Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the belly pan off the car tonight while doing some other work under there, so I decided to drain my oil catch can to see what was in there after only about 600 miles since it was installed:

Needless to say I was a little bit surprised at the quantity that came out! I'm now very happy I made the investment in JBR's oil catch can and suffered through the nightmare of installing it. :LOL:

That's a 4 ounce glass, so I figure I drained out about a 1/2 ounce of nasty crud that would have otherwise been reintroduced to the motor through the intake; no thank you!

Thanks for being the first to market with this Jamie! Our cars definitely need it!

·
Registered
160 Posts
just how critical is the oil catch can?? im not going to super mod my car, just cat back exhaust, an ecu tune and a rear motor mount. is it something i need to worry about? i know ford in its infinite wisdom has done some silly stuff in the past, i just tend to think that what ever does go back through would be insignificant. That could just be me and my infinite wisdom thinking though...

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
just how critical is the oil catch can?? im not going to super mod my car, just cat back exhaust, an ecu tune and a rear motor mount. is it something i need to worry about? i know ford in its infinite wisdom has done some silly stuff in the past, i just tend to think that what ever does go back through would be insignificant. That could just be me and my infinite wisdom thinking though...
According to the people who have it installed, it's a PITA to do.
That said, I'll be putting one in ASAP.
I think in 30-40K miles if you don't have one you'll be noticing the performance drop
and at some point will need to clean your intake valves.

EDIT: see next post if you need some more convincing.:LOL:

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I had the belly pan off the car tonight while doing some other work under there, so I decided to drain my oil catch can to see what was in there after only about 600 miles since it was installed:

Needless to say I was a little bit surprised at the quantity that came out! I'm now very happy I made the investment in JBR's oil catch can and suffered through the nightmare of installing it. :LOL:

That's a 4 ounce glass, so I figure I drained out about a 1/2 ounce of nasty crud that would have otherwise been reintroduced to the motor through the intake; no thank you!

Thanks for being the first to market with this Jamie! Our cars definitely need it!
;) Holy Smokes ....in 600 miles!

·
Registered
160 Posts
ill be glad when i can start spending money to make my ST faster and sound better than making it right.... ::le sigh::

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't plan to mod mine at all, but I did install this. Every car needs one, especially cars with high cylinder pressure.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I don't plan to mod mine at all, but I did install this. Every car needs one, especially cars with high cylinder pressure.
I wasn't planning on modding mine either...I've already got close $2k of them on my list. :confused:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm A Believer

Did my 1st oil change (w/Royal Purple 5/30) at 1k and installed the JBR Oil Catch Can Stage 2 Kit during the process, too. Just turned 5k and did the 2nd oil change (again w/Royal Purple 5/30) and was amazed (shocked, too) at the amount (6oz) of oil residue (maybe other contaminates as well) that came out of the JBR Oil Catch Can.

To think, these 6ozs (along w/those other contaminates) would have been routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off and maybe along the way begin to adhere to the intake and the valves possibly forming a crust and over time reduce my ST’s performance along with the $$$ in my wallet for cleaning and repair.

I’ll not take that chance
;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
So, my only question is, how much of that is just water from the humidity in the air getting converted to steam and then condensing in the EGR circuit?

·
Registered
53 Posts
So what is the actual installation procedure?
I keep hearing that it's pretty ugly, but haven't seen any instructions.
Did I miss it somewhere?
Also, I found another brand of catch can that looks VERY similar to the JBR for about 1/3 the price.
What (if anything) is the advantage of the JBR over any other brand/version?

·
Registered
894 Posts
As noted earlier in the thread, JBR provides printed instructions only to customers. It is not releasing the instructions on the web.

I started the installation process last night, and decided to turn back until I had more time. The installation requires working in VERY tight spaces, and I need time to make multiple attempts, and not panic.

I have a question for the people who have done the install: How hard is it to reconnect the throttle body/IC pipe after you're done? It seems to me that will be the hardest part, to get the bolts back in. Any thoughts/advice? Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I took the pipe and throttle body off separately and put them back on separately. For me, trying to get the throttle body unbolted with the pipe still attached was impossible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Elmojo - JBR Oil Catch Can

I too, did my OCC research, and found the JBR OCC to be the better product (my opinion). Did the OCC install a few months back; hard copy install instructions are spot on, it's not difficult, but there're some tight corners when making hose connections (WD-40 recommended). Just take your time, a few breaks, and you'll be successful:thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too, did my OCC research, and found the JBR OCC to be the better product (my opinion). Did the OCC install a few months back; hard copy install instructions are spot on, it's not difficult, but there're some tight corners when making hose connections (WD-40 recommended). Just take your time, a few breaks, and you'll be successful :thumbd:
What was it about the JBR can that made you conclude that it was the superior product?
I'm looking at one from another company that is less than 1/3 the cost of the JBR, and appears to be nearly the same thing. In fact, the "cheap" one has a fluid level tube on the outside, allowing me to see how much gunk has been caught.
I don't think the JBR has that, right?

I'm not doubting that you made the right choice by purchasing from JBR, I'm just trying to make the most informed decision I can.

Thanks,
Elmojo

·
Registered
53 Posts
Elmojo - JBR OCC

In theory, all OCCs do the same thing right; either less or more efficiently. After looking at all the other OCCs, even that cheap one with that fluid view hose on the outside (JBR OCC does not have one), it was the "design" of the JBR OCC that sealed the deal for me.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
I got a chance to install my OCC today. First off, make sure you allow 3-4 hours for the install (it took me 3 hours from start to finish). Second, follow most of Jamie's instructions to the letter. I did modify his instructions slightly. 1. for the stage 2 kit you have to cut in the check valve in a step further down the line, but did it in the beginning so I wasn't having to do it inside the engine bay. Also, per Jamie's instructions, the throttle body and cold pipe has to be removed, I found it easier to turn the TB/CP a quarter turn towards the driver's side to drop it out a little easier. Lastly....HAVE PATIENCE! This install isn't easy.

Note the oil on the TB, my car has just shy of 4K on the clock and there was a noticeable amount of oil.
View attachment 4517

Here it is installed, without any of the hoses attached
View attachment 4518

All in all, the install was straight forward, just kinda tight in a few places. Instructions made everything easy and, as usual, shipping from Jamie was prompt and packed well.
Thanks for tips
I plan to block out a whole day to do this.
Will also try to get pics

·
Registered
284 Posts
OCC Contents after 4K miles

I got around to my second oil change on the ST over the weekend and thought I'd post up another pic of what came out of JBR's oil catch can that I have installed on the car. The car now has 5,000 miles on it and it's been 4,000 miles since my last oil change and draining of the OCC:

I was surprised how much fluid came out of the can. I'd estimate it was between 6 - 8 ounces. At least it didn't look as nasty as the first time I drained it when the car hit 1K. It actually looked and smelled pretty consistent to the oil that was drained out of the pan.

I'm happy to see the OCC is doing its job well and preventing this stuff from making a mess all through the intake tract!

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is a next up mod for me. Car only has 2800 miles on it, but when removing the cold side pipe this weekend I had oil dripping out of it. Rather concerning. Does Ford's PCV even seal under boost??

21 - 40 of 51 Posts