Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have went to two dealerships and they have both denied me of xplan pricing and refuse to charge below MSRP. One even said they will be charging 2000 above msrp. They both said because the ST is in very limited production, they may only get one or two of these cars. Is this true, or are they just trying to gouge me?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
They are able to refuse a-z plan pricing. It's their prerogative. If the dealers you found wont work with you find another. the ST isn't that limited.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah there are plenty of people on here getting them below MSRP

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not sure where all these dealerships are getting this limited production idea. I haven't heard a definite number of exactly how many Ford is producing, but I would imagine they aren't going to limit it at all on pre-orders. If they got massive amounts of ST pre-orders by Mid-July I doubt they would cut them off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not sure where all these dealerships are getting this limited production idea. I haven't heard a definite number of exactly how many Ford is producing, but I would imagine they aren't going to limit it at all on pre-orders. If they got massive amounts of ST pre-orders by Mid-July I doubt they would cut them off.
I can't remember where I read about the limited production, but when we asked a Team Detroit rep at the commercial shoot, he said it wouldn't be more than 11-12k units. Not that this makes it official, but he seemed to be confident in the number, and he knew that he was talking to folks who would likely take such info out to the Web. I believe it was Cypress who was with me at the time, maybe he can corroborate this.

Now, that doesn't necessarily justify a sales price of MSRP or over. They still have to have enough demand to command those prices, and I think here in the early days, it simply isn't there. There has been a lot of hype for the car, but for a relatively small demographic.

I've thought for some time now that what Ford wants to do is use this model year (2013) to get the car out there in the hands of the enthusiasts, let a wider audience see it on the road and read the comparos, and then, assuming it delivers as expected, have a much larger production for the following model year. They have been so methodical (okay, maybe its just slow) in getting this to market, I have to think that they are trying to get it right, straight out of the gate, avoiding the MFT mess, and auto transmission standard Focus frustrations. Just my .02, and by no means an expert opinion.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Lisa has said outright that production is not limited and that they will build to demand. In other words, if you want one, you'll get one (though you might have to wait on production scheduling).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lisa has said outright that production is not limited and that they will build to demand. In other words, if you want one, you'll get one (though you might have to wait on production scheduling).
Yeah, Keith may have just been giving the number they expect to build.

·
Registered
373 Posts
"Limited production of 12k or so units" may be accurate, but only because demand may not exceed that during the first year. Remember: This is a manual-only car, the GTI and MS3 have never sold in huge numbers in the US (even though the GTI offers an auto), and when people start comparing the ST to a similarly priced 2013 Fusion, they'll typically go with the bigger car with the "normal" form factor (sedan).

Of course this still means no one should have any problems getting a ST if they want one.

·
4,009 Posts
If Ford put the Ecoboosted 6 in a Fusion with AWD, I'd be all over that, maybe even more so with the ST. With four kids to haul around I'm glad that the ST has five doors but a true Sport Fusion would be very tempting.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If Ford put the Ecoboosted 6 in a Fusion with AWD, I'd be all over that, maybe even more so with the ST. With four kids to haul around I'm glad that the ST has five doors but a true Sport Fusion would be very tempting.
There's talk of a Fusion ST with exactly that. I imagine it'll be a 2014 model though, so you'll have to wait... and since the regular Fusion tops out around $33-35k, I imagine the Fusion ST will start about in that range and inch close to $40k fully loaded... which is still amazing considering it'll be 300+ hp and AWD. Certainly blows the competition away in this segment (which is really limited to the Regal RS, VW CC 3.6 4Motion, and... the Subaru Legacy 2.5GT which is discontinued?).

·
4,009 Posts
How about being a poor man's Audi?!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How about being a poor man's Audi?!
Funny you should say that. My closest choice to the ST was a 2011/2012 Audi TT. I actually like the looks and performance of the TT better, but the ST is just so much more practical and is approximately 9k less (an ST3 compared to a base TT). The ST just has too much value on the performance/practical curve for me to not get it (compared to the TT). So yes, I definitely consider the ST a poor man's Audi! I was also considering the Volvo C30, but the ST really beats it for price and performance.

Reactions: DarkBuddha

·
4,009 Posts
Funny, I considered the C30 as well but the ST offers a better (enthusiast oriented) package that is hard to resist.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The c30 has a strange center stack layout imo. I like u guys considered. But the practicality of it seems limited due to being only three doors.

·
4,009 Posts
I like the center stack but the technology in the C30 is antiquated compared to the ST. The LCD display is circa 1980!

Plus, the ST is driver oriented, with an emphasis on fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts