Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had leather seats before. Always been against them 'cause cold feeling in winter and sweaty in summer. Getting the ST3, and they're heated so I'll have to figure something for the heat.
Anyway, my sister-in-law's older BMW and my buddy's car have leather and the seats pretty much look like the image below, pretty nasty. Is this real leather we're getting. Will leather protector help or will our seats look like this in 6 years.

leatherwrinkle.jpg

·
Registered
132 Posts
In my experience, a lot of that kind of bolster wear comes from two things: the quality of the leather and the way your clothes rub against it when you get in and out of the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've have an 08 Sport Trac Adrenalin with leather perforated seats... Non Heated. Comfortable year round... no issues... and after four years they still look great...

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Jeans with rivets are hell on seats, leather or otherwise.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Get some Zaino Leather Cleaner and Leather in a Bottle. Great stuff that will keep your leather in great shape for years. I only use Zaino on interior and exterior of.my vehicles. It will be especially important to maintain your leather in the ST because the larger bolsters are prone to wear from rubbing.
http://www.zainostore.com/

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get some Zaino Leather Cleaner and Leather in a Bottle. Great stuff that will keep your leather in great shape for years. I only use Zaino on interior and exterior of.my vehicles. It will be especially important to maintain your leather in the ST because the larger bolsters are prone to wear from rubbing.
Zaino Store
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've got two black labs. I made the mistake of getting cloth seats in my current car. First time that I didn't go with leather in a long time. Black lab hair is a PIA to get out of pours in the cloth seats. Never again. Leather is a must.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've got leather in my 09 Focus and it still looks great. I love how easy it is to clean leather seats. My 93 Mustang still has its original leather seats as well and it still looks good.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A couple of things:
1) The bolsters get destroyed if you're fat and depending on how you get in and out of the car. Basically try not to constantly put all of your weight on them, once they're flat, the only way to fix them is to replace the whole seat.

2) Jean rivets and belts cause havoc on the side bolsters getting in and out, especially on black leather. I've seen too many BMWs with black leather interiors and sport seats have a worn spot on the door side bolster from when someone gets in and out of the car. It can easily be touched up, but it's just something to pay attention to.

Other than that, leather seats are fantastic. It's just the sport seats that add a couple wrinkles to ownership.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My SVTF seats have leather side boulsters and they are in better shape then the cloth inserts. leather deals with spills alot better and besides sharp objects i wouild say is the better choice.

Leather protector does wonders and is easier to apply and takes less time then a shampoo.

Dont be fooled into thinking the leather seats will be really cold in the winter... like you will have bareskin exposed to it, and super hot in the summer... it is not a convertible and most will tint the windows within a few weeks of purchase.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1) The bolsters get destroyed if you're fat and depending on how you get in and out of the car.

Seriously? You wrote that!?
Yep. And it's true. I've seen plenty of thigh bolsters in BMWs, Audis, and Infinitis flattened on the door side of the seat from larger people getting in and out of the car and putting their weight on them.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts