Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mk7 Volkswagen Golf will be joined by a limited run, lightweight performance version of the GTi. News of the carbonfibre and aluminium 'carbon Golf GTi' comes as a GTi test mule has been spied testing in Germany.

The carbon GTi has been conceived partly as a tribute to the original, pared-down GTi. Its front bulkhead, windscreen surround and floor panels will be fashioned from lightweight aluminium and the roof and bonnet from hi-tech carbonfibre. These advanced materials could shave up to 200kg off the Carbon GTi’s kerb weight, compared with today’s GTi, pushing it towards a highly competitive 1125kg.

Sources say the lightweight Golf will showcase VW’s use of hi-tech materials and recall the agility and simplicity of the original GTi, which weighed in at just 810kg.

Power will come from the same 222bhp turbo 2.0-litre engine that is set to power the Mk7 Golf GTi, which means the lighter body will contribute a slight improvement in the 0-62mph time, dropping to under six seconds.

Production will be limited and additional to the standard GTi, with a possible launch in 2014 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Volkswagen Golf.

click: autocar.co.uk/car-news/2013 lightweight-volkswagen-golf-carbon-gti-planned

doubt it'll make it state side but would be nice if it did !

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
What ya doing, trolling the internet for competition tonight!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Not at all. Much appreciated.

I do the same thing. In fact, read those articles today on Autoblog.

I like knowing the competition too! Keep it coming!

On the go via Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nice :)

one draw back though, then your stuck with a VW ;)
Ain't nothin' wrong! :D

I'm a diehard VW fan. If the ST can lure me away, things are looking pretty good for Ford. It also helps that most of the really cool VWs are vaporware here in the States.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I read the same article on AutoBlog regarding the lightweight Mk VII GTI. However, the thing I find curious is that previous articles have talked extensively about the Mk VII GTI making 260 HP. :?: Lightweight or not, if VW increases the HP on the new GTI from 200 to only 222, they will have a significant HP disadvantage, particularly in Europe where they compete against the Opel Astra OPC and Vauxall VXR (these cars are putting 280 HP thru their front wheels).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had heard the GTI will get aluminum roof/hood while the Golf R gets the carbon fiber. And it seems like the MkVII GTI (which will probably hit late 2013 as a 2014 model) will only output 222 hp. Even if the aluminum parts can shave off the reported 200 lbs, it won't come close to matching the ST, MS3 or WRX.

I really like the GTI interior (minus the barf-inducing plaid seats and perforated fake leather in the high end upgrade), but everything about the car screams boring. It's exterior styling looks like a grey blob that's been focus group tested to be as inoffensive as possible. It handles exceptionally well, but is severely lacking in acceleration. Unfortunately I don't see the MkVII improving on any of these problems.

·
Registered
373 Posts
A couple of things:
1) How can a GTI be "lacking in acceleration" yet have similar 0-60 numbers to the ST? VW is well known to understate engine power, especially when it comes to the 2.0T in cars like the GTI.

2) The new GTI has not had any confirmed power numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if whatever number they throw out there when they do confirm is underrated again (especially if they go with the low end of numbers around 222 hp). That combined with the weight decrease will make it faster than the current car (which should make it faster than the ST), if the tires can keep up. Not to mention the interior of the new Golf looks way more upscale and better laid out than the ST interior (which is currently best in class).

3) Any GTI Carbon with more expensive body panels to lighten it is going to cost significantly more than a regular GTI, pricing it out of the competition for the vast majority of people comparing a regular GTI and ST. It'll be no different than how people rule out the Golf R due to price and limited increase in performance right now.

A lot of people here like to call the GTI "boring" and inoffensive. If you want wild looking cars, then stick to the MS3, WRX, ST, etc. There's plenty of people who appreciate the refined, more reserved, more upscale looking design of the current and next generation Golf/GTI/Golf R, that comes with a better laid out interior and could almost pass for an Audi (especially the next generation Golf). To me, the GTI is a more attractive car than the ST. I don't fault you for not agreeing with that statement, but you should still appreciate the GTI for what it is - it's a benchmark for a reason, and it is why the current ST is as good as it is. Competition is good, it'll make the next GTI better, it'll make the next Focus RS better, and it'll make the next ST even better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had heard the GTI will get aluminum roof/hood while the Golf R gets the carbon fiber. And it seems like the MkVII GTI (which will probably hit late 2013 as a 2014 model) will only output 222 hp. Even if the aluminum parts can shave off the reported 200 lbs, it won't come close to matching the ST, MS3 or WRX.

I really like the GTI interior (minus the barf-inducing plaid seats and perforated fake leather in the high end upgrade), but everything about the car screams boring. It's exterior styling looks like a grey blob that's been focus group tested to be as inoffensive as possible. It handles exceptionally well, but is severely lacking in acceleration. Unfortunately I don't see the MkVII improving on any of these problems.
I wouldn't discount the weight of this GTI (if it would actually be this light). If you calculate the numbers and compare the power to weight ratio to the MS3, the MS3's would be 3281 lbs to 263hp (12.5 lbs/hp) and the lightweight GTI's is 1125kg/2475 lbs to 222hp (11.1 lbs/hp), which would make it quicker, especially combined with it's DSG transmission.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Also, I believe the MKVII GTI will get a 7 speed DSG. VW isn't going to mess up the GTI they are going to stick with their formula that works.

·
Registered
105 Posts
1) How can a GTI be "lacking in acceleration" yet have similar 0-60 numbers to the ST? VW is well known to understate engine power, especially when it comes to the 2.0T in cars like the GTI.
I didn't mean 0-60 times, I meant how that acceleration feels, especially in the mid-band and in higher gears. The ST's overboost is the difference here, giving you a good torquey pull without having to drop gears. Makes a huge difference when you do a lot of highway driving in a congested area like DC where apparently no one is taught the left lane is for faster traffic.

·
Registered
742 Posts
There's a reason the ST used the GTI as its benchmark (to beat): the GTI is a pretty awesome car. But now that the Mk7 GTI has been unveiled, I still have to say it's more than a bit boring to look at. The interior does look very good... it has that clean refined German quality about it, versus the ST's more "tech-y" edgy interior. I actually think the Mk7 GTI dash layout is better than the ST's. That said, I've always found Ford's ergonomics work better for me than VWs, Audis, Saabs, etc. There's something about Ford's design principles that work better for me, but that's a matter of tastes of course.

And sure, the GTI has evolved into a very refined machine, but I tend to have more fun in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt than I do in a nicely tailored suit, even if it's a really youthful and sporty looking suit. I just mean that there is something to be said for a car having a more base and visceral feel than the GTI is characterized for giving. But that's a matter of taste as well of course.

On the performance side, just like with the ST, we'll have to wait and see how the Mk7 GTI actually performs to know if the weight savings and power increase will be as significant as they potentially could. I'll be shocked if they can get the curb weight of a Mk7 GTI below 2900 lbs. even with the aluminum bits, which means that with the rated 222hp, that gives a ratio of 13.1 lbs/hp, which is still above the ST and MS3. And yes, it is under-rated as many folks claim, but the ST and MS3 appear to be as well, so that's a moot point. The fact is that all of these cars are very very competitive, and for good reason: manufacturers know who they're competitors are and what they're doing. You can expect that if the Mk7 GTI is that much quicker or whatever, that Ford, and Mazda, and BMW will step up a bit too.

Besides, GTIs are like the Civic of the euro car scene.:p j/k... j/k

1 - 16 of 16 Posts