Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
From what I've seen, the ST3 (w/m.roof & navi) is the most popular package, which kind of surprises me. I guess most people must feel "Hey I'm already buying a new car, may as well go for broke"
I dont think this is all that surprising ...if you wanted full leather recaros at least which is the main reason i got the st3. And unless you retail ordered otherwise every ST3 on a lot in US came with Nav and moonroof

black being most popular doesnt seem surprising either

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Thanks for compiling eric ...nice summary. One thing i would like to see is buyer demographics as to age and gender of buyer and color and trim package by age/gender. While the total production estimates were accurate would love to know how Ford did with their pre production marketing analysis. My bet is there are a lot more over 40 owners than Ford might have predicted for this car.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Demographic data is something that Ford would have to release directly and I don't have access to. It wouldn't surprise me if the ST is like the older SVT Focus and it came back older that you'd think (off memory I want to say the average age buyer of that car was 41).

Also for those wondering on options, as I mentioned earlier I don't think I'm going to be able to break down options by trim levels and colors and interior, but I should have the overall uptake for each market soon. For those asking about the moonroof, I think total uptake for all North American markets was around 70% and navigation was on around 60% of the cars.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Odd no one ordered TB 200a Tangerine partial.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Demographic data is something that Ford would have to release directly and I don't have access to. It wouldn't surprise me if the ST is like the older SVT Focus and it came back older that you'd think (off memory I want to say the average age buyer of that car was 41).

Also for those wondering on options, as I mentioned earlier I don't think I'm going to be able to break down options by trim levels and colors and interior, but I should have the overall uptake for each market soon. For those asking about the moonroof, I think total uptake for all North American markets was around 70% and navigation was on around 60% of the cars.
The fact that black was the most popular color would also tend to predict an older than expected demographic ...that is at least if you believe the gurus that predict personality by car color lol!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one of those export cars. I pre-ordered from military car sales in Germany with stateside delivery scheduled 6 months later. When I picked it up in flordia it did have an export window sticker but it has never left the states. It's an PB ST3 no moon roof, any way you can drill down to my 1 of XX number?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
As I mentioned earlier, the data isn't in an easy to sort format, doesn't plug into Excel very well and I haven't been able to dump it into a database yet so I can't and likely won't in the near future be able to breakdown cars into xx options, yy trim level in zz market combined with exterior and interior color to give an x of y produced number. I know a lot of people are curious and have asked about that but there were some 12k+ cars built and just sorting and validating data for the interior trim color of the US-market ST2 cars took a couple hours for example.

·
Registered
650 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, the data isn't in an easy to sort format, doesn't plug into Excel very well and I haven't been able to dump it into a database yet so I can't and likely won't in the near future be able to breakdown cars into xx options, yy trim level in zz market combined with exterior and interior color to give an x of y produced number. I know a lot of people are curious and have asked about that but there were some 12k+ cars built and just sorting and validating data for the interior trim color of the US-market ST2 cars took a couple hours for example.
Is the raw data something you can share? I don't mind playing with it (I do a lot of work in Excel and Access daily).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'll drop a PM, but it's not something that would be really helpful as the structure and raw data isn't uniform and has required conversion to text and UNIX scripting just to pull some of the trim level and option data from it.

Speaking of the numbers, I have a few days off with the upcoming holiday and should have some free time to crunch through more of the options information. I'll update the thread when that's ready.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'll drop a PM, but it's not something that would be really helpful as the structure and raw data isn't uniform and has required conversion to text and UNIX scripting just to pull some of the trim level and option data from it.

Speaking of the numbers, I have a few days off with the upcoming holiday and should have some free time to crunch through more of the options information. I'll update the thread when that's ready.
Can you figure out why FPG states that there were 13,575 STs built at MAP for the 2013 MY when the data you've presented seems to show just 12343 cars built? That's a large discrepancy of 1232 cars which could completely shift the results/ proportions for each option/ market.

It's curious to be certain.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I saw that number on the sample certificate on their site, but has anyone who's spoken with them confirmed that's what they're saying for the total build number or just assuming the sample certificate number is correct? I'm fairly confident the numbers in this thread are accurate and if you had access to Ford's ETIS (not the publicly available search) it would show the same numbers as I've posted here. Also given the recent Ford press release (here) about average income of ST buyers it mentions they've sold fewer than 12k cars as of October which would include the MY14 cars from the last couple months. The Detroit Press article about the US market ST3 uptake rate is nearly spot on as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I spoke with FPG earlier today to inquire about my build number and they did indeed state that there were 13,575 cars built in te NA market.
Since this is the number that FPG has stated it should theoretically be correct, but the itemized breakdown seems to indicate otherwise, hence my personal confusion at the difference.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I don't think their number is accurate and it does conflict against other data coming directly from Ford like the recent press release. Unfortunately without comparing a list of cars that I have to the list they have it would be hard to tell if there's some missing or counted twice (if the Canadian market cars were counted twice you'd get 13175, for example). If anything I'd expect their number to be less since automakers often don't include things like export, Canadian and Mexican market cars, etc. with the US build numbers. I'm almost wondering if they're going off a specific date or calendar year and counted some of the 2014 cars. I'd also be curious who compiled their numbers since it's a contracted business that runs the show parts and certificates for the Performance Group and isn't handled in-house.

Although it wouldn't answer the basic question which can only be answered by comparing a list of VINs for all the cars, maybe an owner who bought a car built in late July just before the summer change-over to MY14 production will post their build number and see if it falls in the 13xxx range. Only other thing I can think of is if people want to send me a private message with the last six of their VIN I can compare it to the list of cars I have (which I don't want to post publicly for privacy reasons and it's also a big list of cars). I'll also see if I can get some of the early MY14 production numbers and check if adding any of those makes any sense. I had expected the "official" numbers might be off due to how types and markets are counted, but not by over a thousand cars.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't think their number is accurate and it does conflict against other data coming directly from Ford like the recent press release. Unfortunately without comparing a list of cars that I have to the list they have it would be hard to tell if there's some missing or counted twice (if the Canadian market cars were counted twice you'd get 13175, for example). If anything I'd expect their number to be less since automakers often don't include things like export, Canadian and Mexican market cars, etc. with the US build numbers. I'm almost wondering if they're going off a specific date or calendar year and counted some of the 2014 cars. I'd also be curious who compiled their numbers since it is a contracted business that runs the show parts and certificates for the Performance Group and isn't handled in-house.

Although it wouldn't answer the basic question which can only be answered by comparing a list of VINs for all the cars, maybe an owner who bought a car built in late July just before the summer change-over to MY14 production will post their build number and see if it falls in the 13xxx range. Only other thing I can think of is if people want to send me a private message with the last six of their VIN I can compare it to the list of cars I have (which I don't want to post publicly for privacy reasons and it's a big list of cars). I'll also see if I can get some of the early MY14 production numbers and see if adding any of those makes any sense. I had expected the "official" numbers might be off due to how types and markets are counted, but not by over a thousand cars.
Model change over was supposed to be end MY13 production 6/28/13, SOP 14 production 7/8/13 right after the Fourth of July holiday shutdown at least based on the regular Focus and other models produced at MAP.

1232 cars is more than 1 day's total production at MAP if they were running two shifts at 10 hours/ shift and 60 cars an hour or so like the target was at the time I was seeing/ hearing from them. (2 shifts x 10hr x 60car/hr =1200 cars/day estimated), and going on the basis that the ST was only running at ~10% of the focus production or there about's that would have taken 10 additional days of production to come up with their figure.

The sample vin provided was allegedly one of the final 70 built on or before 6/28/13 though according to the certificate, so that just leads to further questions.

Looking up vin 1FADP3L99DL383813 which is the number that's faint and hard to read on their image on the public facing side of ETIS confirms the basics, that it was a race red 2013 Focus ST built on 6/28/13.

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 11.12.13 PM.jpg

Now if we could see where it falls on your list vs the proposed 13575 units we might have something.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I should have posted end of June, not July for the end of the model year (with June correctly mentioned in the first post). I'm not home right now and will scrub through and take a look later tonight. Just off memory I want to say the 28th was indeed the last day of production for the last ST.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Production and sales data can be off in any model year due to how many TT, PP, MP1 and other "early cars" where built versus sold.

A lot of TTs and PPs never get sold, most MP1s do.

Also production dates are not hard and fast. The "switchover" date is merely the date the previous model year is stopped, and the new one goes full bore. TTs, PPs and sometimes (depends on the plant) MP1s are built before the switch to the new model.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts