Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This isn't a shot at you, but I can't believe they can get $300 or more for a bent tube, some tips, and hangers. I mean even if it's 304 SS..

I guess if you don't want to deal with muffler shops or trying to fabricate yourself it may be worthwhile.
Well, you may have a few professional shops around you, but I'm up in the boons. So I could drive a few hours to a shop, get a custom muffler delete fab'd, and maybe get it right.......or go with something shipped to me that is already proven for a few more dollars. Not to mention it's a first year model car. This is actually just going to hold me over until I swap the turbo, then get a turbo-back fabricated a few years down the road, once the platform is better understood.

As Scrming did, I also had a friend get a muffler delete custom made, and he could not stand the drone. He ripped it out within two days. Wasted effort......

Reactions: Orbhot

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, you may have a few professional shops around you, but I'm up in the boons. So I could drive a few hours to a shop, get a custom muffler delete fab'd, and maybe get it right.......or go with something shipped to me that is already proven for a few more dollars. Not to mention it's a first year model car. This is actually just going to hold me over until I swap the turbo, then get a turbo-back fabricated a few years down the road, once the platform is better understood.

As Scrming did, I also had a friend get a muffler delete custom made, and he could not stand the drone. He ripped it out within two days. Wasted effort......
Appreciate the input! I am very glad I asked about this before doing it and regretting it also.

I also plan to do this as a temporary thing until I do full catback. This is why I am trying to spend as little as possible.
I do have a very reliable muffler shop at my disposal to help me out. Your point is certainly valid about not wanting to drive for hours.

I think I am going to try and replicate the basic design of the MRT using the parts that the shop has available. I will certainly post the results. Maybe get it done before the end of the month.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For most people who dont know someone at a shop, the components including the bends, hangers, and tips plus labor would be somewhat close to the cost of the MRT. Plus not knowing how well it will come out makes the difference worth it for most people. If you're not paying for most of the components then by all means its a good route, but what MRT has done is make that system that is known to sound good easily accessible for the masses.

·
Registered
753 Posts
For most people who dont know someone at a shop, the components including the bends, hangers, and tips plus labor would be somewhat close to the cost of the MRT. Plus not knowing how well it will come out makes the difference worth it for most people. If you're not paying for most of the components then by all means its a good route, but what MRT has done is make that system that is known to sound good easily accessible for the masses.
Very well said!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
/\
l
l
Second that

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree. But I want to reuse the stock tip. This is the most expensive part on a custom setup so this is the only reason I am doing it this way.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Someone lend me $400 so I can buy this! I'll work it off! Lol

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Someone lend me $400 so I can buy this! I'll work it off! Lol
I'll give you mine when I figure out what direction I'm going with the car. You just have to give me a year or two :LOL:

Reactions: KEVOP

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'll give you mine when I figure out what direction I'm going with the car. You just have to give me a year or two :LOL:
Dan......if you'll "give it to me" as your post states.....I can wait bro lol

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Dan......if you'll "give it to me" as your post states.....I can wait bro lol
Why not? Your the first to ask. I'll have no real use for it if I replace the entire exhaust, reason being is 2.5" pipe is big enough for the little k03 in our cars. I would go with the full exhaust only when I replace the turbo. The 3 biggest reasons I'm waiting for this are:

1.) I'm waiting for price of the new RS, if they build the RS in the states or at all. I'm almost certain I won't want to pay as much as Ford is going to ask, but I said the exact thing about the ST.

2.) If NO RS, then I'll swap my turbo in the pursuit of speed. Doing this will require a new intercooler, new intake, new downpipe, new exhaust, deleting some things, along with lots and lots of money and time. So I'll think on that one for a couple........years or so.

3.) I'm in no rush, because this thing sounds SOOOOOOOO good!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Why not? Your the first to ask. I'll have no real use for it if I replace the entire exhaust, reason being is 2.5" pipe is big enough for the little k03 in our cars. I would go with the full exhaust only when I replace the turbo. The 3 biggest reasons I'm waiting for this are:

1.) I'm waiting for price of the new RS, if they build the RS in the states or at all. I'm almost certain I won't want to pay as much as Ford is going to ask, but I said the exact thing about the ST.

2.) If NO RS, then I'll swap my turbo in the pursuit of speed. Doing this will require a new intercooler, new intake, new downpipe, new exhaust, deleting some things, along with lots and lots of money and time. So I'll think on that one for a couple........years or so.

3.) I'm in no rush, because this thing sounds SOOOOOOOO good!
I'll take it....and pay for shipping.....and pay for dinner for your for a month. I can wait. I thought about making this thing a beast, like you, but I just bought my first house last year, and have lots of work to do to it, like finishing the basement, that will cost me about $15k, and that takes priority over anything. If your serious bro, I will take it and arrang everything.....if you're "giving" it to me

·
Registered
532 Posts
Have you found that there is a decent amount of black soot or dust or w/e you want to call it coming out of this exhaust?

I washed the car a few days ago and the bottom of the tip is like black now. May not be unusual for a turbo car, but still something that surprises me.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Have you found that there is a decent amount of black soot or dust or w/e you want to call it coming out of this exhaust?

I washed the car a few days ago and the bottom of the tip is like black now. May not be unusual for a turbo car, but still something that surprises me.
Yep, it's not so much the turbo as the Direct Injection.... For what ever reason, DI motors like to run on the richer side and produce an amazing amount of soot! Had a DI motor in our Acadia, Camaro and Mini... none of them turbo, but all of them DI and all of them had plenty of soot on the tips!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, you will have that with a DI turbo engine. It actually accumulates a lot less since I switched. The angles of the stock exhaust tip catch all kinds of soot. If you watch the video from the first page of the thread, you can even see the distinct difference of white smoke when idling, and black smoke when revving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
what are the chances of actually saving the stock exhaust while installing this? i know it requires cutting but does it look like something a muffler shop could put back on?

·
Registered
753 Posts
what are the chances of actually saving the stock exhaust while installing this? i know it requires cutting but does it look like something a muffler shop could put back on?
Personally i don't know enough about welding... but my wild guess it "maybe"... might take some doing but might be possible... I would say when you make your first cut to get the muffler out of the way, you leave some pipe sticking out from the muffler... but again, that's just my guess...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are you asking me or Scrming?
For the MRT exhaust, you can save it easily...you can just weld it back together where you make the cut to remove it.

For my custom setup, sort of the same thing. You can cut it wherever you want really, but the easiest way to do it is cut off the tubing as close to the muffler as possible. This may make it hard to weld back on, but not impossible.
If you are planning to have to weld it back together you should just have them cut out the muffler and go drive around for a little while and see if you like the sound or not.

So in summary, yes they can weld it back on if you really need it to be, but obviously that would be a big waste of time and money on your part.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Considering I was able to re-use a stock ST exhaust with a few modifcations to re-orient the piping relative to the different cat flange angles for my 2012 Focus that I'm about to trade in for an ST tonight. It was successfully reinstalled by an acutal muffler shop, so if you cut it cleanly you can stitch it back together, even if it would mean cutting back a little bit more of the rear section of the front piece of tube and sliding a tube over both pieces to weld it to be gas tight.

The first shop that butchered my stock exhaust from the 2012 Focus by cutting it too close to the resonator, which means that one might not be as easily repaired, but oh well. Maybe someone else will need a stock exhaust for the 12 and I can get rid of it, but I wasn't going to leave it to the first shop for scrap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hope you don't mind if I tack onto this thread. I finally got the pics of my install uploaded. Feel free to check out the album.

After a trip across state and back (approximately 450 miles)...I have mixed feelings. First off, the fitment just isn't working for me. I had the tips pretty much centered, but after my trip to Milwaukee, the tips were all cock-eyed again.

Tips After Trip by adfrost81, on Flickr

I plan on contacting MRT to figure out what can be done. As-is, I don't know what more I can do to adjust it. It seems like the angle of the pipe where it connects to the stock exhaust cut must be off somehow.

Secondly, the sound. This being my first "performance" exhaust (and first performance car), I don't really have any points of reference for what is considered "loud" when it comes to an exhaust. Around the 3k-4k RPM range, I'd say it's DAMN LOUD. Like, I can't even hear my music loud. Cruising at 70 mph/2800 RPM it's silent as stock....can't even tell it's there. At 75 mph/3000 RPM, a slight drone starts. At 80 mph/3200 RPM, it's a full-out drone that's quite noticeable. Just for shits & giggles, I did an 80-100 mph acceleration on a straight away. After that 4k range, it actually starts to mellow out a bit. Considering cruise is in this range, and a lot of my shifting occurs in this range (when accelerating more aggressively), I think this may wear on me.

Once I got in town, I did a 0-70 launch. That 3k-4k range is kinda brutal. And I swear there was some added vibration (pressure?) I could feel in the pedals/floor that I don't recall experiencing on the stock exhaust.

Now, as I stated, I have no frame of reference. So maybe I need to just get used to it. But for now...I'm not totally secure in my decision to go this route. :?: But hey, the exhaust is cut, so there's no going back now!

Reactions: Orbhot
21 - 40 of 40 Posts