Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what makes more power on a stock car with no tune? intake or exhaust?

Believe it or not, it is what ever mod you install first.

With out a tune, you are restricted by the parameters of the stock tuning on most newer cars.

So if there are parameters on how much fuel/ air they will let it, the first mod you install is going to be the one to take advantage of that room for change in the stock parameters.

This is why......

Aftermarket "bolt on" companies want to do their R&D on a stock car (so they can report higher HP numbers)

This is why, an exhaust company can claim 10hp on stock vehicle, an intake company can claim 10hp on a stock vehicle, but if you install both- you dont get 20hp total.

Some of my other favorites;

Guys who look at manufactures claims for hp improvement on a given vehicle- then install that mod and are upset because they dont get the same results ...when they had other mods done first.

Also, there is more then just throwing it on a dyno to understand what kind of numbers you are putting down-

When you install a modification- even when you disconnect the battery, it takes the ECU time to learn that modification-

Best example is when we designed a cat back for the 03/04 Cobra-

We could just bolt on the part, slap it back on the dyno- and it would only show a 6-7rwhp increase- but if we told the guy to go drive it for 50-60 miles and come back, it would show a 15-16rwhp increase

Just a little something for you all to remember when everyone starts bolting on parts after these cars come out.

Of course a lot of this does not apply to getting a tune- all of the above is for "bolt on" parts.

And for anyone interested, my car is on pre-order and I have all ready let my R&D department know they can have the car the first week I own it for R&D- so we should have a cat back done relatively quickly when the car is launched.

Check my signature- and I think youll be able to guess where I work- ;)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Do I sense a possible group buy for magnaflow? :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Love magnaflow. Would like to see an aftermarket exhaust that has two large tips as opposed to the oval(ish) one thats stock.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I love the tips on the ST exhaust. that's part of the reason I'm hesitant to upgrade the exhaust: the stock just looks so good. It's bigger than it looks in photos too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338047343.093905.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts