Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was toying around under the hood and wanted to pull the MAF sensor to clean it... but after removing the fasteners... the sensor did not want to come apart from the intake hose... It came up a lil but then stopped... I certainly do not want to damage it.. Anyone else had this issue? do I just need a lil more elbow grease? Or is there some sort of clamp or what not inside the intake tube I need to release.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's a MAP sensor, and there are 3 of them.
I'm not positive, but I don't think they need to be cleaned.
I think cleaning them would do more damage than good.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about the sensor attached to the air box. That sensor is only used for Intake Air Temp. Our motors are Speed Density based and do not use a MAF sensor. Airflow is calculated based off intake manifold pressures along with temps. No need to clean it, but to answer your question a slight twisting motion while pulling it out should help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about the sensor attached to the air box. That sensor is only used for Intake Air Temp. Our motors are Speed Density based and do not use a MAF sensor. Airflow is calculated based off intake manifold pressures along with temps. No need to clean it, but to answer your question a slight twisting motion while pulling it out should help.
Actually it's used for both temperature and pressure, though normally it only reads pressure from the first start to establish the atmospheric conditions the car is operating under, at least on the 2013-2014 Focus ST, the 2015 has a different sensor that may be just a temperature sensor. There would be no point in having a pressure sensor if you were only going to measure temperature with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts