Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I've owned my ST3 56 plate for year and a half now and I've recently developed an issue with a knocking noise from what sounds like the front left (passenger side) when switching from driving forward to reverse? and then sometimes when pulling off/changing gear at low speed. I have already replaced the lower engine mount with powerflex bushes and this only appears to have made the noise slightly quieter. I believe this could be related to a mount or suspension of some kind as you can get the noise to occur easily when switching between facing up a steep hill to facing down it. Not sure where else to check?!

N.B. I have had the driveshaft nut replaced about 4 months ago as this was missing, however the noise happened shortly after, sounds different and doesn't occur with any speeds roughly above 30mph

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for response, I had seen this thread prior, however the noise is not affected by bumps or turning it can happen either going straight or during a turn

·
Registered
3 Posts
ashleytaylor106 I have the same exact problem. The sound is present on engine start and if i lug it mildly going in reverse. I can always generate the sound if I lug the engine. Did you ever find a solution? I am hoping that's a mount thing seeing as my front passenger side mount (hydrolic one) is a little depressed. I expect the bulb to be round but it's a bit caved in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I went to a mates garage to change the driveshaft and put it up on the ramps in the end, found out it was a lower arm on the passenger side, looked fine however it has a crazy amount of movement in it. I am yet to replace it but 99.9% sure that will fix it the issue for myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Inspecting my 2015 passenger side mount (top) the fluid filled bulb is collapsed but no leakage. I recorded a video and I see the front of the mount move more than the back of it. I'm attributing my start up rattle and reverse or under revving torque/rattle to this mount. I hope others chime in on their experiences with their stock motor mounts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts