Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change on my ST today and I confirmed that the taller FL-400s oil filter does fit on the ST and has plenty of clearance. The purolator brand filter that cross references to this number is even taller than the FL-400s and it also will have enough room to clear(I purchased the purolator filter awhile back but couldn't find it when it came time to do my oil change so I used the FL-400s filter I had laying around).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I thought about that awhile ago. I knew it would spin on but wasn't sure if it would fit with the underbody shield or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't sure it would either but since I have an Advance Auto Parts a quarter mile away I decided to test out my theory since the worst that could happen is I ride my bike down to the store and swap filters.

Now I want to do some research and see if there is a wider filter that is the same length or slightly longer than the FL-400s that screws on the same.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have been using the FL400S on our 12 SEL since the first oil change 20k miles ago.

The lager diameter FL300 hits the reinforcing web on the filter adapter on the SEL just before the gasket bottoms. You could grind a piece out of the web to make clearance but I am not prepared to do that now.

The FL400S used to be longer but it has been shortened along with most of the equivalents. The Bosh equivalent is still the longer length.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luckily the 2.0EB has a different oil filter mounting than the regular 2.0l engine, there is no webbing in the way, next oil change I will be test fitting an FL1A filter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is nobody making a relocation kit for the Focus yet? If so, you could just pipe it up to the engine bay somewhere and put whatever size filter you can shoehorn under the hood.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is nobody making a relocation kit for the Focus yet? If so, you could just pipe it up to the engine bay somewhere and put whatever size filter you can shoehorn under the hood.
The problem is there isn't very much room under the hood of the Focus especially the ST. That and the FL1A filter is the size that most people go with when they do a filter relocation so if it will fit in the stock location there would be no need to relocate the filter.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The newer FL-400S that's been around for the last few years is shorter than the old FL-400S that Ford updated around the time they spec'd it to replace the now discontinued FL-2005. I believe Purolator is still the OEM supplier and their version is the same, longer design as the old FL-400S and the FL-2005. A filter with quality media and more surface area is great but before switching to a different filter than the ST's stock FL-910S it would be good to verify if FL-400S or other filters are using a different oil drain back valve design and if the internal bypass pressure is different. In some cases bigger is not always better.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you want a relocation kit anyone of the dozens out there for a Ford or Chrysler v8 will work. The gasket surface and thread the filter spins onto is the same all the way back to the 60's.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The newer FL-400S that's been around for the last few years is shorter than the old FL-400S that Ford updated around the time they spec'd it to replace the now discontinued FL-2005. I believe Purolator is still the OEM supplier and their version is the same, longer design as the old FL-400S and the FL-2005. A filter with quality media and more surface area is great but before switching to a different filter than the ST's stock FL-910S it would be good to verify if FL-400S or other filters are using a different oil drain back valve design and if the internal bypass pressure is different. In some cases bigger is not always better.
They both have anti drain back valves and they both have the same internal bypass pressure. Since the filters are mounted vertically I don't see how the anti drain back valve design being different could hurt since gravity would hold the oil in the filter.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you want a relocation kit anyone of the dozens out there for a Ford or Chrysler v8 will work. The gasket surface and thread the filter spins onto is the same all the way back to the 60's.
I meant with special brackets, hoses, and whatnot special to fit the ST. I may pick one up and see where I can put it. It might be nice to see if I can get the capacity to a full 6qts from 5.7

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad to see there is a larger filter for the ST motor. I already picked up a FL-910S but I'm sure I will try the FL-400S next time.
My wife's car take the FL-820S I need to see if it will fit then I just need to gt one filter for both cars.

·
Registered
317 Posts
In case anyone is wondering...here is the info I could find. The comparison is from Summitracing.com and I filled in som missing info for the FL-400S from some specs found elsewhere.

oil filter compare.JPG

-Nick

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad to see there is a larger filter for the ST motor. I already picked up a FL-910S but I'm sure I will try the FL-400S next time.
My wife's car take the FL-820S I need to see if it will fit then I just need to gt one filter for both cars.
FL-820S has metric threads, M22 I think. This was the filter my Contour SVT took...The ST filter has english threads, 3/4-16

-Nick

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not to be pessimistic, but aren't you guys playing with fire here? I'm not a big "Does this void my warranty" type, but I would have to think you are giving Ford every reason to do so if something goes wrong internally with the motor. I'm all for having a larger filter and think it is great that we have options, I just won't even touch this until my warranty is up though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
FL-820S has metric threads, M22 I think. This was the filter my Contour SVT took...The ST filter has english threads, 3/4-16

-Nick
good to know.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Not to be pessimistic, but aren't you guys playing with fire here? I'm not a big "Does this void my warranty" type, but I would have to think you are giving Ford every reason to do so if something goes wrong internally with the motor. I'm all for having a larger filter and think it is great that we have options, I just won't even touch this until my warranty is up though.

I was thinking the same. The specks call for a specific filter. Adding the other filter will require a bit more oil and I suppose in theory, more filtration due to have more filter medium to pass through but to what end? If Ford saw fit for the bigger filter, they would have specked it as such.

Plus, I have a case of OEM filters that are the OEM / Motorcraft specified ones that I've got to use up before I can experiment, just curious about the how and why.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
The concern with a larger oil filter is the potential loss of some oil pressure.
A larger filter will have less pressure drop across the filter media which is what you want. The bypass pressure on these filter is around 12 psi. With more media the pressure drop is lower and the filter will spend less time bypassing and circulating unfiltered oil through the engine.

The only time a larger filter will have less oil pressure is when you first start the engine after an oil change, it will take longer to fill the can.

Once the system is up to pressure the anti drain back valve will keep all the oil above the filter from draining back into the pan through the filter.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts