Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not driven a Focus so I'd like to know how will the ST be on long intestate road trips? Especially road noise and ride.
Thanks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think you can expect the ST to be somewhat unforgiving when it comes to ride comfort. The recaros hold you in nice and tight, but for long road trips I can see leg cramping and back aches being a factor. Also, the suspension is going to be a little on the stiff side, so uneven roadways might be headache inducing.

I had the pleasure of sitting in an ST2 yesterday and I am in love with those recaros. My wife sat in them and gave me the stink eye.. I don't think she's quite as impressed with the level of comfort LOL. Oh well, she's extra weight anyway.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would like to think it would be similar to the regular 2012 focus which is very good. Just drove mine 450 miles yesterday, my only complaint would be the seats, but I would assume the ST2 seats are going to resolve that. A friend with a new Forester rode along for a few minutes and commented on two things: there sure was a lot of torque down low and it was very quiet, quieter than his Forester.

I also got 39.4 mpg, gonna miss that part.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Very comfortable seats, not sure about noise though. Only time I drove it, I drove it like I stole it, and there was plenty of noise.
From what I've heard though, it's not too noisy when you're not driving it hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would like to think it would be similar to the regular 2012 focus which is very good. Just drove mine 450 miles yesterday, my only complaint would be the seats, but I would assume the ST2 seats are going to resolve that. A friend with a new Forester rode along for a few minutes and commented on two things: there sure was a lot of torque down low and it was very quiet, quieter than his Forester.

I also got 39.4 mpg, gonna miss that part.
My sister recently purchased a 2012 focus and all I can say about the seats is that they feel like they have too much lumbar support.. I know the drivers is adjustable and maybe my back isn't suited for that much lumbar, but that's where most of my back pain comes from when I ride. Hoping the ST2 seats ride as good as they look, if they did I'm sure none of us would have any complains! As far as the gas mileage goes, I'm hoping that with the AC off and light driving (good luck with that) we could possibly be in the mid 30s.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I've taken very long road trips in a 2003 and a 2009 Focus and I've felt they have been great road trip cars. I didn't have problems with road noise or leg cramps on those. I don't expect noise to be much different with the ST at highway speed. The big question is going to be how the Recaro's and that will vary depending on the person. From my short ride at the Performance Academy I don't expect them to be a problem for me. I'm also curious how the ride is going to be on regular roads. At the performance academy I thought it was pretty smooth and on most highways I think the ride will be fine. But regular roads are another story. I'm planning on taking it on a cross country drive next year and my only concern are the seats and how my wife will like them.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
908 Posts
Topgear magazine drove it across US:

Ford Focus ST across US - BBC Top Gear
Ford Focus ST driven full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

I read the article in the iPad magazine a while ago, don't remember the details but I do remember the reviewer sounding pretty enamoured with the car, especially for long road trips.
I was wondering how many posts it would take for someone to mention this. I've got the magazine on my desk, and there are no complaints about driving 3333 miles in the ST, just that he always wanted to get back in. He also says, "I don't think I've ever driven a car with better seats".

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Now that is a review.... Great read

·
Registered
753 Posts
What do you consider a long road trip?
For me a long road trip is any drive that requires filling the tank at least once to get to your destination. I've taken a Focus from NY to Texas and on a seperate trip to Florida and several places in between. Pretty much anything over 5 hours and 400 miles.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I've driven my Titanium on long trips multiple times. Very comfortable car even with the stiffer titanium handling package. It is also very quiet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've done cincy to tampa (900miles) in a 2009 focus sel and it was no problem. Pretty comfortable but personally I like firm seats and beds. I plan on doing it end of september with the ST (if I get my car by then). My luck the car will be delivered to the dealer while im in Tampa :S

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Ford seats are very good. I don't know how much tech Ford siphoned off from Volvo re seat design but Volvo seats are known to be some of the best in the biz.

I know that when I ride in my dads Dodge truck or my mothers Honda, my back aches on 2 hour trips. Honestly Ford seats are very supportive, a bit firm for some folks but I for one don't like driving on a surface that feels like sitting on a sofa.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've done cincy to tampa (900miles) in a 2009 focus sel and it was no problem. Pretty comfortable but personally I like firm seats and beds. I plan on doing it end of september with the ST (if I get my car by then). My luck the car will be delivered to the dealer while im in Tampa :S
DONT jinx yourself now! Saying stuff like this calls the jinx!

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
anything over 3 hours
Longest trip was coast to coast cross country

·
Registered
685 Posts
Having done road trips mostly on motorcycles, with 800 to 1000 mile days on some legs...

Any car would be more comfortable than riding 800 miles in a midwestern deluge on a bike, or 130 degree road temperatures through Arizona, or 95 degree temps with 95% humidity through the south.

It's all a matter of what you're used to :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts