Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine was looking at the pictures of the blue ST on this French review and said it looked like the ST uses lug bolts instead of nuts. Image #12 is a close up of the wheel and lugs, but I can't tell for sure if they're nuts or bolts.

They do kind of look like bolts, but I don't know why Ford would choose to go this route, as it's a PITA to mount wheels when there are no studs.

Anyone know for sure?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Lug nuts. All fords use them. Current Focus uses them too. Lug bolts are a PITA

Reactions: Ken Bury

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lug nuts. All fords use them. Current Focus uses them too. Lug bolts are a PITA
Whew! That's good news! Thanks for the confirmation Bill!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know firsthand that he ST uses lug nuts but even if it used lug bolts, you can change them out very easily. I did that with my '85 GTi race car. :)

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
That's a silly reason to cancel the order but whatever... ;)
Sounds like someone had to change a flat in bad weather. I image that the bolts would be a PITA.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Lotus that I autocross has lug bolts. They're not all that bad, and we swap the wheels/tires pretty frequently.
Of course, the wheels are pretty light, so that helps.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like someone had to change a flat in bad weather. I image that the bolts would be a PITA.
Actually somebody has to do a used car inspection on 8-12+ cars a week including pulling the wheels and breaks apart and I absolutely HATE lug bolts, they make it so much harder to get the wheels on and off it isn't even funny.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Especially when you gotta handle 35+ pounds of wheel and then monkey-diddle with that accursed bolt at the same time!
That's what I hate too.

On the go - Via TapTalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
This trick uses a cordless electric impact(a smaller one not a big powerful one), I use this at work, and a deepwell 3/8" drive socket(in your case of the Crossfire a 17mm). Now place one of the lug bolts in the socket and have it ready to go and within arms reach, now lift the wheel and line the lug holes up, hold the wheel in place with one hand(you can hold it there by applying some pressure on the wheel and the hub will hold it in place) and with the other grab the impact with the socket already in it and stick the lug in the hole and use the impact to drive it in(this is where a smaller less powerful impact comes into play because if it starts to cross thread you will notice right away before damaging anything), if you start to screw the lugnut in before it reaches the threads it just slides right in with no troubles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts