Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in a hospital bed on my iPad. I wrecked my road bike (cyclist) and shattered my right elbow. I won't be able to ride to work for awhile and I will need a car sooner than the delivery date for the ST. I also do not know if I will be able to learn to drive stick properly for some months.

Veloster Turbo automatic it may have to be.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Dude that sucks :(

I hope you have a quick recovery and I wouldn't blame you for cancelling your order in a situation like this. I hope that wreck had nothing to do with a car... I've seen so many near-misses with bikes due to either blind spot negligence or shear road rage that I'd never be able to bike on the road, haha.

Feel better, man.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no car. Hairpin turn a mile from home, after recent rain. Lost traction, bike slid out from under me. I went down HARD on my elbow.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Bummer. After wrecking my bike 25 years ago, I got the slowest thing around, a VW Microbus! While I've ridden since, I've never owned another bike.

Whatever you do, take the time to rehab right. And take the time to think about what the right decision should be for your particular circumstances.

Be good to you. All the best.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Plus one here for sure!! I hope that your elbow does heal good and fast. I hate hearing that this happened to you. Once possible solution is to buy a POS beater in the meanwhile ( with automatic trans, of course) and then after you are 100% again, THEN get the ST.
I know that you would probably have to cancel your order but at least this would free up your money so that you would be able to get an ST when you are ready.
Get well, Amigo!

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you're not set on the Veloster Turbo and want a car that's a bit more of a driver's car, you seriously can't go wrong with a GTI with DSG.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Damn man. That sux. I use to ride alot and ate it once. Not fun. Hope you have a speedy recovery and everything works out. :beer:

·
Registered
753 Posts
That sucks man, I've been thinking of getting a bike but I keep hearing about people having accidents and I'm a little turned off to the idea at this point.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am a road cyclist. This accident does not change that. You can get hurt on foot or in a car, too.

I ride and I'm happy. I can't give that up. Also it's my only significant exercise. Riding is safe enough if you take precautions. Grip is everything. I sorta forgot that for a split second and the bike slid out from under me.

It sucks. I've learned from it. Pain will remind me.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Looking on the bright side of things, is your bike still good?

What do you ride, anyway? I'm more of a dirt-road biker, so I've got a Salsa Vaya, a touring bike that is good on most terrain. I also have a single speed with 3" thick tires for the snow (snow tires not on in picture), and a built from scratch fixed gear for the city.

I hope you'll be back on the road soon :)

Oh, and maybe you can get a good deal with the dealership? I'm sure they'd still want your sale...

·
Registered
778 Posts
That really sucks. But it could have been much worse!
I hope you heal up nicely and without complication. If you really want an ST, I would say go the beater route that was mentioned before.
Have they given you a rough recovery outline?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The firemen who showed up are holding my bike for me. I was in both shock and agony, didn't inspect the frame for cracks or more obvious damage.

2009 Trek Madone 5.2

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Get well soon. You walked away, that's what matters.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts