Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I had such a hard time choosing which exhaust would get me the most gains and how "complete" of an approach I wanted to take on my ST, I figured I would wait to see what others did and let aftermarket companies do what they do best (compete).

So I really wanted a muffler delete (axle-back exhaust) to hold me over. The muffler restricts a ton of air, not to mention a ton of sound. The 2013 Ford Focus ST "Eco-Flow" Exhaust from MRT looked perfect.

The instructions were very clear. Don't be picky with your first cut, as it is just to get the stock muffler out of the way, so you can make the money cut, right next to the frame. Everything bolts on easy, just make sure you tighten everything snug first, then get your tips where you want them, then tighten everything. Also pay attention to the positioning of the rubber bushings. Driver side in the top slot, passenger side in the bottom slot.

Some crappy cell phone pics:
2013-02-24_14-36-35_459.jpg 2013-02-24_14-39-10_750.jpg

2013-02-25_20-52-12_269.jpg 2013-02-25_20-51-53_691.jpg

Well the results are better than I expected. The sound is great! I made a (once again crappy) cell phone video of the exhaust right after I installed it:

2013 Focus ST MRT Eco-flow Exhaust Start up and Rev - YouTube

It actually sounds even better now that I have a few hundred miles on it! It looks great as well! I can't really comment on the power gains, as I took the opportunity the snow storms gave me, and replaced both my motor mounts and installed COBB's AP the same time I did the exhaust.

My favorite aspect of the exhaust is it's loud when you want it to be, and quiet when it should be. Great job MRT!

Drive safe!
eyes4eve:ST:

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
392 Posts
Looks and sounds great!

·
Registered
894 Posts
These are the 4" tips, correct? Seems like a great setup.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep! That's the 4" version!
Correct! 4" tips! Glad I went this route, as it fills the space much better than the 3" tips, to me. Could have gone polished or black tips. Decided to go with the polished stainless look, because of the price. Also, some people had some problems earlier with rust on their 3" tips. I believe MRT just got a bad batch of 304, because I can report mine as being rust free.

Reactions: hamiltonian

·
Registered
113 Posts
I can confirm that there was a bad batch, as I had to send mine back. They sent me the same system with the new tips (3" ) and it looks great now. It's an easy, inexpensive install and I haven't heard of anyone not liking the results yet ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
768 Posts
Man...........as soon as the money tree in my yard starts growing again, I am on this exhaust with the SS 4" tips!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I can confirm that there was a bad batch, as I had to send mine back. They sent me the same system with the new tips (3" ) and it looks great now. It's an easy, inexpensive install and I haven't heard of anyone not liking the results yet ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
That's great!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I really want this exhaust, but don't want the tips. Really want to get the stock tips welded on. Don't want to bastardize everything though...

Do you know if the distance between the outlets on the MRT is the same as on the stock muffler?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Any reason you chose to spend the extra money and buy this system vs just cutting out the muffler and having a shop weld in straight pipe??

I am planning to just do a muffler delete and replace it with stainless pipe and reusing the stock tip. Should be like $100-150

·
Registered
753 Posts
Any reason you chose to spend the extra money and buy this system vs just cutting out the muffler and having a shop weld in straight pipe??

I am planning to just do a muffler delete and replace it with stainless pipe and reusing the stock tip. Should be like $100-150
drone.... I actually tried a straight pipe muffler delete... sounded good on start up, idle and WOT... but in day to day driving the drone was pretty darn horrible! I can usually tolerate a fair amount of drone, but the straight delete has way to much drone even for me....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
drone.... I actually tried a straight pipe muffler delete... sounded good on start up, idle and WOT... but in day to day driving the drone was pretty darn horrible! I can usually tolerate a fair amount of drone, but the straight delete has way to much drone even for me....
Agreed! It's amazing how much sound you could pump out of this engine, if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Interesting. Hmm guess I will have to rethink my strategy b/c that last thing I want is heavy drone.
So your saying that extra bend or loop around of plain pipe eliminates the drone? I don't see any reason I couldn't use that same design to create my "custom" setup.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This isn't a shot at you, but I can't believe they can get $300 or more for a bent tube, some tips, and hangers. I mean even if it's 304 SS..

I guess if you don't want to deal with muffler shops or trying to fabricate yourself it may be worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts