Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
!!! Where's the coaster!! That'll leave a ring... :S lol

...And I thought it was just the stock f1 rubber not likeing cold....
Haha, yeah I thought of that ... don't worry, in a pinch I used a piece of that polyfil out of the subwoofer mod to protect the finish!! j/k

Seriously, though, I think I only had it on there long enough to take the picture because I was actually worried about the mark, haha!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Glad it is working again JT. I've been leaving mine in gear after getting the weight off the tranny and setting the e-brake. No issues so far. Maybe it was a good thing that you left it in 2nd that time...can you imagine pulling out of your driveway in first and then reaching for second and finding yourself stuck in first? Not good if you live on a busy road with flowing traffic.
Thanks man. Fortunately, I always park it so I have to back out of the driveway ... which also meant unfortunately I could't drive it. Oh well, lesson learned. From now on with cold nights I'm leaving it in neutral so I don't have to sit with the clutch in to warm it up should it freeze up again.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok so for those that noted in my SE vs ST comparison that one of the things I didnt like about the SE was that it takes too long to cool the interior in the summer I now know why ... The freon level was quite low. Took it in yesterday for its second service at 13000 miles and had them check it and it was way low.

So far no problems on the ST in this regard but i remember one or two posting in the forum that had this problem with their ST. Moral of the story: if you are not happy with how your Focus cools get the freon checked. Since many of us may have purchased the car in cool weather months i'd be willing to bet most of us couldnt adequately check the ac function. I know i didnt with either of my Foci as both were purchased in winter months (feb 2012 for se/jan 2013 for st)

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have so thoroughly enjoyed driving this car this week over country roads twisting and winding over hills and mountains. It performs so perfectly in just about every driving situation except one and that is dragging from a dead stop. So i am interested in what others that have stuck with the stock RMM think in this regard. I havent made any change yet other than the wheels/winter tires and i hope to change back to summer/stock wheels next week.

But how much are you giving up by not changing the rmm? Not using this car as a dragster im really content with the stock set up. Anyone else feel the same? For those that have would love your opinions as well?...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Glad you're still enjoying the car JT! I just hit 2K miles today after getting it in January. What mileage are you up to now? Can't believe you haven't swapped the tires yet! I swapped mine a week or so ago. The nights are still chilly but daytime temps are climbing. I'd rather have to take it easy on a cold morning than destroy the winter rubber during the warmer parts of the days. I'm curious about the RMM also. I've read a good amount of the posts and it seems that the e-Focus RMM may be the the best middle of the road option to take but I'm holding out. Need to put a ball in the bed of the truck at about $1K so Focus fun must wait! Bye for now.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Up to 2400 miles now. It had been a very cold spring still lows in 30s but did get a few days over 70 this past week. Two things held up changing out the tires: was at meetings most of last week that were out of town and second, had to get the f150 fixed last week as it was broken into over easter weekend down in charlotte - thieves broke thr passenger front windo and scewdrivered the driver door lock as well. This happened at an ikea parking lot mind you! Window fixed last week but lock to be fixed this week. Glad we didnt have the st!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sorry to hear about the truck JT. Did you lose much inside? I had a rental Jeep Liberty broken into in Houston at noon time in a nice parking lot for a brew pub. They screwdrivered the lock and grabbed out laptop bags and other stuff. The good news is that the HPD had a sting in action and caught them after they dumped our bags in the dumpster. The PD came and got us at the bar and even fished out our bags. We got everything back thankfully, including my house keys and pesonal car keys which were stupidly in my laptop bag. Anyway, glad the repairs are getting done and hopefully you didn't lose much.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did not lose much as these were pretty stupid perps. Door lock finally fixed so all repairs complete.

Put the summers back on ST today so since they only had about 300 miles on them its like breaking the car in all over again. Although only haf 2600 miles on the michelins the wear is even. Ride a little rough again with the summers. Im not a huge fan of goodyear but hopeful they will be better after break in. A friend of mine says the summer eagles wear out pretty quick after 20 -25k ... We shall see.

I did get the rivet replaced in the left front rocker panel by the dealer that i lost when i hit the box

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Anybody know how to fix the hood fit issues. I discovered recently that driver side HID is scratching the side of the hood. Ive teied to reposition the light but it sits up too high and rubs the hood. Other side fits perfect.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I discovered the hood latch was off on mine. Got a buddy with a body shop and it took him 2 hour to discover what it was and adjust it. Threw the entire hood off

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the reply bill. Do you know where the problem was. It seems to me from looking at mine that the light doesnt fit down in properly on the drivers side. But all that aside the hood gap seems larger than some others as well so i wonder about the hood latch as well

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
He removed the hood latch, (not the pin) and elongated the bolt holes so that it could be repositioned. In doing so, it took the pressure off the hood and allowed it to align much better.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Ok thanks that gives me something to hope for. So was yours rubbing or really tight around thelights?

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Okay, so here are pictures of the problem I have with the front hood fit. Note the scratch on the inside of the hood on the drivers side where its rubbing on the plastic side of the light. From the pictures you can't appreciate that the light actually sticks up and out further on the drivers side. Comparison pictures below.

member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture8572-paint-chipped-drivers-side-hood.jpg

This is the drivers side:

member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture8571-drivers-headlamp.jpg member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture8573-drivers-side-headlamp.jpg

And this the passengers side which looks normal, no rub.

member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture8569-passenger-headlamp.jpg member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture8570-passenger-side-headlamp.jpg

From the pictures inside the engine bay you can see that the lights don't affix the same on both sides. Doesn't fit properly on the drivers side (see how the screw is not aligned properly with the hole?

When I removed that screw to reposition the light and align it better with the hole in the plastic it won't fit down in the space like it does on the passenger side, which is why i suppose this one sticks up more. Has anyone else had this problem? Know a solution?

And on top of this the hood gap. It just seems to me like these HID lights are too big for the design of the front end.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Okay, so here are pictures of the problem I have with the front hood fit. Note the scratch on the inside of the hood on the drivers side where its rubbing on the plastic side of the light. From the pictures you can't appreciate that the light actually sticks up and out further on the drivers side. Comparison pictures below.

From the pictures inside the engine bay you can see that the lights don't affix the same on both sides. Doesn't fit properly on the drivers side (see how the screw is not aligned properly with the hole?

When I removed that screw to reposition the light and align it better with the hole in the plastic it won't fit down in the space like it does on the passenger side, which is why i suppose this one sticks up more. Has anyone else had this problem? Know a solution?

And on top of this the hood gap. It just seems to me like these HID lights are too big for the design of the front end.
My 12 SEL was just like this from the Factory but the dealer lied and claimed the car was hit to get out of doing a warranty repair as it wasn't brought back immediately as it hadn't ground through the paint right away.

I had to get it fixed the first time the bumper cover got smashed up and I had the car in the body shop. Of course they didn't do it right the first time there either.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So how did they fix it? Was it a problem with the headlamp positioning or the hood. I think ive got problems with both.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So i talked with body shop about the hood headlight issue and they agree it should be fixed under warranty so will tey to get this issue to dealer within the next few weeks and then ask about the motor mount tsb as well.

All that aside put about 500 miles on the st in the past few days and did not have any issues with the car. Avg mpg 31-32 with mostly highway driving as fast as conditions allowed. Will admit this car is still amazing but does struggle on really bad pavement

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My 12 SEL was just like this from the Factory but the dealer lied and claimed the car was hit to get out of doing a warranty repair as it wasn't brought back immediately as it hadn't ground through the paint right away.

I had to get it fixed the first time the bumper cover got smashed up and I had the car in the body shop. Of course they didn't do it right the first time there either.
Had the dealer look at this today. Taking it in on Saturday to leave for the week to fix the hood/bodyshop issue and sort out the TSB on the mounts. Test drove it for them today and they agreed it needs to be considered but no definitive answer until next week when they get it up and look at the condition of the mounts I suppose.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Here is the headlamp fix ... matches the other side now so that is good...

member-jtswank-albums-hood-headlamp-issues-picture9382-fix.jpg

I still have a hood gap of 1/2" in the middle and 3/8" on sides. I don't think they addressed it because there is no easy fix. If you lower the hood stops it doesn't fix the c enter gap, just causes the lights to rub more. The only way I can see to fix is lowering the hood latch position, but this would invariably cause the headlamps to rub at that critical point on the side.

I think - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong - that with the ST3 HID lamps, they take up more height. Seems the hood gap is less in the ST1 and ST2. But if anyone with an ST3 is able to get the hood gap less than one half inch in the center, please enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hey JT. Maybe the key is to raise the stops a bit and install weather-stripping. I've seen a DIY here and there but not complete with part #s of the exact material to use. All aftermarket write-ups. I lowered my stops all the way but still don't like the hood gap. No issues with rubbing on mine so far but I need to take a closer look to be sure. Sorry to hear of this problem for you.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts