can Kit has been specifically designed for the Focus ST. It’s placed in between the crankcase and the intake manifold to capture that hot oil vapor and contain it before it enters the intake manifold.

During the R & D process, when the throttle body was removed, we found an astonishing amount of oil on the walls of the intake manifold. And, when the throttle body was allowed to sit overnight we found that the invisible film of oil on it, had collected on the lower corner.

At the completion of testing our JBR Oil Catch Can Kit captured 2.4oz. of oil in just over 1180 miles. Now, we drive our shop car very hard, so individual results may vary but, there is no doubt in my mind that an Oil Catch Can Kit should be present on every turbo charged, direct injection motor.

Our kits come complete with everything you need to install it, nothing more to buy, no running to the hardware store for parts to finish the job. Also included, are full color installation instructions walking you through every step, start to finish.

Visit us at jamesbaroneracing.com and Like us on Facebook to keep up with News and Events at JBR.

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The check valve is highly recommended for turbo charged cars, details can be found on the stage 2 product page. It's not nearly as important on NA motors. Install location is in front of the drivers side wheel well.

There's not too much to see and due to other items in development an entire engine bay shot is not going to happen at this time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks a lot Jamie for making my wallet another $215 lighter! :LOL:

I just ordered up the Stage II kit.

Parts are already piling up for the car and I won't even have it until Friday!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you please post here or link to the full color installation instructions walking you through every step, start to finish.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oh man.....my wife is going to kill me.....
My thoughts exactly! But this is a "good investment" and will "extend the life of the engine." I plan to keep saying those things over and over when interrogated.

Reactions: KEVOP

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
During the R & D process, when the throttle body was removed, we found an astonishing amount of oil on the walls of the intake manifold. And, when the throttle body was allowed to sit overnight we found that the invisible film of oil on it, had collected on the lower corner.

Should the intake manifold and throttle body be cleaned when we install the kit?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should the intake manifold and throttle body be cleaned when we install the kit?
All I would do if you find the kind of oil residue we did, is use a clean lint free cloth and get what you can get. I wouldn't worry about it. Further preventing it is the key here.

·
Registered
284 Posts
3-4 hours.
Wow! Longer than I expected, but I've never installed an OCC before, so I have no prior experience to go on. I guess between this and my new motor mount, I'll be spending some quality time under the car as soon as I get my hands on it.

And to think, one of my justifications for buying this car and selling the SHO was so I didn't have to always be working on it. Oh well, at least these are all upgrades and not maintenance/repairs! :LOL:

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a complete novice when it comes to car maintenance. Sounds like this is one upgrade that may have to wait for me (due to fear of me messing something up).

Nice to see you guys releasing stuff so rapidly for the ST. At least I have an idea on what I should get if I'm feeling brave.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My thoughts exactly! But this is a "good investment" and will "extend the life of the engine." I plan to keep saying those things over and over when interrogated.
This......shall be copied and applied to my signature!!! LMMFAO

1 - 20 of 54 Posts