Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been poking around the web a little bit and I've found some places to purchase one of the ST3 or Titanium Overhead Consoles.

Since I am ordering an ST2 and it does not come with one, I am thinking of possibly mounting one myself. Does anyone have any experience with the Overhead Console? Can it be mounted to a car that didn't originally come with one?

It seems like it would be pretty straightforward. I am a little concerned that the installation could ruin the headliner.

Thoughts? Comments? Good idea? Bad Idea? :confused:

·
Registered
908 Posts
My thoughts are... do you really need an overhead console?

Just wondering, I never really used mine. The one time I did open it I found someone else's sunglasses that had been there for years.

I feel like any aftermarket console mounting might just look messy/out of place.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My thoughts are... do you really need an overhead console?

Just wondering, I never really used mine. The one time I did open it I found someone else's sunglasses that had been there for years.

I feel like any aftermarket console mounting might just look messy/out of place.
Just because you don't see a use for it, doesn't mean that other people don't. I've used them and I like to put things up there for easy reach. More storage as well and my sunglasses especially won't get lost in the arm rest console.

I'm not sure how an aftermarket unit would look, which is why I ask. I figured someone with one would have some ideas. Keep the ideas flowin'

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I don't think its' an easy swap as it is molded into the headliner. I don't need sunglass holders so bad that I'm willing to tear apart my new car.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I don't want to rip apart the car or headliner for that matter either. I haven't really paid too much attention to the console, so I thought it may be an easy swap, but it looks like it isn't.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Also, the Titanium console is tan while the ST console will be black... I mean, I guess you could always paint it but I wanted to make sure you were aware of it :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The interior pics of the white ST2 in the General Discussion section show an overhead console between the sunroof and the front windshield. It looks like it has a sunglass holder and a light or two. Don't know if this will work for you, but a trip to your local dealer might let you know if the ST2 overhead console will be all that you need.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Several years ago I swapped an Explorer overhead console into a Ranger (same underlying platform). The headliners were similar so no issues there. The wiring harness for the explorer console was even in place from the factory even though the Ranger had never had one at that point. I did have to cut the headliner and drill 2 holes into a brace (most nerve racking part as it was just below the roof). Looked stock when I finished. I liked it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, much better pics of overhead console. Maybe it comes with the sunroof because Ford only lists the overhead console with the ST3. Anyway, for those that want a garage door opener, there may be room in this console, and there's a extra plate for the push button. Or, since this overhead console has the mike for bluetooth/sync, if you want an autodimming mirror, just replace with the Gentex either with or without homelink/compass.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course a car with a moonroof has an overhead console. I was looking for installing one without a moonroof

1 - 16 of 16 Posts