Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the (very easy) install of my new MyTouch LockPick2 from Coastal Electronic Technologies.

Just wanted to report, after the 10 minutes or so of installing the hardware, I am very impressed with how easily this system works. A few quirks I have noticed though:

• Unlock while driving feature needs activation every time you start the car
  • Reverse camera seems to take a few seconds to kick in, but I haven't hooked a camera up yet, so that might be why
  • Dip switches did not work the first time and had to be toggled up and down before it worked while plugged in
Besides that, I am very happy to have it installed. I can finally enter addresses when driving without using the voice commands, and my A/V works when driving too! I can finally let my passengers watch video while going down the highway!

As a nice extra feature, the wiring harness for the kit includes Accessory 12V, Constant 12V, and ground leads, plus power for each of 3 cameras you have the option of installing. This is a HUGE time saver for anyone like me who likes to add accessories to their dash, such as phone cradles, custom lighting, extra gauges, DVR car recorder, etc.

I am still waiting for my reverse camera to arrive. Once installed, I'll reply again with my thoughts on the entire system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I can't say I blame you. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I can't argue with the result.

FYI, for those in canada, be aware that they ship these by UPS ground and you should expect a $32 brokerage fee (or so) on top of the shipping price.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
The only reason I'd ever need this is for the reverse camera capabilities... but that's not with $350 + camera for me. Besides that, it seems like the only thing it enables are more distractions from driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I finished the (very easy) install of my new MyTouch LockPick2 from Coastal Electronic Technologies.

Just wanted to report, after the 10 minutes or so of installing the hardware, I am very impressed with how easily this system works. A few quirks I have noticed though:

• Unlock while driving feature needs activation every time you start the car
  • Reverse camera seems to take a few seconds to kick in, but I haven't hooked a camera up yet, so that might be why
  • Dip switches did not work the first time and had to be toggled up and down before it worked while plugged in
Besides that, I am very happy to have it installed. I can finally enter addresses when driving without using the voice commands, and my A/V works when driving too! I can finally let my passengers watch video while going down the highway!

As a nice extra feature, the wiring harness for the kit includes Accessory 12V, Constant 12V, and ground leads, plus power for each of 3 cameras you have the option of installing. This is a HUGE time saver for anyone like me who likes to add accessories to their dash, such as phone cradles, custom lighting, extra gauges, DVR car recorder, etc.

I am still waiting for my reverse camera to arrive. Once installed, I'll reply again with my thoughts on the entire system.
Nice! I also installed a lockpick2, please let us know if you are able to view the backup camera other than being in reverse. Check out page 3 of this page towards the bottom ( I hope linking this is ok) BB's build. PB ST3 - Page 3

·
Registered
175 Posts
Had the lockpick in my 2010 Fusion Sport with the hard drive based nav...worked flawless. I still have it for sale for $100 if anyone wants it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Very anxious to see how your rear camera install goes. Where are you putting it? This is the only thing I want for my car and I may pull the trigger on it soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
last week I just picked up a NavTool interface for $200 and $25 dollars camera of eBay, easy to install loving it.

they have unadvertised special you got to call for it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My plan is to decide that once I see the physical camera. I was thinking of enlarging the hole on the door handle button and using that, but I may just drill through the hatch cover instead. It's just plastic anyway and could be changed if necessary, but you would never see the hole even if you just left it open.

BTW, the focus titaniums are installed just to the left of the hatch button and are drilled directly into the plastic body panel. I have photos ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used a "cheap" cam from Amazon, Around $20. I like it because it is very low profile in the rear. Install was fairly easy, although disassembling the interior hatch trim was a pain. Drilling a small hole in the exterior piece was the easiest part, BTW there are 6 bolts and double sided tape that hold this piece to the hatch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed the lockpick 2 over the weekend and all it does is show me "Rear camera not available - see dealer" when I put it in reverse. I have it hooked up to a really nice Kenwood camera. Also, I notice that that "Contact Us" link on the Coastaletech website does not work. I'm not too happy about this.

·
Registered
726 Posts
power for 3 cameras. But does it provide a cable for receiving their signal, or are they supposed to be recording to their own media? Most sport cams don't have external power inputs, so I think it must be for cameras like the backup. But without some sort of recording device, that can handle 3 inputs simultaneously, it's useless. Interesting though. Thanks for all the info. I think Ford should have installed that backup camera or offered the option from the get go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed the lockpick 2 over the weekend and all it does is show me "Rear camera not available - see dealer" when I put it in reverse. I have it hooked up to a really nice Kenwood camera. Also, I notice that that "Contact Us" link on the Coastaletech website does not work. I'm not too happy about this.
I get that message when I am in reverse but the engine is not running.
If I start the car the message is replaced by the backup camera picture. Sound to me like the camera is not powering or disconnected video cable?
Just some thoughts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get that message when I am in reverse but the engine is not running.
If I start the car the message is replaced by the backup camera picture. Sound to me like the camera is not powering or disconnected video cable?
Just some thoughts
get a NavTool , I was installing mine over the weekend even got phone support on the weekend

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does this install require removal of the headunit etc? Does anyone have install instructions they can post? I really would like this for the backup cam!

The person who posted install - where did you find the camera shroud and did it come paint matched or did you paint it to match? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
get a NavTool , I was installing mine over the weekend even got phone support on the weekend

Nav tool by itself does not unlock the MFT vehicle in moton like lock pick does.

IE - i can use the MFT navigation while driving instead of having to stop to enter info.

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Can you use the factory ford emblem/camera from the titanium focus with the lockpick2? I think I would prefer the factory look. Well never mind, I didn't read the previous post very well. The focus install is as detailed in the previous post. Does ford make an emblem/camera combo like my FX4 Eccoboost for the focus? That would be the look I would prefer. I have seen the lockpick 2 license plate night vision cam on their website, anyone use it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts