Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
A larger filter will have less pressure drop across the filter media which is what you want. The bypass pressure on these filter is around 12 psi. With more media the pressure drop is lower and the filter will spend less time bypassing and circulating unfiltered oil through the engine.

The only time a larger filter will have less oil pressure is when you first start the engine after an oil change, it will take longer to fill the can.

Once the system is up to pressure the anti drain back valve will keep all the oil above the filter from draining back into the pan through the filter.
Just to add if you prefill the filter before install you can offset the first start pressure drop.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Or on most newer cars you can also hold the throttle all the way down (i.e. WOT) then crank the engine which puts the computer in flood clearing mode and won't fire the injectors, allowing you to build oil pressure prior to then engine starting. Comes in handy on engines with big filters that mount horizontal and you can't pre-fill the filter effectively.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Just curious if anyone was using a larger capacity filter.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Cool. Any issues with oil pressure?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nope no issues with oil pressure. Any pressure over 8-11psi is bypassed by the oil filter meaning that the filter keeps itself at around 8-11psi and the larger filters also have this same bypass pressure.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mustang Man, when are you changing your oil next?? I want to see if that FL1A fits! :D

Also, how much more oil does the 400s hold over the 910s? I really want to get the car to hold 6 qts, cause this odd 5.7 business is annoying!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I don't remember exactly how much I put in, I will be doing an oil change sometime in the middle of next week as I am orderdue for an oil change right now.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I installed the FL-400 filter for my oil change two days ago. No issues with oil pressure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been running the fl400 as well. Cold oil psi is close to 70 if i step on the gas to accelerate. Is it that high with the stock filter? It drops once the oil temp goes up.

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
With the FL400 do you get a full 6 quart of oil?

·
Registered
894 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I lost track of how much I used because I had some left over bottles from my last change. I believe I got in 5.8 quarts, total, without overfilling. If this car is like my previous TDI, there is always going to be a certain amount of oil that does not drain (stuck in the oil cooler, etc.). So I think adding 5.8 quarts new with some oil remaining in the engine means that I got very close to 6 quarts total.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just looked at my stash of filters. I have a bunch of Purolators L20195 that are longer than the current FL400S. They used to be the same length but Purolator and Bosch are still selling the longer version.

I have one of these on my ST so the shorter FL400S may not allow the full six Qts. As I stated before with the L20195 filter six qts was just over the hash mark. You still may be OK with the FL400S but I would check and not blindly dump in 6.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Just looked at my stash of filters. I have a bunch of Purolators L20195 that are longer than the current FL400S. They used to be the same length but Purolator and Bosch are still selling the longer version.

I have one of these on my ST so the shorter FL400S may not allow the full six Qts. As I stated before with the L20195 filter six qts was just over the hash mark. You still may be OK with the FL400S but I would check and not blindly dump in 6.

Sorry about that.
No problem, thanks for the update. I'll look for that one too!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts