Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lisa just posted an update:

"I received word late last week that we'll have official numbers to share soon. I think everyone will be happy with both the performance and the efficiency of the ST! - Lisa Schoder Focus ST US Brand Manager"

Also, an earlier post from last week:

"Fuel Economy is one of the final certifications before sale but our early projections show the Focus ST should get north of 30 mpg on the highway label - Lisa Schoder Focus ST US Brand Manager"

C&D is estimating EPA city/highway driving of 22/32 mpg

2013 Ford Focus ST First Drive – Review – Car and Driver

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22/32 is better than my Rabbit. However, I hope this comes in a little higher.
I would get pretty close to 22 MPG on the highway with my WRX...I am looking forward to 30+ MPG!

I'm hoping it's higher than 21/31, which is the rating for the GTI.
I think 22/32 will be it....Ford wants to 1 up the GTI.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm thinking it probably matches up with the Mazdaspeed3 in performance yet gets 6 to 7 MPG better (Mazda rated at 18/25 if memory serves). That's a win for Ford.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Anything is better than the 21mpg highway I get in my current car. Ugh.

My 328i would get 30+ mpg if driving only highway (max was 32 on a long trip) despite being rated much lower. I'm hoping the Focus ST can get around 35mpg highway in the real world, even if it's only rated around 32.

I'm more interested in real world numbers than EPA ratings.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Anything is better than the 21mpg highway I get in my current car. Ugh.

My 328i would get 30+ mpg if driving only highway (max was 32 on a long trip) despite being rated much lower. I'm hoping the Focus ST can get around 35mpg highway in the real world, even if it's only rated around 32.

I'm more interested in real world numbers than EPA ratings.
Mazdaspeed3 rated at 25 mpg. My next door neighbor has one and says he regularly hits around 30 on long trips. I'd assume we'll see the same kind of effect for this car.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My current Focus gets 36 on the highway and about 26-28 in the city but it's a few years old. If It's around 25/35 I'll be happy. My Mustang gets about 20-23mpg combined mileage and 27-28mpg on the highway but I know it's rated for a lot less. EPA ratings almost always low ball the rating, unless it's a PRIUS, then they over estimate.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My current Focus gets 36 on the highway and about 26-28 in the city but it's a few years old. If It's around 25/35 I'll be happy. My Mustang gets about 20-23mpg combined mileage and 27-28mpg on the highway but I know it's rated for a lot less. EPA ratings almost always low ball the rating, unless it's a PRIUS, then they over estimate.
I always find the opposite to be true. My wife's kia and my current focus do considerably less than EPA estimates :(

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll go with 22/33.

With a high geared final ratio, the EPA highway estimates are often low because the highway tests occur at a lower speed than peak efficiency (my current car actually gets peak mileage at 85 when it's turning 2000 RPM). They're usually high on city mileage, if the city you live in is Los Angeles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My Focus is rated at 35mpg highway and I can easily beat that. It also depends on the weather and the fuel. I tend to get better mileage in the summer and worse in the winter. I also doing about 80 on the freeway when I'm getting 36-38mpg. The better I can maintain a steady speed the better economy I get. If traffic is crap and I'm stuck being people doing 60mph then my mileage goes down.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
In the Focus I'm driving now, with the powershift (I have a love/hate relationship with that transmission. Quick shifts, but it has no clue how to handle speeds < 10mph), I'm getting 35 average with about 75% hwy, 25% city. Not bad at all.

·
Registered
908 Posts
(I have a love/hate relationship with that transmission. Quick shifts, but it has no clue how to handle speeds < 10mph)
I was trying the "sport" mode on an X5 today, and found that it does some weird things with the transmission at slow speeds. It's like it keeps switching back and forth or something, the ride gets really jerky.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.